ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   gives you a happy (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=9399)

auntie aubrey 05-05-2007 07:19 PM

nope, just plopped a handful of rosemary sprigs in a jar of olive oil and let it sit for 2 weeks. then removed the twigs and *whiff* the olive oil smells rosemary-riffic. the benefit is that the olive oil itself will saponify into soap during the lye mixing process. the rosemary compounds drawn into the oil are unsaponifiable and remain within the soap to be delivered to your skin. i do teas for dried herbs, oil infusions for fresh herbs. i made a "chocolate and roses" batch where i made rosehip tea and used it for the lye solution, then when i was mixing it all together i separated out a third of the batch and mixed in a bit of cocoa powder. then drizzled the cocoa part of the batch over the rest and made swirls. the bars smell lightly of chocolate and roses. they haven't cured yet so i haven' ttried them. so i can't vouch for their quality yet. could be total crap.

Frieda 05-05-2007 07:32 PM

but the type of oil must change how much lye you have to use, right? and if you want a softer type of soap you add less lye? is that how it works?

i've got several medicinal plants growing here.. but the weather is so fvcked up that the camomile is already in bloom.. last year we had too much rain.. so i havent had any good fresh camomile for a while! the mint plant is doing great, i got it last year and this year i split the plant and now i keep one indoors for cooking & drinks.. i have to keep everything indoors because of the airplanes.

auntie aubrey 05-05-2007 07:39 PM

yup, you have to calculate the amount of lye you use based on a saponification table. each kind of oil takes a different amount of lye to fully react and turn completely into soap. math is not my strong suit, so this has been the only downside to the hobby.

i tried to make a chamomile based soap a couple of weeks ago. made a strong tea from dried chamomile and used it for the lye solution. then i decided to mix it with jasmine essential oil when i went to pour it into the mould. turns out the two scents didn't go well together. :(

eta: the softness of the soap has more to do with the type of oil you use and its properties. different soaps contain different types and quantities of fatty acids, which impart different qualities to the end product. using less lye just means there's more free-roaming fat left in the resulting bar when you're finished (which can be marvelous, if you calculate right and you want a moisturizing bar). but if you've used a fat that sets up hard, it will set up hard no matter what. palm kernel oil, for example, makes a hard bar. olive oil, on the other hand, makes softer bars. saturated fats = harder. unsaturated fats = softer.

Frieda 05-05-2007 07:43 PM

chamomile & honey

it smells & tastes great in tea! :)

auntie aubrey 05-05-2007 07:46 PM

i use wildflower honey in almost all of my soap recipes. sugar creates lather and it makes the bars smell sweet.

auntie aubrey 05-05-2007 07:46 PM

i have hijacked this thread. :(

zero 05-05-2007 07:46 PM

i know, let's all have a bath together!!

zero 05-05-2007 07:48 PM

sorry i didn't mean to say that out loud

auntie aubrey 05-05-2007 07:48 PM

FRESH!

Frieda 05-05-2007 07:48 PM

my god, this is great, i'm going to try this soap making thing.

so to start with i need caustic soda, olive oil, some stainless steel pan, a pan for the lye mix, a stove, a mold, a spoon, a kitchen thermometer and some book/website with tables and calculations?

Frieda 05-05-2007 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie aubrey (Post 342376)
i have hijacked this thread. :(

no you haven't because i'm getting great happys from it! :)

12"razormix 05-05-2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 342381)
... to start with i need caustic soda, olive oil, some stainless steel pan, a pan for the lye mix, a stove, a mold, a spoon, a kitchen thermometer and some book/website with tables and calculations

terrorist! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Frieda 05-05-2007 07:54 PM

:mad: i'm not making exploding soap! not this time dammit. the sink was enough.

Avalon 05-05-2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Friedamy god, this is great, i'm going to try this soap making thing.

so to start with i need caustic soda, olive oil, some stainless steel pan, a pan for the lye mix, a stove, a mold, a spoon, a kitchen thermometer and some book/website with tables and calculations?

