ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

MoJoRiSin 08-02-2011 02:52 AM

page 66 of the August 1 People Magazine

i c
ry practically on a daily basis

lukkucairi 08-02-2011 10:03 AM

gee, really?

remembering my father's dementia.

xfox 08-17-2011 10:22 PM

What is the record for the longest time to judge the DG?

Brynn 08-17-2011 11:20 PM

I thought that thread was dead

Odbe 08-19-2011 10:12 AM

Don't assume until you cut off its head and burn it.

xfox 08-19-2011 10:19 PM

Where is Lukki?

Hyakujo's Fox 08-20-2011 02:40 AM

she's on tour

brightpearl 09-10-2011 07:28 PM

Just about 10 years ago, I was home with my son, and I turned on the TV for the morning news. For the next hour, I would alternately break into sobs and then force smiles for the boy, as he would look confused and then cry reflexively in response. I made myself turn it off to avoid scaring him to death, but I kept checking the news online, and tried to fill in friends who were stuck at work with fewer ways to find out what was going on.

I've had many awful, awful days since then for me personally, but that was easily the worst day of my life even though I knew no one directly affected.

Here I am now, 10 years on, with another infant son whose birth could not have then been predicted. How that day will ultimately prove to have changed the world my sons will inherit is similarly unpredictable.

Where were you? What was it like? Does it matter now?

People still talk about how beautiful the sky was.

xfox 09-11-2011 05:37 PM

Yes, it was a awful time. I was also looking at the Today Show and Matt and Katie seemed stunned to the point of disbelief at such an occurrence. I find it hard to believe the Marines who were blown up in Beiruit were not avenged, among other terrorist activities prior to the WTC.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost friends and family.

Stephi_B 09-11-2011 07:48 PM

i was sleeping till late and then procrastinating from learning for my first pre-diploma exam (organic chemistry, which i HAT). then around 1pm (it happened at 3pm our time) my best mate from uni called and we chatted away for almost two hours. just when i hung up my grandma called me and urged me to turn on the TV. what i saw was the first plane having hit, and i thought "shit, that looks like 'independence day'...". and while granny and me just watched in disbelieve and shock the second plane hit and my grandma muttered "...terrorists". just then my mate called again, on the cell phone, asking me breathless if i had on the TV, "yes".

i spent most of the following 3 days in front of the TV, i fell asleep in front of it and woke up to it, and i phoned a lot with my family, and when the next day there was a condolence speech at the parliament i had to cry when it came to the sentence "today we are all americans".

i figure that day was and is for my generation the same as the fall of the berlin wall (which i CAN remember, i was 9 and allowed to stay up late to watch it on TV, although i live right at the former border and where it broke through first and as heartwarming and GREAT and POSITIVE the old footages are, it's definitely further away for me, more "historic"-like) for the previous one: it changed how the world was like before. but maybe the time period from '89 to '01 was just a little break from the world being the same with a different flavour? dunno :confused:

Bman 09-11-2011 10:20 PM

...I was in middle school. 2nd Period. Kind of hard to comprehend what was going on at the time. Few weeks later, veteran uncle demands that we take a trip to Disney. To show the terrorists whatfor.

Hyakujo's Fox 09-12-2011 03:53 AM

I'd been out for a long evening walk. I got home it was 10:45. I dithered a bit between going straight to my bedroom or sitting in front of the late news for a bit while I cooled off. In the end I opted to watch the news for a few minutes. So I watched. About 12:15 I really needed to call someone but I didn't really want to wake up anybody for this. I remembered my friend working in Paris, so I called her at her office. "Are you watching?" she said. "Yes" I said. In the end I watched til about 3 in the morning when there was nothing left to say.

Sometimes I still think of it and say to myself "Geez that actually happened."

brightpearl 09-12-2011 11:56 AM

I also remember seeing this, which helped a little bit.

Any fool can destroy; it takes real courage and conviction and effort to rebuild one 5-gallon plastic bucket at a time. And the dream can be realized; hopefully for more than a moment, someday.

And then 5 years later, I saw this, which also helped. It was the first Show I ever saw, and then I started watching, and then I started participating, and eventually I stopped numbing through life. In retrospect, there's been a long chain of connected events...from massive scale destruction and rebuilding to very small...that lead to the way things are for me today. So strange to see from that perspective.

I'm so grateful for so many things.

craig johnston 09-12-2011 02:29 PM

how long did it take to go from 'we are all american' to 'freedom fries'?

Stephi_B 09-12-2011 04:33 PM

18 months and 8 days.