ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

dddrum 02-20-2006 09:20 PM

*ding ding ding*

FRIES ARE UP!!!

Marcus Bales 02-21-2006 09:55 AM

It looks like we may have to institute

The 12"Razormix Rule: no one who refuses to give out an email or a PM address can win the game, since they can't be notified that they've won.

daverbee 02-21-2006 10:32 AM

I am at a complete loss as to who actually won and am also looking forward to finding out the real definition. I could look it up but that's too much work...

ETA, I looked it up. This really clears things up...

ba·hu·vri·hi
A compound word functioning as an adjective whose last element is in origin a noun. For example, in the phrase high-fiber diet, the compound high-fiber is a bahuvrihi modifying diet that ends in the noun fiber.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Sanskrit bahuvrhi, having much rice (an example of the type) : bahu-, much + vrhi, rice.]

I love the fact they worked "high-fiber diet" into the first definition when "having much rice" was the original definition. Hoping, of course, that they had whole grain rice in the second definition...

dddrum 02-21-2006 02:24 PM

A big thank you to daverbee, for posting the actual definition, which I had had all ready to go, courtesy of the fine lexicodgers at The Phrontisery, but lost it in one of my brain wrinkles. (I think one of my D's must certainly stand for "D'oh!")

Yeah, the definition had me scratching my head, too. Do we really NEED a word for such a word? Then again, without such idiomatic eccentricities, there would be no Dictionary Game. So, huzzah, then. HUZZAH, I TELLS YA!

Yrs,
DDD

[P.S.: Now (singing) where / in the world / is / Footlong Razormix-o??]

dinzdale 02-21-2006 07:47 PM

great thinking triple D. Just great....

dinzdale 02-22-2006 02:01 PM

*tap tap tap...................*

Marcus Bales 02-22-2006 02:08 PM

Okay, then, the 12"Razormix Rule goes into effect: those of you who win the Dictionary Game, before you assign the top spot to anyone, check to see if they accept PMs or email -- if not, then that disqualifies them from being the word-picker. You can still say they won, but in the absence of a way to notify them, the 2nd place person gets the nod. Now, in this case, we have two 2nd place people, so I guess the Official Dictionary Game Top-Secret Executive Committee will have to go into closed session and pick a winner after rancorous debate.

Ok, it's Zatoichi, because of the word "pleasing".

Take it away!

Zatoichi 02-22-2006 05:14 PM

Erm, eh, uh...is this legit? Can I just swipe the ol' first place claret bottle on Marcus' say-so? Say! So, why is the claret bottle empty, eh Marcus?

Your word is

Siasconsett

Do with it as you will, but be gentle. It's its first time in the Dictionary Game.

daverbee 02-22-2006 06:34 PM

Siasconsett

Site of the 1688 Witch Hunt that spilled over from the Salem Witch Trials, Siasconsett, Massachussetts went about their witch hunt a little differently.
The witches and warlocks, in an attempt to even the playing field, were allowed to hide in caves underground and the good people of Siasconsett hunted them with shotguns, tiptoeing along and whispering to each other, "Shhhhh! Be vewy, vewy quiet! I'm huntin' wabbits!...er...witches! Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh!"
Shortly afterwards, the Puritans decreed that all the inhabitants of Siasconsett were dangerously insane and they were sent to colonize Los Angeles.

Marcus Bales 02-23-2006 12:56 PM

siasconsett -- a drawing technique consisting of small overlapping x patterns, also known as cross-hatching.

Zatoichi 02-23-2006 04:14 PM

Well done everyone. Time's up. I disqualify myself for having used a proper noun, Siasconsett is in fact a place name in Massachusetts and is not pronounced as it is spelled. I didn't have a word handy, wasn't going to be around a 'puter for another day or so, had stinkin' Marcus breathing down my neck about an award I hadn't even won, so I ...uh...paniced. Panicked. Panikked. Freaked.

Daverbee is also disqualified for referring a place in Massachusetts with the actual name of Siasconsett.

This means that the winner and new wordling possessor -- with a stunning entry decked out in a herringbone checkered pattern -- is Marcus Bales!

Marcus Bales 02-23-2006 04:34 PM

The new word is ranine.

Master_Jedi 02-23-2006 11:44 PM

ranine- v.- creating rain (waterdroplets) in the shape of nines, for the sole purpose of having a pointless definition, n.- the act of being the only person playing the dictionary game who actually wants to win

trisherina 02-24-2006 01:41 AM

ranine: The loop that pends from a fur muff, allowing the wearer to dangle it from the wrist when not in use.

Hyakujo's Fox 02-24-2006 09:25 AM

ranine an adjective applied to objects, processes or concepts in possession of a rather subtle quality of facilitating or engendering in observors, in combination or in sequence, feelings of weariness, impatience and irritation that would typically be perceived by such an observor as being just slightly above, or alternatively, precisely matching the threshhold of noticeable weariness, impatience or irritability, by virtue of tedious complexity or excessive longwindedness that is unjustified by the significance or profundity of the object, process or concept.