ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ¿ question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Avalon 10-30-2007 01:31 PM

Can not give you a specific number..hopefully, I am not done meeting people I may care about. If someone enriches your life, brings you love, happiness/joy, then it follows that their loss would bring you tears. Ask for a list of those I would not shed tears for, and a number might be more readily available.

craig johnston 10-30-2007 02:13 PM

i meant if they died today of course. not people yet unmet.
so the answer is the worlds population minus those you wouldn't
shed a tear for (since that number is more readily available).
:rolleyes:

anyway, my answer is 4 blood relations and about 15 friends.

roughly equates with my christmas present list.

:)

Avalon 10-30-2007 02:27 PM

Quote:

how many people would you shed tears for if they died?
Pfft.
I answered the question as asked.
But, coming from a large family, it is many more than your mentioned numbers for both family and friends. Though not nearly as large as AKH's list........:p

12"razormix 10-30-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig johnston (Post 366790)
i meant if they died today of course. not people yet unmet.
so the answer is the worlds population minus those you wouldn't
shed a tear for (since that number is more readily available).
:rolleyes:

anyway, my answer is 4 blood relations and about 15 friends.

roughly equates with my christmas present list.

this is a very hard question. do you mean literally "cry" or just be sorry they died? how important is the crying part?

craig johnston 10-30-2007 06:04 PM

yeah, some people cry easier than others. i mean those
people who's death would cause you such grief that you
would lose control of your emotions, i guess. i was thinking
about the large number of friends i have, and how important
they were to me, and wondering how many people can be
that important. i mean, how much space have we got in our
lives?
that sort of thing

Hyakujo's Fox 10-30-2007 06:30 PM

well, there's myself, of course... but who knows, sometimes you can't cry, at least immediately, sometimes you might cry depending on the way you hear the news, you can cry when a character in a movie dies, or someone's tragic story is told on the television, you might cry for a stranger if they died in front of you.

If you ask how many people there are whose deaths would definitely be something awful and disturbing for me, there are probably a dozen or so people who are like the permanent cast of my life, and maybe half a dozen or more who are playing a major role right now, then it becomes a little cloudy.

Hyakujo's Fox 10-30-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig johnston (Post 366822)
i was thinking
lives?

perhaps also how few people can be that important, before we feel 'under-connected'?

Brynn 10-30-2007 07:25 PM

Interesting question - As a teenager, I didn't cry immediately when my father died - it took a couple of years. But nowadays I tend to cry for anything and everybody, including - and especially - pets. I'm an indiscriminate crybaby. When I was pregnant it was even worse - I found myself crying while watching Folger's commercials or the National Cheerleading Championships, and I don't even like high school cheerleaders. Something about the fact that this stupid event would probably be the highlight of their young lives, and then unending banality thereafter...

T.I.P. 10-30-2007 07:30 PM

i think i cried during an episode of House M.D. once. Well, i shed a tear. Kind of.

lukkucairi 10-30-2007 08:00 PM

I'd guess at any given time probably about 150 people, met and unmet. That's the Dunbar number.

Internal psychology also plays a huge role as to whether the death of someone I don't know affects me. I never expected to cry for Ronald Reagan, but I did. I don't even like Reagan!

trisherina 10-31-2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig johnston (Post 366822)
yeah, some people cry easier than others. i mean those
people who's death would cause you such grief that you
would lose control of your emotions, i guess. i was thinking
lives?
that sort of thing

There isn't an end to the space. It's the best thing about humans.

madasacutsnake 10-31-2007 07:44 AM

Make that thirty-seven old people..........

Hyakujo's Fox 10-31-2007 08:02 AM

:(

T.I.P. 10-31-2007 08:03 AM

:(

Stephi_B 10-31-2007 08:51 AM

New ¿question?, for Wed 10/31/07:

OK, maybe not scary as Halloween would require... now unless what you think romantic is rather scary for most other people?

¿What was the most romantic thing a lover/boyfriend/girlfriend/wife/husband ever did for you?

For me that was when my ex played for me on the guitar (which he had brought along all the 800-900km travelling by coach to Berlin extra for that reason) - out on the balcony, some of my neighbours popped their heads out after a while. And he also sang to it - actually quite good! - after some encouragement, some indie thingies, dunno, been too occupied with grinning quite daffy.... :)