ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Yranoitcid Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=11337)

Coffee 04-14-2007 03:42 PM

The Yranoitcid Game

Yes, it is "Reversed Dictionary" game.

In this thread the judge provides a "definition" and the contestants provide an imaginary word that, in their opinion, best fits the "definition"...and use that word in a sentence to illustrate the concept.

The first Def. is:

That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day.

Avalon 04-14-2007 04:22 PM

All I can say is that at my house, I get called OCD..erm..I mean IT gets called OCD. :rolleyes:

ETA Not actually playing the game..just making a confession of sorts. :o

funkytuba 04-14-2007 09:22 PM

oubliorumpia n. That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day

"Confound it!", said Lecherous Old Fogey Dinzdale at lunchtime, "Those bloody dentures have got to be somewhere." When he sat down to think and heard the snap in his back pocket, he felt a double dose of oubliorumpia.

Marcus Bales 04-15-2007 01:33 AM

Dorkabilly - That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day.

Coffee 04-15-2007 01:52 PM

Please also use your words in a sentence. Or frankly this game won't be as fun to read or judge.

lostsadie 04-15-2007 09:44 PM

Deja rue~That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day

Father Williams, as he left his house early Sunday morning couldn't shake the deja rue feeling hovering about him. He checked his coat pocket for the third time finding yet again his keys just where they should be, he firmly adjusted his leather bound bible beneath his arm, checked his hair to be sure it was combed in the glass on his door, adjusted his wire rimmed glasses, and shrugged. Everything seemed to be in order. he walked the short block to the church and opened the door with his key.

Behind him Eugene stared at him through her kitchen window, mouth hanging open...the old priest had left his house without his pants on and he was wearing black satin under shorts with kiss marks on them...

Jack Flanders 04-15-2007 11:41 PM

HAHAHA!!:D

trisherina 04-16-2007 12:44 AM

hippolepsy That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day.

The sun was shining and Candace hummed along to U2 as she downshifted for the exit, nearly T-boning a Lego-blue Versa when sudden hippolepsy made her recall that she'd stabbed the probe for the slow cooker into the vegetables rather than the meat.

daverbee 04-16-2007 12:04 PM

Senilophobia

That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day.

Having reached work and noting to himself that he had, indeed, turned off the iron, the stove, and the blow dryer, Claude was suddenly stricken with senilophobia when he realized he couldn't remember whether he had let the cat, suffering from a severe case of diarrhea, out of the house.

Brynn 04-17-2007 09:24 PM

disastronomy

As she was leaving, Blanche got a call from an inside source telling her that the private grant to fund her disastronomy experiments might very well come through, but she became her own first test subject as she backed her car out of the driveway.

Coffee 04-18-2007 07:51 AM

Judging of the first round of the The Yranoitcid Game will be on Saturday...only cuz i'm working 12 hour days and can't find the time during the week to do a "proper" judging.

Coffee 04-21-2007 02:47 PM

And it is time for the first judging of the The Yranoitcid Game.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcus Bales is disqualified for not including a sentance (...and frankly, without pulling any punches...the word sucked too :( ) with his entry:
Dorkabilly - That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day.

Brynn gets an hororable mention for the slight "astronomy" reference ( a hobby of the judge's) with:
disastronomy

As she was leaving, Blanche got a call from an inside source telling her that the private grant to fund her disastronomy experiments might very well come through, but she became her own first test subject as she backed her car out of the driveway.

Daverbee also recieves hororable mention for his "almost there and not looking forward to" entry:
Senilophobia

Having reached work and noting to himself that he had, indeed, turned off the iron, the stove, and the blow dryer, Claude was suddenly stricken with senilophobia when he realized he couldn't remember whether he had let the cat, suffering from a severe case of diarrhea, out of the house.

Trisherina also recieves an honorable mention for the lovely dyslexicesque situation described in her entry:
hippolepsy

The sun was shining and Candace hummed along to U2 as she downshifted for the exit, nearly T-boning a Lego-blue Versa when sudden hippolepsy made her recall that she'd stabbed the probe for the slow cooker into the vegetables rather than the meat.

