« "water sculpture" | Main | dream illustrator »

January 21, 2011

"movies i don't remember"

synopses, from memory, of movies 'shortround' only dimly remembers :: http://www.moviesidontremember.com/ :: got one to add?

There are two movies I remember from elementary school (early to mid 80's), but can't remember enough to find them again. Help anyone? Thanks!

1) Movie about a planet that people from Earth are living on where, for whatever reason, the sun only shines every umpteen years. The girl who loves the sun the most gets locked in a closet as a prank and misses the sun--and it's really tragic.

2) A movie about a build-your-own grandma place. The kids go into the grandma factory and a custom-built grandma appears (delivered by helicopter) and is the perfect grandma...until the kids see her charging her batteries in the basement. Maybe they got this robotic grandma because their mom had just died?

Posted by: anonymousgirl at January 21, 2011 9:33 PM

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. Loved it. Saw it what seems like a gazillion times in high school. Laughed like crazy. I would instinctively include it among my all-time favorites...

...but honestly I couldn't tell you anything about it, except that there was some kind of hilarious forehead-licking-and-slapping scene and it has some of the coolest actors ever. Anyone have the same feeling?

Posted by: paperotta at January 23, 2011 6:52 PM

Oo, I have one to add:
Rosemary's Baby, (some time in the 1960's, I believe)
A (married?) couple moves into a new neighborhood and/or building and then things start to get unspecifically weird. The woman then gets pregnant and it is apparently weird and she starts getting weirded out by all the weird people doing weird things around her.

I think. Maybe. I might have the wrong movie.

Posted by: Psi at January 23, 2011 9:48 PM

The movie about the girl who gets locked in the closet on the one day the sun comes out is based on the Ray Bradbury short story 'All Summer In A Day'. I've never seen the movie, though. I do remember the story was heartbreaking.

The build-your-own-grandma movie sounds cool.

Posted by: rumigirl at February 1, 2011 2:28 AM

@ rumigirl: Thank you so much for the name of the 'All Summer in a Day' movie. I have wanted to see that again for years... I just watched it on youtube!

Posted by: anonymousgirl at April 21, 2011 2:54 PM

I came across your comment looking for the movie myself and since I found the answer I doubled back to share it with you.

Apparently it was also done as episodes of the Twilight Zone (both the old and the new series) under the same title. However what I remember was the TV movie.

The Electric Grandmother