ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Post something that made you laugh today. (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=4329)

Hyakujo's Fox 06-15-2004 11:51 AM

In further duckling related developments...

Smartypants 06-15-2004 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Avalon
You've missed your calling SP; you should be writing kids books:p
Hmmm. Well, apparently I have a future in the news media! :rolleyes:

Coffee 06-15-2004 03:33 PM

So this photographer must have been working on his resume for National Geographic???

Like..."see, see...I can shoot photos of animals walking into the jaws of death without interfering...please pay me take photos of small African animals getting eaten by giant crocodiles".

I just can't get over the heartlessness of the Photographer (if they are actual photos of course and not contrived or photoshopped for the sake of the "actual story")

Clytie 06-15-2004 04:31 PM

wowow all this indepth discussion about the falsifying (sp?) of duck photos! lol

Smartypants 06-15-2004 07:43 PM

Back to the topic of things that made us laugh today, there's this:

I passed the duck photo on to my mom (under the header, "Bad Mother!"), and this is her (I fear to say, typical) response.

Quote:

Au contraire, mon ami!

Survival of the fittest- she was teaching them to QUESTION EVERYTHING - (some lessons never get to be used, but still....) it's not a good idea to think one's parents always knows what they are doing.

Follow NO ONE blindly.

Hero worship, like induced fear, only leads to bitterness. And in this case- just a thought -_ what she, Mammy Duckie,_ MIGHT have been doing, is trading quantity for quality.

N.

P.S.

In reference to the duck that might be somebody's mother, and by one of those coincidences that are often taken as the hand of god in human affairs, I just read this_ not-so-light-hearted poem, by the not- so-light-hearted- Philip Larkin:

"They f-ck you up, your mum and dad
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were f-cked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself. "

This Be the Verse, by Philip Larkin

Smartypants 06-15-2004 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AND THEN --

Since I had sentthe duck photo to a long list, and Mommy hit the REPLY TO ALL button, this came back from a friend of mine:

This famous poem was the inspiration for one of the most inspired magazine covers Iíve ever encountered, on an issue of Granta magazine http://www.granta.com/back-issues/37?usca_p=t some years ago:

Klynne 06-15-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by masterofNone
so, my son just called. he said "want to hear a funny story?" i said, "sure." "we were going to mom's wedding and devin wanted to get the wrinkles out of a blouse so she throws it into the dryer which has some dry clothes in it still warm. we sit down and watch some tv. after a while the dryer starts to thump thump thump. i say ' devin, did you throw some shoes in the dryer?' she says 'no.' i think it must be that it's gotten out of balance and i go to check. i open it up and my cat falls out."
i started to laugh, "that's not a funny story. that's not funny. that's not a funny story." but of course at this point i'm in tears. "is the cat...?"
"the cat's fine, though she didn't look fine for a while after we got her out. she's been real affectionate for the past day now."

that's not funny. that's not a funny story.

I am glad that the cat was rescued. I had a call a couple of years ago from a friend, who is also my supervisor. She was in tears, and could not talk. I was worried something happened to one of her kids. She finally managed to get it out that she had killed her cat. She turned the drier on, and went upstairs. When she went to take her clothes out, she felt Timmons body. I went over armed with rubber gloves, lysol and a garbage bag. I got his body out of the drier and cleaned it out the best I could. Cats love warm places. All of you with cats, double check your drier between loads. It was very sad, I really liked that cat. I know if something happened to one of mine, I would have to have someone else come over and dispose of the body.

masterofNone 06-15-2004 08:30 PM

see? i knew it wasn't a funny story. just not funny.

Avalon 06-15-2004 08:44 PM

I have a photo of my cat sitting in the dryer attached to a huge magnet that says: CHECK FOR CAT! Twinky got a 5 second tumble once and that was more than enought for both of us. I also check the dish washer as more than once I have caught someone in there checking things out.

Smartypants 06-15-2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

I also check the dish washer as more than once I have caught someone in there checking things out.
I have found that my cries of pain when I bang my shins on the open dishwasher door help keep the dishwasher cat free.

Av, do you leave the door to your microwave open, too?

:p

Avalon 06-15-2004 10:01 PM

No I do not SP!!:p

They jump in as I am loading or unloading the darn thing. I love my cats, but if there is such a thing as seconds or irregulars in the animal world..I have them, trust me:rolleyes:

Avalon 06-17-2004 04:14 PM

I have some serious family business this weekend, I took half a day off today. I have been helping my mom with the arduous task of making out thank you cards.
As I stated an eon ago, they have been redoing my entire road. today, a nice man came to the door and asked if we still wanted our old mail box. This is how it went:

Man: Are you sure you don't want it?
Me: yes, I am sure; just take it away.
Man: I can wait while you make sure.
Me: I am sure, you can just have it.
Man: do you want to ask your husband?
Me: What? No, we already had this talk. Take the mailbox, please.
Man: only if you are sure.
Me: YES, I am sure!! Take it now!

My mother is watching all of this from the kitchen. She waits til he is gone and says: He was looking at your black eye. DUH! I forget about it til I look in the mirror. Poor guy; probably thinks I am going to get the snot beat out of me because of the mail box now :eek: Where is my brother when I need him??;)

lapietra 06-17-2004 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dinzdale
WHOo-oOOOoooOOOHHhhOOOo---WHoooo
-----OOOOOoooohhhHHH...

OW
OW
;;;;;;;
<<<<<<
...OW

*THUD*

Sorry Frank :(

Klynne 06-17-2004 07:50 PM

Quote:

I have some serious family business this weekend, I took half a day off today. I have been helping my mom with the arduous task of making out thank you cards.
As I stated an eon ago, they have been redoing my entire road. today, a nice man came to the door and asked if we still wanted our old mail box. This is how it went:

Man: Are you sure you don't want it?
Me: yes, I am sure; just take it away.
Man: I can wait while you make sure.
Me: I am sure, you can just have it.
Man: do you want to ask your husband?
Me: What? No, we already had this talk. Take the mailbox, please.
Man: only if you are sure.
Me: YES, I am sure!! Take it now!

My mother is watching all of this from the kitchen. She waits til he is gone and says: He was looking at your black eye. DUH! I forget about it til I look in the mirror. Poor guy; probably thinks I am going to get the snot beat out of me because of the mail box now :eek: Where is my brother when I need him??;)

Thanks for making me giggle!

Spicy Jack 06-17-2004 08:12 PM

Strawberry Kiwi Water.