ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Marcus Bales 06-11-2007 09:15 AM

macropodine - an exercise tool for the Kegel muscle

During his quick, surreptitious side-trip from the bathroom back to the dining room of the elder Nolan sister's apartment, Detective Dinzdale's left eyebrow rose fractionally and he almost smiled as he closed the bedside drawer silently on the distinctive shape of the macropodine nestled between the warming gel and the padded restraints.

trisherina 06-11-2007 09:46 AM

macropodine: Descriptive term for a metatarsal digit with a tendency to curl upward.

Brynn 06-11-2007 08:48 PM

Macro-Podine - what school kids used to yell at Matthew Modine as a taunt.

Marcus Bales 06-12-2007 06:13 AM

Macropodine - an epoch in the Cenozoic Era, between the Eocene and the Paleocene, so-called because it's the longest era in which nothing happened in the entire Cenozoic. Hence, by extension, a period of time when nothing happens.

The players began to mutter darkly about a new Macropodine Epoch in The Dictionary Game.

Brynn 06-12-2007 10:57 PM

"rhubarb, rhubarb, peas and carrots..."
Do you remember the days when a round would turn over in a few hours?

brightpearl 06-13-2007 12:27 AM

Awright already. M'kay...last call...

Brynn 06-13-2007 09:16 PM

:)

brightpearl 06-14-2007 12:42 AM

I'm working on judging, peeps. It's a hard decision!

Tunesmith 06-14-2007 02:46 AM

Time for a last minute entry? Had a sudden urge to contribute...

macropodine:

(adj.)

1. having to do with shoe sizes so large that they aren't readily available at the average shoestore

(noun)

2. a situation in which one attempts to appear smaller than he or she is, but is unable to because of their size

Marvin's latest growth spurt had put him at a disadvantage when prom time came around, as he had not anticipated being three sizes to large for his suit. With his gangly arms and lanky legs, the resulting macropodine of he and Loretta, his date and game designing partner, trying to slow-dance would both go down in P.S. 218 history and earn them the nicknames of "Spindly and the Geek".

Marcus Bales 06-14-2007 08:03 AM

macropodine - a big surprise.

Impulsively researching "podine" preliminary to yet another entry in The Dictionary Game, he found his own Dictionary Game definition cited by Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=podin...&start=10&sa=N

which, he thought with some satisfaction, ought to put him solidly in the running for The Recursion Award.

Marcus Bales 06-14-2007 08:31 AM

macropodine - the loudest of the feline podine calls, usually heard in conjunction with a quick trot past the food and water toward the litter box.

Aida's macropodine was nearly in the yowl category: "Yeah, I have food and water, but for god's sake a little more attention in the cleanliness department would be appreciated!"

brightpearl 06-14-2007 10:04 AM

Marcus Bales offered:
an exercise tool for the Kegel muscle
During his quick, surreptitious side-trip from the bathroom back to the dining room of the elder Nolan sister's apartment, Detective Dinzdale's left eyebrow rose fractionally and he almost smiled as he closed the bedside drawer silently on the distinctive shape of the macropodine nestled between the warming gel and the padded restraints.

I'm sending Marcus an orange jumpsuit for his stint in the Texas pen. I read the rules carefully, and they clearly state that the local laws in the of the judge's residence apply. Around here, we have to call such things "educational models." (there's a nsfw link in the ice cream thread, for Molly Ivins fans)

Don't drop the soap, Marcus, and say hello to Tom DeLay for us.

For coffee and this high-tech submission:
Highest level member of the anti-iPod right wing activist group PODi. Other ranks include MIcropodine; lieutenants of the organization, POdine; common members, and NEwbi; new recruits. Seeking to eliminate iPods arguing that they are becoming so ubiquitious that CIA and other govermental spy agencies are using them to transfer intelligence past security borders by secreting classified stolen data in hidden files on the iPods, giving them away as travel incentives, and then steeling them from the unwitting data transfer agents/tourists once they arrive overseas. PODi is believed to be a splinter group of elDong, the anti-USB data storage device group.

...an 8-track cassette of George Jones' greatest hits.

Hfox gave us:
adj) being or resembling a large, hairy, non-verbal, reclusive North America hominoid.
Honestly Blanche, you've never had the highest standards in men, but your latest is simply macropodine!

I find the cryptozoological aspect really compelling. I'm giving you my own beloved Loch Ness Monster figurine. Zero tells me it's anatomically precise.

xfox's
death by stepping.
The ant colony suffered devastating macropodine unlike that of any time in recent memory when the herd of elephants roamed in with their big, round feet.

made me think of hobbits, which is one of my favorite pasttimes. I'm sending you some roach motels and a fire extinguisher in case you run out of hobbits.