Lostsadie is our runner up with a very funny scenario offered with a terrific word:
Deja rue~
That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day

Father Williams, as he left his house early Sunday morning couldn't shake the deja rue feeling hovering about him. He checked his coat pocket for the third time finding yet again his keys just where they should be, he firmly adjusted his leather bound bible beneath his arm, checked his hair to be sure it was combed in the glass on his door, adjusted his wire rimmed glasses, and shrugged. Everything seemed to be in order. he walked the short block to the church and opened the door with his key.

Behind him Eugene stared at him through her kitchen window, mouth hanging open...the old priest had left his house without his pants on and he was wearing black satin under shorts with kiss marks on them...

Funytuba takes the blue ribbon of Word Crafting and gets bonus points for biting our favorite arse in the arse and becomes the first winner of the Yranoitcid Game with:

oubliorumpia n. That sense of uncertain dread that you may have left the house and forgotten some important detail or item...something that you are certain will end up biting you in the arse later in the day

"Confound it!", said Lecherous Old Fogey Dinzdale at lunchtime, "Those bloody dentures have got to be somewhere." When he sat down to think and heard the snap in his back pocket, he felt a double dose of oubliorumpia.

Take it away Funkster!!!

funkytuba 04-23-2007 01:59 PM

Woot! Ok, Here it comes:

n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life
(or) V. To invest an object with such a sentiment

As Coffee required in the last game, please use your word in a sentence

daverbee 04-23-2007 02:24 PM

Nostalgiowhatsit

n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life

While packing for the move from home to my first year of college, I was humbled by the Nostalgiowhatsit I found between the mattress and box springs of my bed.

T.I.P. 04-23-2007 03:08 PM

Funkyprouster

As he was clearing his shelves, a picture of Anna, his first kiss, fluttered to the ground. Remembering the mixture of lust and vivid pain he had felt while cutting his mouth on her braces made him realize that he had just stumbled upon something special - a genuine funkyprouster.

Marcus Bales 04-23-2007 03:15 PM

temperdu - n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life
(or) V. To invest an object with such a sentiment.

"Stella!" snarled an impatient Stanley Dinzdale, "put down that goddamned temperdu and keep packing!"

dinzdale 04-23-2007 06:33 PM

donquixcoq n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life

"Stella!" said Professor Dinzdale, "just put that thing down and keep packing. It's not like it's a flippin' donquixcoq woman."

trisherina 04-24-2007 01:06 AM

saprophyte: n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life

Were it up to Diane, Von brooded, every single saphrophyte would have gone to the curb, from his bronzed baby shoes to his kata trophy.

brightpearl 04-24-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinzdale (Post 340270)
donquixcoq

Hmmm...juvenile, yet highly literate. Well played, dinzdale. BTW, every time I see your username, I think of Dinsdale Piranha.

daverbee 04-24-2007 09:44 AM

He is Dinzdale Piranha.
Just consider yourself lucky he doesn't unleash The Other Other Plan on you.

dinzdale 04-24-2007 12:03 PM

I am in TX as well Brightperson. So make sure you wash your hands....:)

Coffee 04-25-2007 09:50 PM

Reminescat : n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life

While rummaging through his untidy photo collection prior to moving onto a sailboat, Coffee was both saddened and gleeful to discover a folder containing several reminescat of a tragic former relationship...saddened by the memories they aroused, yet gleeful to rip them to shreds and add the several hand fulls of tiny pieces to his ever growing pile of trash.

Marcus Bales 04-27-2007 10:37 AM

kedging: n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life

Coffee was surprised to find an old kedging on the Zefrank board when he rediscovered the Dictionary Game thread -- especially when he realized that people were still waiting for him to judge his word.

funkytuba 04-28-2007 07:54 AM

I won't be able to judge until next week... I'm completely buried at work, to the exclusion of having a life.

some great entries... keep them coming if you want... this time I won't penalize for multiples.

Brynn 05-01-2007 02:19 AM

emotimeme: n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life

There were far too many emotimemes in any given box to allow for any progress whatsoever in unpacking. So reluctant was he to continue with any sense of purpose at all, that he even began to emotimemize the box of paperclips and a stapler stolen from his last job.

ETA: Admit it, it's fun to say out loud several times.

Coffee 05-01-2007 07:25 AM

Out loud, out loud, out loud...nope...didn't do anything for me. ...

Marcus Bales 05-01-2007 09:09 AM

vuje da: n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life

Packing to move was a slow process, since all too often she found a vuje da, an item that gave her deja vu.