You will love it :)

http://waltonfeed.com/old/soaphome.html

lostsadie 05-05-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 342377)
i know, let's all have a bath together!!

I'll bring the mosquito netting party hats and the tub

Frieda 05-05-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon (Post 342385)

cool, thanks! :) :)

auntie aubrey 05-05-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 342381)
some book/website with tables and calculations?

great site for instructions and recipes. always recalculate any recipes you find online. just verify that the person who posted it didn't have a transcription error.

my favorite lye calculator. you'll want a scale, too. measure your oils and lye by weight, not volume.

lastly, i use a stick blender because soap can take a long time to thicken, or "come to trace" when you stir by hand. just realize that if you stir by hand you might be doing so for up to an hour. also, anything you use that touches the soap making ingredients should never be used for food again. so whether you use a stick blender or a spoon, dedicate it to this task. don't ever mix a protein shake with a stick blender that was used for lye-based soap!

have fun! i find the process very relaxing and meditative. and if you're growing your own herbs, you're going to have a lot of fun coming up with creative combinations.

Frieda 05-05-2007 08:30 PM

thank you, i'm checking out that soap making website, it looks awesome.

i can just put the oils and essences i make of my plants into the soap.. instead of into jars and tiny little bottles with droppers! yay! :D

Anna 05-05-2007 09:19 PM

Odbe 05-05-2007 10:21 PM

:D :D :D me+painting=happy

Jack Flanders 05-07-2007 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 342436)

HAHA!!

Veruki 05-07-2007 11:21 AM

big big happy

brightpearl 05-07-2007 11:31 AM

^^Anna's post!! :D :D :D

"I am dancing with no shoe"
"Your movement is first class
and I feel it in your..soul"
And that guy's white belt.

Oooooooh, my sides.

l'azizza 05-07-2007 04:25 PM

watch this out take of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BoFTIQBBt4

Jack Flanders 05-07-2007 04:31 PM

OUCH!!!! :D

Anna 05-07-2007 06:04 PM

monsters love sushi was a lot of fun, really up beat. The guy who hesitates then ends up with a bucket on his head and the cheerleaders, so over the top! Imagine if they starts to spread in offices all over the western world. A real pick-me-up

Tony vs Paul was outstanding! that must have taken forever to do. What a great find Veruki!

Veruki 05-07-2007 06:20 PM

thanks Anna :)

Brynn 05-07-2007 08:00 PM

I want to work in that office.

My delight this morning:

The sun has returned, and it's finally spring in my pretty town. The air is so fragrant with flowers, and the senior high schoolers all over the city are about to graduate. It's a time of fevered anticipation for them, of waiting - waiting for all sorts of answers, like final grades and college acceptance letters. And, for the last two weeks or so, they've been looking for the beautiful, perfect frock, or tux rentals that the girlfriend approves of. You really can feel the excitement in the downtown shop windows, all awash with color and organza and ruffled shirts. There are hand-lettered signs on florist carts saying "Now taking corsage orders - mini-carns, orchids, roses, gardenias." Young suitors and their ingenues are choosing hairdressers and making dinner and limousine reservations - if they're lucky in love, well-financed, and organized.

But some are none of that, and have definitely left certain things for the last minute. In that situation, ingenuity is called for.

On my usual bus route this morning on the way to work, I glanced down into a hollow of shabby, low-rent apartments surrounded by dense foliage at the bottom of one of the embankments. I noticed a large, shared driveway - mostly because I saw something new that hadn't been there yesterday.
It was huge and unmistakable from at least two blocks away.

Oriented toward the door of the apartment of some young woman, in the middle of the night some industrious suitor had painted in enormous, fifteen-foot letters - for all the world to see
.................................................. .................PROM?
I just had to smile, and it made me happy picturing the reaction of the girl when she walked out the door - and also of her parents wigging out when they saw the driveway all painted up that way.

brightpearl 05-08-2007 12:11 AM

That's a fantastic story!! Ah, young love.

