« "art of the title" :: silver screen titles through the ages | Main | "everybody poops" :: Black Eyed Peas' new video »

March 30, 2011

Skittles Touch Vids and BBDO Toronto

the new skittles touch campaign is a straight rip of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mS5RK0Yo6w - wow! they take a concept from a viral video - dump a marketing budget on it...and it goes viral! OMG! bbdo is publicly patting itself on the back for the concept. so lame.

you expect less from douche-bags in marketing? I think they deserve some douche-mail!

Posted by: joey at March 30, 2011 9:47 PM

Thanks for impregnating my finger! I've been trying for years and all the doctors and drugs in the world couldn't help me; and then...in walks zefrank and creates a miracle. Thanks again! I'm gonnna be a pamapama.

Posted by: Chris at March 30, 2011 11:47 PM

At least you can be comforted in the fact that the commercials are not very funny. Me and my pregnant finger agree.

Posted by: jenUnderscore_ at March 31, 2011 10:19 AM

You've impregnated over 500,000 fingers...they just tease you and leave without a climax. You win.

By the way, If I don't start seeing child support from my finger-baby-daddy, I'm calling Judge Judy. If she don't slap a bitch, my former-brother-now-sister Laqueefa knows how to get us on Springer.

Thanks for the laughs, man.

Posted by: Sean at March 31, 2011 1:05 PM

Didn't Colbert steal that donut joke from you too? You're just going to have to realize you're popular to steal from ;)

Posted by: Threeboy at March 31, 2011 1:27 PM

I don't think that's just a rip-off of you; it looks similar also to that popular image of the puppy licking the screen.

Posted by: Rory Marinich at March 31, 2011 7:16 PM

Taco Bell failed viral attempt "Shrimp Crashers" are a ripoff of Tim and Eric's Beaver Boys, too. The internet is all about people laughing at stuff and not understanding what it is, though :(

Posted by: DMack at March 31, 2011 8:19 PM

It's a technique. Not a concept. I don't think copying a technique can be said to be 'ripping off' your creative idea. If you invented the technique of holding your finger to a screen, then yes, they probably copied it. But none of the actual creative idea is the same. I guess the main difference is the skittles spot was actually funny.

Posted by: Doug at March 31, 2011 11:00 PM

my.. my finger feels.... soooo dirty.

Everything's a Remix, right?

This is nice lecture by Lawrence Lessig on the same topic-

Posted by: DS Bakker at April 1, 2011 5:47 PM

What skittles commercial?

Posted by: Laura at April 4, 2011 1:33 AM

Um...I have to disagree with ol' Doug.

Sure there is a technique involved. But also an aesthetic. And the aesthetic at the beginning, with the white screen with the red circle, is pretty damn similar.

Also, ze's thing was much funnier. Skittles' ad people try way too hard to be "quirky". I imagine a bunch of boring people in an office looking at one another and saying, "I dunno, is this whimsical enough, d'you think? Does it have the correct ratio of nonsensicality to be in keeping with our brand?"

Posted by: Alison at April 16, 2011 9:59 PM