« curiosity adds to evidence that water once flowed on mars | Main | true facts about hedgehogs »

October 2, 2012

getting better

The two messages may have been a fabrication from the same person. Regardless, the message herein is real and valuable.

Thanks for making this Ze, I hope it finds the people that need it.

Posted by: Andrew Martin at October 2, 2012 4:23 PM

Dear Ze.

After Watching your video "Getting Better" I was filled with a palpable desire to do something. The obvious youtube thing to do was make a video about all the difficult times I have and how with a lot of time and help I got through them. But there was something holding me back. I have lived a very charmed life. I have not suffered abuse, nor was I a target of bullying when I was in school. My family was well off enough to give me everything I needed and I was not spoiled enough to not be happy with it. And not I have graduated college and will be starting a job that I am excited about very soon. Basically I am one lucky son of a bitch. I am telling you this because you reached out to people suffering and I want to as well. You offer solace in your own experience where I can only give a ear and a shoulder to cry and lessen. Anyway I want to thank you for the video.

P.S. Because I was in a mood to do something that day I ended up buying my Mom something nice that she did not ask for because she is the one who made my life possible.

Posted by: Kevin August Landesman at October 4, 2012 12:23 PM

It gets better. The truth is pain makes you stronger. It has made me the person I am today. It has shaped my future.
Perhaps as a project could we make a "It Gets Better" video? A community coming together to let each other know that they are not alone in their pain and that it does get better is powerful and can change--and save--lives.

Posted by: Madz at October 5, 2012 2:59 AM

This is heavy... VERY heavy. You did a wonderful thing with this video. I hope you don't feel responsible in any way for what happened. Even if you had talked about it when you read that comment, odds are something else would have driven this poor person over the edge.

Thank you ze, for being.

Posted by: Mik at October 9, 2012 10:01 PM

Thank you. For the forthrightness. And truth. Stunning how pain can sweep in and undo work, thoughts, things I knew once, felt at home with. Your creativity is beautiful and clearly comes from your core. The pain is often there, too. Right alongside the creativity. I'm fighting against pain, too. Many are. Why is life painful?

Posted by: Nish at October 16, 2012 10:57 AM

First off, I want to say something that I feel needs to be said:
Just because you are not "different" doesn't mean that you can't have problems.
No one believes I have problems. Not my parents, not my classmates, no one. The only one who will listen is the guy who sent me this video, and I thank God for him.
I am a straight A student. So? I have a normal family life. So? When I say "I go to ["smart school name]" people literally step back, shocked, and say "You're one of THEM". I want to be proud of my gifts. I want to be able to say "I work hard at school" without getting a chorus of "LOSER!" and other hateful stuff. It is not even jealousy or envy. It is just intolerance and indifference.
Ignorance is a hallmark of humanity. It is present in all of us, whether we see it or not. I mean, the first Ze video I watched was the hedgehog one. It was funny, but would I have ever seen or expected you to be who you told us you were right here? No. Not at all. Ignorance blinds us to each other's pain. It blinds us to each other in general. It is sad that it takes this level of tragedy to get people to look at each other and realize that we are all one people on one small rock in space. Instead we see each other as horrible things, blinded to who and what they are.
The other day I was feeling awful. I mean really awful. I had just been on the phone with my grandfather telling him goodbye for the very last time. I was on Facebook absent-mindedly. I scrolled through over three dozen "friends" who were online, and I knew that I couldn't talk to a single one about what I was feeling and even remotely being taken seriously. I tried one. And I got back a "shouldnt u b studying? >:P". I remember when I was in elementary school there was a covered slide that no one ever used and I would go into it and cry every recess. Tell me now how "perfect" I am.
To Ze,
I have not watched many...or really any...or your videos. I will try to more, because you are both funny but also care about what people think. It is a rare thing to see a YouTuber who actually reads his/her comments and cares enough to even reply back let alone do something like this. I do not know how you feel. (I hate it when people say "I know EXACTLY how you feel!") All I know is that you have taken a leap of faith to go out and help the world. This is now and always will be my go-to for people I see in pain. It doesn't matter where it comes from or why it happens. It always has and it always will exist. I just cannot quite describe how meaningful this is. Heck, I don't even know if anyone will ever read this. I don't know if you, or anyone else, will ever see this message. But know this if you do read it. To me at least, a life is given worth by what it leaves behind. It gets its meaning from how it is used. Hitler and Mother Teresa are both very meaningful people, but for different reasons. The fact that you are willing to do this to help anyone and everyone who needs it is just .... awesome. To me, this is the most meaningful YouTube video I have and probably ever will see. You have helped me for sure, and I know that you have helped thousands and thousands more....
Thank you.