« best. costume. ever. :: "the Earth if the Earth Was a Sandwich" | Main | "a typographic anatomy lesson" »

November 3, 2010

charlie chaplin time traveler

i didn't think this video was for real until i saw for myself :: click below to see for YOURself ::

nicholas jackson at the atlantic seems to have it figured out :: http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/11/debunking-the-charlie-chaplin-time-travel-video/65486/

It's interesting to see how perception of gestures changes over time. I'm quite sure no one in 1928 would have made the same association the gentleman in the video made. On a similar note, I used to think people walking on the street talking out loud to no one in particular had escaped from a loony bin; now I just envy their bluetooth handset.

Posted by: Stephan at November 3, 2010 2:23 PM

it's surely an old hearing aid. siemens made some in the early 1900s. some commenters on slashdot linked the siemens historical site and it's undoubtedly what she's holding.

Posted by: ronji at November 3, 2010 2:43 PM

looks like LiveScience is saying that it's an old hearing aide. Gizmodo just ran a story on it too:

Posted by: Andrew at November 3, 2010 5:03 PM

Well. If it were mobile phone in 1928, it would be useless, as she would have no one she could call.

Plus, she wouldn't have a net.

So her talking wouldn't make sense.

Posted by: Manuel at November 3, 2010 10:22 PM

Well it's surely NOT a cell phone. She might be scratching, fixing her hair, talking to herself IF she is actually talking or perhaps adjusting a hearing aid. Let's get real, someone is trying to make something out of nothing for a profit.

Posted by: Ralph at November 3, 2010 11:56 PM

I would love the idea of time travel, but I would recommend people not get their hopes up just yet. It would have to be quite a bit in the future, as cellular phones these days still require a network of towers (even if you're really rocking it old school with an Iridium phone, they require satellites) I would love to get excited about this, but I'm retaining some skepticism.

Posted by: transiit at November 4, 2010 3:56 AM

Also, as some have commented, who would she be talking to and how? There were no telephone masts at the time, after all.

Posted by: zeptimius at November 4, 2010 4:40 AM

I like the time traveler explanation most, so lets just go with that :)

Posted by: Monthelie at November 4, 2010 6:28 AM

It's the "Ba Ba Ba / Fa Fa Fa" thing all over again. Person is using original sun block: hand.

Posted by: jeano at November 4, 2010 1:01 PM

Personally I'm convinced it actually IS a time traveller. Because dressing up in drag as an old granny and then travelling back in time to 1928 to use a mobile phone at the premier of a Charlie Chaplin movie is exactly what you would do with time travel at your disposal.

Posted by: Aidan Donnelly at November 4, 2010 7:17 PM

Um. It's CLEARLY an new iPhone ear piece. Who is she talking to? People from the future... There's an app for that.

Posted by: Sarah at November 4, 2010 7:40 PM

Well, clearly it has to be a time traveler. I mean, what else could it be? (Sarcasm)

Posted by: Mike at November 5, 2010 11:00 PM

I'm really curious to know if someone has a non-dvd version of the movie. You never know how bored those video producers can get these days.

Posted by: Somejeff at November 9, 2010 11:33 PM