ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This Is The Thread Where We Have An Announcement To Make... (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12624)

Odbe 07-26-2008 09:10 PM

Announcement: Yesterday I went citying again to go to a qualification day for a very special national-student-science-nerd gettogether where they made me do strange things like interviews speeches and 'team building exercises' involving buttons. I find out 'by the end of the week' if I'm in. If I am I'll be so happy I won't know what to do. :)

lukkucairi 07-27-2008 12:06 PM

^good luke! I mean luck! :)

brightpearl 07-27-2008 10:27 PM

I just moved a really big limestone rock, into a gravel path, where it wanted to be.

I'm going to regret it tomorrow, but right now I'm really proud of myself.
:D

lukkucairi 07-28-2008 01:29 AM

I'm proud of you too :)

Odbe 07-28-2008 03:04 AM

^^ That has some wonderful symbolism to it. Congrats :)

Odbe 07-31-2008 05:29 AM

I didn't get in :(

brightpearl 07-31-2008 08:39 AM

^:(
Sorry, Odds.
We love you just the same as yesterday.

Stephi_B 07-31-2008 11:04 AM

^^Oi :( :(

You'll be invited to a cooler, nerdier event -- sure as eggs is eggs :)

Stephi_B 07-31-2008 11:11 AM

Ah, as I'm here: I wanna announce that my thesis is printed and bound in 4 copies,
that I have all things I need to have to submit it, the form is filled, boss has signed it etc. pp.
and on Mon morning I will stand in front of the office of the lady which takes on PhD theses.
I would have stood there today, if this lady would have long opening times on Thursdays
(like normal offices), but she has them on Tuesdays and on Fridays she has closed.
Anyway I wanna announce that I'll praty this weekend (oh, well I also did the last weekends,
although I was not yet near to having all ready and there --> pratying is optimal anti-stress therapy :D).

Odbe 07-31-2008 06:34 PM

Thanks guys :o I'm pretty bummed but you are the bestest. I'll let the rest of my life from now be cooler and nerdier. :)

^ Steph, that's awesome. Is it a whole heavy bunch of paper that still isn't as heavy as the work gone into it?
Enjoy your praty, I'm off to praty too, the third birthday this week :eek: why was everyone so keen on getting born this time of year?

lukkucairi 07-31-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odbe (Post 395046)
Thanks guys :o I'm pretty bummed but you are the bestest. I'll let the rest of my life from now be cooler and nerdier. :)

^ Steph, that's awesome. Is it a whole heavy bunch of paper that still isn't as heavy as the work gone into it?
Enjoy your praty, I'm off to praty too, the third birthday this week :eek: why was everyone so keen on getting born this time of year?

you're one of the coolest nerds I know, Odds :)

hm - July birthdays? maybe people were trying to stay warm in November?

Odbe 08-01-2008 03:16 AM

They must have had some other excuse in November; on this side of the equator it would have been spring. So maybe it was just the spring energy.

Oddly enough the next bunch-up of birthdays comes in November - I have four friends with November birthdays and then my own.

What about everyone else? Are your acquaintances' birthdays spread out evenly or do you have a pile-up in one month? Have you even thought about it before now?

brightpearl 08-01-2008 12:21 PM

I left early.

trisherina 08-01-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odbe (Post 395089)
They must have had some other excuse in November; on this side of the equator it would have been spring. So maybe it was just the spring energy.

Oddly enough the next bunch-up of birthdays comes in November - I have four friends with November birthdays and then my own.

What about everyone else? Are your acquaintances' birthdays spread out evenly or do you have a pile-up in one month? Have you even thought about it before now?

Birth seasonality is actually an enjoyable little research topic, which is to say that a fair bit of research goes on around it in various specialty areas.

Here's an NYT bit on it, and some areas popularly studied. (Read the preface, with its beautiful red on pale blue very fine font -- mmm.)

Odbe 08-01-2008 09:05 PM

^ Hey, I was on to something!

Very interesting, thanks for the links!