Now delete something your PM inbox so I can send you a reply!! :D

Jaime 05-08-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 343032)
monsters love sushi was a lot of fun, really up beat. The guy who hesitates then ends up with a bucket on his head and the cheerleaders, so over the top! Imagine if they starts to spread in offices all over the western world. A real pick-me-up

Tony vs Paul was outstanding! that must have taken forever to do. What a great find Veruki!

I loved both of these videos.

Brynn 05-08-2007 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brightpearl (Post 343097)
That's a fantastic story!! Ah, young love.

Now delete something your PM inbox so I can send you a reply!! :D

Oh is that what that stuffed mailbox was about? ahhh

Odbe 05-08-2007 04:59 AM

Listening to an old CD and finding that I had forgotten how much I love it.

brightpearl 05-08-2007 08:42 AM

Listening to a new CD and immediately feeling like it's one of the ones I had forgotten how much I love.

Tunesmith 05-08-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brynn (Post 343049)
But some are none of that, and have definitely left certain things for the last minute.

That would be me. :D

As I said to myself this morning, upon realizing that prom is just around the corner: "Oh. I need to get something to wear. That would probably be a tux, right?"

Great story, Brynn. That gave me a gigantic happy. :D

While I was sitting in beautiful (sometimes...) NYC today, eating lunch and casually skimming my novel-of-choice, I noticed something odd about the hundreds of people passing me.

Nearly all of them, except for the few taking advantage of their pockets and straps, were swinging their arms jauntily as they walked by. Everyone had their own tempo. In fact, people that looked the happiest were waving their limbs around wildly, attracting the attention of the passerbys.

Something else I noticed was that people walking in pairs or trios often swung their arms in rythym with each other. It was like some kind of non-verbal communication was going on! I began to think of sociological experiments that I could put into action! My findings would revolutionize social science! It would be entitled:

Group Syncronicity In the Swinging of Upper Limbs

Needless to say, this did not last long...But when I got up to leave the campus I was on, I was compltely self-conscious about what I was doing with my arms. I didn't want to overswing, but underswinging might be interpreted by (imaginary) close observers around me as symptoms of antisociality.

I was so preoccupied that I walked into a lovely woman from Greenpeace asking for my signature so she and her organization could fight globalwarming, save whales, etc. She was midsentence, so here's what I'm sure people around me heard:

"You may know us as those people who 'save the whales', but let me tell you, we are a VERY different - whhoooooAAAAAHH!" *multiple pens and a clipboard falling*

After I blushing helped her clean it up (and gave her my sig, too!) and apologized, I realized that I'd been thinking about arm-swinging for close to an hour.

And that gave me a foolish sort of happy :D

(Sorry this was so long, but I wanted to share it in a place where there wasn't a chance I would be laughed at!)

Veruki 05-08-2007 03:49 PM

people at work are looking at me funny, because I'm laughing by myself at Tunes' story, which is making me laugh even harder. :D

thanks for the happy! ;)

brightpearl 05-09-2007 10:31 AM

I put hot fudge sauce in my latte this morning. I don't regret it at all.

auntie aubrey 05-09-2007 09:08 PM

mst3k fans, have a happy on me.

Dorkahontas 05-09-2007 10:05 PM

I had a three-happy day (four if you count Auntie's fantabulous link above).

In the park across from my office, I saw a Great Dane walking himself. He was on his leash on like a good city doggy, but his person was sitting on a bench while moosedog ran around frolicking with the end of the leash in his mouth. And I swear the dog was SMILING.

My flying screaming monkeys from woot.com were delivered.

My vacation photos arrived. My most absolute favorite is the very last photo we took. We saw Ron Jeremy at the airport, and my husband took a photo of me and Ron. It makes me laugh every time I look at it. Frameworthy for sure. I may even have it made into Christmas cards at the end of the year.

Jack Flanders 05-10-2007 12:56 AM

(Emm who's Ron Jeremy?) :o

Frieda 05-10-2007 05:09 AM

ron jeremy @ wikipedia