ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

zero 10-13-2007 05:45 PM

ok maybe not on your head, but i know for a fact that you do carry one

Frieda 10-13-2007 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 364874)
Being online is like being a pleasant or an angry tourist, either way eventually you have to go home.

i am home, i don't feel a tourist here.. or on any other bulletin board i frequent.. or when chatting to friends.. etc.. it's real life. we don't call it "real life", but it became real life, as soon as i made friends, discussed my daily stuff, etc.. and why shouldn't it be real life? :)

Odbe 10-13-2007 07:09 PM

I think I have an online persona, but it's not too different from my rl self, or at least I hope not. The biggest difference is that on a message board I can take a long time to type out my post, or even get to the end of a post, delete it and hit the back button. I end up saying more things I regret in real life. That said I still post things I regret.

Also, I don't think anyone can be exactly the same online or offline, because online you can't use body language and expressions. There are emoticons, but they have a very narrow range whereas actual expressions can be very subtle. Face-to-face you can get your message across, then read the other person's reaction and (even unconsciously) alter the way you express yourself until you think they are getting what you're saying. Online you have to do a lot of guesswork as you can't really tell the intended tone of a message, and indeed many flaming matches start because someone reads an angry tone into a calm message.

Anna 10-13-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 364895)
i am home, i don't feel a tourist here.. or on any other bulletin board i frequent.. or when chatting to friends.. etc.. it's real life. we don't call it "real life", but it became real life, as soon as i made friends, discussed my daily stuff, etc.. and why shouldn't it be real life? :)

Well technically real life is what ever is happening to you regardless of the place or platform. But I think the original term irl comes from that fact that there is no physical contact between the people communicating apart from electronic means; practical ideas or fantasy. When I click on my mouse, I am not able to touch your arm while expressing a point or when I type these words I am unable to look into your eyes and speak them. So the tactile audio/visual elements are missing. I'm not saying that strong connections and bonds can’t be formed on line, I recognize that some of the most beautiful and profound moments in historical relationships where through correspondence, but they are different from what society and psychology has regarded as traditional mind and body relationships. I can communicate with you instantly half way round the world in seconds and that's an amazing thing, but it is also limited to the realm of ideas, ebay and pay pal. Forming on line friends and community relationship is pioneering and a whole new science. I believe that for every technological advancement humanity makes something is also lost, but as a realist I also know there's little that can be done to stop change without effort.

brightpearl 10-13-2007 09:43 PM

It's possible that my online persona is a truer reflection of myself than my irl persona with people I don't know really, really well. I'm not sure. I guess both are incomplete.

Like Hfox, I post in good faith.

Stephi_B 10-14-2007 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig johnston (Post 364848)
is your online personality a true reflection of your real self?

Yes, I think so. Am not overly good at pretending (consciously or unconsciously), neither on- nor offline.

New question for Oct 14th 2007:

What do you think is your 1) best and 2) worst quality?

My answer:
1) forgive others relatively easy
2) stubbornness

trisherina 10-14-2007 12:12 PM

1) perserverance, always
2) when it becomes ruthlessness

xfox 10-14-2007 12:33 PM

friendly

overly friendly

T.I.P. 10-14-2007 12:57 PM

1) adaptability
2) instability

Tunesmith 10-14-2007 01:01 PM

1) curiosity
2) insecurity

Damn, I missed the coolest question of the day ? yet...

craig johnston 10-14-2007 01:32 PM

modesty

arrogance

brightpearl 10-14-2007 04:19 PM

tenacious/stubborn

really it's just the one quality in yin and yang forms
actually several people have responded similarly...

Frieda 10-14-2007 05:41 PM

a big heart
sloth

lukkucairi 10-14-2007 05:59 PM

1) kind
2) self-doubting

or maybe

1) driven
2) stubborn

or maybe

1) intelligent
2) hasty

don't these things come in natural dyads?

Anna 10-14-2007 06:19 PM

reasonable/apathtic