ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

trisherina 08-23-2005 02:31 PM

This is going to be tough, I see. Judging tonight or tomorrow night, depending.

Brynn 08-23-2005 03:14 PM

weasand (n) - term used at the turn of the twentieth century for the actual crook of the giant hook used to drag off untalented vaudeville performers.

In spite of the boos emanating from the drunken crowd as he pulled up his oversize knickers, Russell "The Bricklaying Clown" was caught quite by surprise by the weasand of the hook that viciously snagged his adam's apple.

Marcus Bales 08-24-2005 08:47 AM

weasand - a rank or class in English society, between a yeoman, or freeholder of farmng land, and a wapentake, or tenant of the commons.

xfox 08-24-2005 12:59 PM

weasand - those inspirational talks given by Zig Ziglar and others, widely advertised to businesses on flyers and that charge upwards of $149.99 for tickets that promise to keep you breathing for another week.

Donna was going to attend the upcoming weasand, however, cancelled at the last minute in favor of a brisk walk with a weezer group whose regularly scheduled treks she enjoyed.

trisherina 08-25-2005 03:02 AM

A weasand is a gullet. Okay, enough already. Let's start with the losers, I mean the non-winners.

Marcus Bales wins the "Know Thy Adversary" award with his efforts:

1. a rank or class in English society, between a yeoman, or freeholder of farmng land, and a wapentake, or tenant of the commons.

2. Middle English for thick down comforter, or something.

This dronke Millere spak ful soone ageyn
And seyde, "Leve brother Osewold,
Who hath no wyf, he is no cokewold.
But I sey nat therfore that thou art oon;
Ther been ful goode wyves many oon,
And evere a thousand goode ayeyns oon badde.
That knowestow wel thyself, but if thou madde,
Who hath goode weasand given her housbonde
That hee with her wud staye, and chayse na blonde.

I'm afraid you're trailing the pack because classism bugs me, not to mention the terrible aspersions cast on those of diminished pigment.

dddrum also weighs in with two definitions, the second even cute:

1. genetic hybrid resulting from the crossing of a weasel and a liger.
2. typographical symbol indicating subtraction. The opposite of an ampersand.

I think we need the latter type of weasand. Until then, we have the minus sign. (-)

xfox, as always, xrox, with a definition straight out of pseudomature reality: those inspirational talks given by Zig Ziglar and others, widely advertised to businesses on flyers and that charge upwards of $149.99 for tickets that promise to keep you breathing for another week.

Unfortunately, I had a Tony Robbins flashback and wasn't able to really appreciate this definition as well as I should have.

ch_burchill had: fake, fraud, deceitful pretense. Since I once had a cat named Weasel, I know exactly where charlie's coming from. She's dead now, and good riddance. I wasn't about to revive her for the purposes of this game.

Brynn wins the Coveted Second Place Award for:

term used at the turn of the twentieth century for the actual crook of the giant hook used to drag off untalented vaudeville performers.

The award is presented for sheer aptness and also wins the "Wish It Were True" award.

However, I'm afraid that funkytuba had me at hello:

binary operator used by middle management to justify unnecessary or to deny needed equipment

[extreme need for new server] weasand [fully justified business case] == [refusal to sign purchase order]
[new version of doom] weasand [VP of IT has 500mb of ram] == [new laptop for VP of Marketing]

Sometimes, with a definition, you just know. Take it away, funkytuba!

funkytuba 08-25-2005 03:58 AM

Practicing a little "Know Thy Judge" helps a bit... Pseudotechie has worked in the past :rolleyes:

next word:

vagitus

ch_burchill 08-25-2005 06:37 AM

vagitus, n. (from vagile, adj. - having freedom to move about)

is the term used to describe the state of vertebrate animals during the metamorphosis from life as a limbless creature with gills in water to life as a four-legged, air-breathing creature on land.

daverbee 08-25-2005 11:52 AM

VAGITUS

A state achieved by a small number of couch potatoes in which their brains react to everything in the universe exactly two seconds after their senses do. Most often seen among those who watch each and every second of each and every episode of American Idol.

eg.:
Upon seeing Bo Bice was on the early morning show in his city promoting a concert that night, Bob entered a textbook state of Vagitus.

Edditted for spellling...

12"razormix 08-25-2005 01:03 PM

vagitus

a marmite byproduct

marmite is made by adding salt to the waste-product produced by yeast in the brewing process, thus rupturing the yeast cells by osmotic pressure, then concentrating the resulting sludge into marmite - the remaining residue (vagitus) is then sold to pharmaceutical and cosmetic companies.

Marcus Bales 08-25-2005 03:24 PM

vagitus - inflammation of a vag; a vag is a sort of atoll or tidal basin in the Isles of Langerhans.

dinzdale 08-25-2005 03:33 PM

vagitus

Correct medical term for the wet spot.

"As Lord Hornsby relaxed into post-coital bliss, he realised that Lavina had manoevred herself clear of the vagitus, which was currently knotting the hair on his right thigh." - Lady Chatterly's Mother (1905)

Brynn 08-25-2005 08:39 PM

^LOL! I can't post mine now with much enthusiasm after that one, but here goes -
vagitus (n) : mass exit of a large group of women; a feminine exodus.

No longer able to constrain himself, Leslie took that particular moment to suddenly reveal his true masculine splendor, causing quite the vagitus at the strap-on party.

dddrum 08-26-2005 03:45 AM

vagitus n., pl. - genetic hybrids resulting from crossing ligers with pussies and gnus (oh, my!)

:eek:
--DDD

trisherina 08-26-2005 03:44 PM

vagitus: screenwriting term directing the actor to perform almost imperceptible pelvic movements.

Kathleen Turner perfected the elusive and mesmerizing art of vagitus while in her early thirties.

xfox 08-27-2005 01:51 AM

vagitus a form of agita but only suffered by women and a little lower in the anatomy.