ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Marcus Bales 05-17-2006 09:30 AM

quincunx -- the name of the bar that the fifth century Latin detective play writer Garrulous Keillorum's character Gaius Noirus hangs out in. From the smart-mouth bartender, Jimmae, to the dark mood of the tangled tales, to the women in trouble whose togas fit so tight you can read the henna body art through them, to the dangerous searches through Roman society, high and low, for culprits, Keillorum anticipated Poe and the modern detective writers in almost every detail.

I decided to go down to the Quincunx for a drink.
"Hi, Mr Noirus, what'll it be?"
"Hi Jimmae, gimme a white brandy with a quinoa in it"

LeahDear 05-17-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverbee
^^^
:D I cannot possibly hope to top that so I'm gonna pass on this one and wait to see what nugget of information Dinz will come up with... :D

:D Had alot of fun thinking that one up! Was giggling so hard my boss came over to see what I was up to...

12"razormix 05-19-2006 08:52 AM

quincunx, n.

the fifth book in a pentalogy

Coffee 05-19-2006 01:23 PM

quincunx, kwin-Cun-inks n.

The best solution to a problem, the cleverest idea, quintessential cunningness.

Coffee was certain he had thought of the quincunx with his latest dictionary thread entry:

"quincunx, kwin-Cun-inks n.

The best solution to a problem, the cleverest idea, quintessential cunningness.

dddrum 05-19-2006 04:06 PM

quincunx - an aromatic pastiche, redolent of jasmine, lavender, honey and musk, calling to mind the wildest, steepest, most wind-spumed crests of passion on the tempestuous sea of one's misspent youth. This intoxicating miasma... somehow released in one heady, irrepressable blast, upon the casual and innocent opening of the clutch purse that had been left upon the credenza after the previous evening's soiree. The very same purse that, it turns out, belongs to Aunt Selma. The self-same Aunt Selma who, of course, is Mother's identical twin. Dust off the couch, Sigmund. I keep telling myself: it's just the scent of eaux de toilette, Carmex, a few loose sticks of Beeman's... and the letters, of course. Goddamn those letters. I can't help it. Every time I read one, I have to take a long, deep sniff. If this were a Chandler novel, that would make a great title. The Long, Deep Sniff. But it's not. It is, rather, the (rather Holmesian) quincunx' curse, and I am certainly its demon seed. Better sweep under that couch too, Siggy old chum; I'll likely be curled up there for a while. (Ahh, this one contains a poem. :o Sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiff..)

funkytuba 05-21-2006 03:18 AM

Judging Monday! Monday! Monday!

xfox 05-21-2006 12:29 PM

quincunx a nest that holds no more than five non specific eggs and where the last one out (to hatch) becomes the rotten one, coining a popular, modern phrase.

Bennie was very glad he wasn't the rotten egg in the quincunx.

Hyakujo's Fox 05-21-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverbee
^^^
:D I cannot possibly hope to top that so I'm gonna pass on this one and wait to see what nugget of information Dinz will come up with... :D

quincunx (n) a rumoured to be impossible sexual position involving one male and five unshy female companions.

It was only the persistant ringing of the alarm clock on the bedside table that finally defeated dinzdale's dream of achieving quincunx with the Nolans.

daverbee 05-21-2006 10:11 PM

^^^

:D :D :D

Marcus Bales 05-23-2006 03:58 PM

quincunx -- an empty promise.

Judging Monday!

Zatoichi 05-23-2006 04:08 PM

quincunx -- a person whose arrival always signals the onset of fun, from "Quincunxappapip", the model for Quinn the Eskimo in Bob Dylan's "Mighty Quinn".

When Quinn the Eskimo gets here, everybody's gonna jump for joy!

dinzdale 05-23-2006 07:53 PM

quincunx n.

The perfomance of mutual masturbation by two lesbians, both of whom are fluent in sign language.

:eek:

Jack Flanders 05-23-2006 07:54 PM

^^^ wouldn't that be four girls?

dinzdale 05-23-2006 08:03 PM

No, it's more complex than that. Look...

x

It's like a duet for two harps played vigorosso, until they both go off.

Some people say there are subliminal messages for the deaf involved, but I'm not sure.

Jack Flanders 05-23-2006 08:06 PM

I'm afraid to look.... well, ok.