ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

brightpearl 12-09-2007 08:05 AM

oh oh oh
I remembered the first CD. It was the White Album. I had my parents' old vinyl recording, and I listened to that through the cassette tape era, but by the time I got a cd player, the turntable wasn't working anymore. I loved the White Album even when I was little, like 7 or so, and I had been missing it. I had some cd's that my parents bought me to go with the player, but that was the first one I saved and spent my own money on.

Stephi_B 12-09-2007 08:23 AM

Ah, the White Album, my mother had it on cassette in her car - I cassette-napped it at some point... but she took it back after some weeks :( Bought it on CD only like 3 years ago.

T.I.P. 12-09-2007 09:13 AM

First vinyl record: Michael Jackson's Thriller album

it was during my breakdancing phase :)

trisherina 12-09-2007 12:47 PM

Vinyl: Phil Collins' Face Value (ha HFox!)

But I actually bought cassettes well before that, to play on an old Radio Shack tape recorder in my room: A Wild and Crazy Guy, and Let's Get Small.

CD: Yes 90125.

auntie aubrey 12-09-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox (Post 370879)
LP: 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

YAY!:D

auntie aubrey 12-09-2007 01:46 PM

vinyl: the first one i bought myself was toto's "pamela" 45" single. i don't even remember how it goes. hang on.... you tube..... holy god.

cassette: this is a toughie and i'm not sure i remember. my dad was into buying used records well after cassettes became the predominant format. he would buy the album, dub it off to tape, then sell the album back. as a result the first cassette i ever actually bought myself where this didn't take place was prossibly george michael's "faith" album.

i do, however, remember my first cassingle purchase. elvis costello's "veronica" and the cher/peter cetera duet "after all" from the movie "chances are."

CD: arrested development's "3 Years 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life of"

Tunesmith 12-09-2007 02:14 PM

When I was growing up, the only time I saw a vinyl was at my grandparents' house. I missed the whole cassette era, too.

So, the first cd I bought for myself was Weezer's Blue Album. I was going to buy the Green Album, which had just come out a couple weeks before, but my mother swooped down to scope it out, saw the words "Hash Pipe" in big white letters, and switched it for the blue one.

lukkucairi 12-09-2007 07:41 PM

hm!

vinyl: Olivia Newton John - "Physical"
cassette: Eurythmics - "Touch"
CD: ok, it came included with the stereo but the first one I owned was...ZAMFIR, MASTER OF THE PAN FLUTE.

First one I bought was probably something by The Cure.

topcat 12-10-2007 01:00 AM

nobody mentioned 8 track

Frieda 12-10-2007 05:12 AM

^ before my time

did you have 8 track tapes?

brightpearl 12-10-2007 08:14 AM

Is that the question of the day?

No, never did have 8 track. I'm only aware of them from having seen them at thrift stores. From my painstaking scientific research in that area, I can report that the only artists ever made available on 8 track were Tom Jones and Eddie Rabbit.

Stephi_B 12-10-2007 08:31 AM

Nope, and although I knew the name, I had to google a picture...

Frieda 12-10-2007 11:54 AM

^ me too, had to google a picture.

funny how these questions of the day seem to happen ;) :D

Stephi_B 12-10-2007 12:04 PM

First ? after midnight et la voila :D
(Actually these spontaneous q-o-day's are often better than the ones somebody made knots in his/her brain for)

brightpearl 12-10-2007 12:14 PM

^that's so true...
I forgot to include Steve Miller in the comprehensive list of artists ever released on 8 track.
*trots off to 80's thread...*