Numinous Molva 05-06-2007 03:23 AM

farfel n. Any object which, upon finding it while moving, evokes an emotion from an earlier period in one's life.
(or) v. To invest an object with such a sentiment.

My mother is such a packrat - she even farfels old bus tickets, and refuses to throw them away.

Several possible etymologies have been suggested. The perhaps most plausible is a derivation of the German Vergangenheitsgefühl (much used in the literature of the Romantic period, 1798-1832), while folk-etymological references to words such as far-feel, farewell or even far-fetched appear more spurious. The once-popular FarfAlbums (first launched in 1936 and in nationwide use by the 50's) were also once believed to be the origin of the term, but newer research has concluded that farfel (or variants such as furfel, firful or farful) have in fact been in occasional use since the late 19th century - and in reference to other types of objects besides photographs and news-clippings.

Marcus Bales 05-06-2007 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkytuba (Post 340718)
... this time I won't penalize for multiples.

Oh no! Is there no firmament we can count on, no unchanging certainty, no steady-state guarantee? Is everything subject to unexpected change? Is it all Herakleideian flux? Woe! Woe!

lostsadie 05-06-2007 11:08 AM

Marcus is gonna win

HA HA

funkytuba 05-15-2007 03:02 AM

Numinous Molva: farfel -- delightful entry...looking forward to future contributions
Marcus Bales: vuje da -- *sigh*
Brynn: emotimeme -- fun to say, but I can never remember wether its mehm or meeem
Marcus Bales: kedging -- *sigh*
Coffee: Reminescat -- very nice... might have won had you not been the previous judge
dinzdale: donquixcoq -- *sigh*
Marcus Bales: temperdu -- nice play on the french... coveted second place
T.I.P.: Funkyprouster -- deliberately using an element of the judge's name in the word in an attempt to succor favor does not
daverbee: Nostalgiowhatsit -- glib? you're soaking in it.

trisherina: saprophyte ***wins for making me google "kata", I found this very apropos picture:
http://inlinethumb20.webshots.com/14...425x425Q85.jpg

trisherina 05-15-2007 09:50 AM

Hmmph. The definition:

The sense of impatience common to the days just prior to a long-awaited vacation.

T.I.P. 05-15-2007 10:52 AM

palpitexcarceration

The sense of impatience common to the days just prior to a long-awaited vacation.

Gum chewing, nail biting and mouse fidgeting were all clear symptoms of
steadily rising palpitexcarceration as the departure date approached.

brightpearl 05-15-2007 11:07 AM

^I know my opinion doesn't matter in a practical sense, but that is effing brilliant.

daverbee 05-15-2007 01:36 PM

Antsypreporasiveness -

Finding nothing of a chemical nature to cure his antsypreporasiveness before his through hike of the Pacific Coast Trail, Norm resorted to obsessively loading and unloading his backpack, discarding items and then including them again before discarding and including them yet again.

Master_Jedi 05-15-2007 08:36 PM

Vanimpciation-The sense of impatience common to the days just prior to a long-awaited vacation.

Coffee 05-15-2007 10:59 PM

Farkital n.

Jonathan had a severe case of farkital about a half week before his Australian vacation, and was constantly perusing glossy travel brochures and surfing the web for Great Barrier Reef and Outback photos while at work.

trisherina 05-22-2007 12:05 PM

I'll bump this to see if anyone else wants to add an entry before I award the dubious glory.

Marcus Bales 05-22-2007 03:58 PM

gonalready- The sense of impatience common to the days just prior to a long-awaited vacation.

I tried to get her to focus on the project, but her vacation starts Friday and she had a bad case of gonalready.

trisherina 05-23-2007 01:01 AM

I brought you all back a little something from vacation.

T.I.P, with palpitexcarceration, gets a round of soft mozzarella and some thin sliced prosciutto.

Coffee, for farkital, a sugar cube.

Master_Jedi, for vanimpciation, a mini cupcake with pink icing and pinker sugar sprinkles.

daverbee, Antsypreporasiveness made me wistful enough to give you both my Empress tea and several of my salmon-cream cheese roll slices.

But Marcus Bales summed it up best with the late entry of gonalready, good for some buttery bisque and the next round.