Odbe, with
macropodnie
Deliberatley engineerred toward a specific goal.
She descided to word her reply carefully to aviod appearing macorpodine

wins a copy of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain, who also believed it's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. Although, I have to say that, given the state of the consumer product industry today, "engineerred" should probably be a real word. I'll write to Merriam-Webster on your behalf.

Brynn's wordplay entry:
what school kids used to yell at Matthew Modine as a taunt

gave me a happy. For you, an autographed headshot of Matthew circa Married to the Mob, and a copy of The Bully, the Bullied, and the Bystander, by Barbara Coloroso. And also this cookie because I like you so much.

For trisherina, who posited
Descriptive term for a metatarsal digit with a tendency to curl upward,

the most fantastic pair of heels ever designed, with sequined dragons and inlaid jewels and tiny fairy bells that jingle when she walks, to show off what I'm sure is an immaculate pedicure with no freaky turned up toes in sight.

Daverbee was an early frontrunner with
Having the physical characteristics of Max Baer, Jr. in his role as Jethro Bodine on The Beverly Hillbillies.
Hyakujo's Fox successfully made his macropodine transition when he shot himself in the foot while trying to hunt them big golden fish in the cement pond.

I can scarcely resist a Jethro reference, but Brynn's entry reminded me that you should lose points for bullying poor Hfox. I hope you enjoy your basket of vittles. There's not much opossum in it.

TIP got extra points for working in not only the other words from the beginning of this whole debacle, but also a fine nutritional message, with
an essential protein contained in breast milk allowing the child's feet to develop properly.
(Little jacob had been raised by squirrels and had thus lacked a steady intake of macropodine during his early childhood. As a result, he had developed micropodine-like feet. The upside to this was that he was very difficult to track in the forest, making it difficult for the jaculiferous wolves to find him.)

Such excellent word play and infant nutrition are near and dear to my heart, I have a thing for squirrels, and plus you totally got robbed in the Yranoitcid thread a couple of weeks ago. Obviously you're working with inside information, so the only reason you didn't win is that I don't want to be accused of nepotism. For you, a copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding published by the La Leche League, and this lovely facsimile of the educational model(s) Robert DeNiro wears in Meet the Parents. Have fun!

Tunes, I was going to disqualify you out of hand for the late entry until I read it.
(adj.)
1. having to do with shoe sizes so large that they aren't readily available at the average shoestore
(noun)
2. a situation in which one attempts to appear smaller than he or she is, but is unable to because of their size
Marvin's latest growth spurt had put him at a disadvantage when prom time came around, as he had not anticipated being three sizes to large for his suit. With his gangly arms and lanky legs, the resulting macropodine of he and Loretta, his date and game designing partner, trying to slow-dance would both go down in P.S. 218 history and earn them the nicknames of "Spindly and the Geek".

The combination of solid visual imagery with teen angst is irresistable, and plus you've provided me with a noun I can use to describe what the cat does, totally unsuccessfully and with quiet desperation, while we wait for the vet to come in for his yearly checkup. For you, a genuine Cuban cigar, rolled by some lovely and nubile senorita who dreamed only of you while crafting it with expert hands.

You can't have it until your 18th birthday. :D
And if I find out you watched the link in the ice cream thread, I'm telling your mother.

Take it away, Tunesmith!

P.S. The actual definition of macropodine is:

of or pertaining to kangaroos

daverbee 06-14-2007 04:08 PM

Pearlie:

I hope you enjoy your basket of vittles. There's not much opossum in it.

Whut the goldang heck is a o-possum?
Lessen you mean a "ole" possum. As in:

That ole possum been like that a while now. Don't move much and it's beginnin' tuh smell lilke Bobby Ray's longjohns...

Marcus Bales 06-14-2007 05:34 PM

Tunesmith has exceeded his or her PM box quota and cannot accept messages. The 12"Razormix Rule will apply if Tunes doesn't post another word pretty soon. To that end, Pearlie, please indicate who's the winner of the Coveted Second Place Award so that if Tunes doesn't get on the ball you can change those tears of joy to real tears by awarding First Place to whoever it is.

Tunesmith 06-14-2007 07:45 PM

Thanks, pearlie. :D

I'm...I'm so overcome with emotion that tears of gratitude are pouring down my cheeks.

Well, I'm not feeling too sentimental, so maybe it's from the cigar smoke. :rolleyes:

The next word is carnifex! Define, good gamers!