ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Brynn 01-23-2011 10:19 PM

umquhile - a person who silently but obsessively counts the number of times a teenager utters "um" in a sentence during a conversation (see also: umquphile - one whose utterances of "um" outnumber any other words in a sentence).

trisherina 01-24-2011 01:44 AM

Hfox, pretty please judge the game for me and carry on; still can't type much.

Madmack 01-25-2011 01:23 AM

umquhile: a lab synthesized crystalline alkaloid possessing anti-inflammatory, antimalarial and analgesic properties.
Preceding Billy's research trip to the Mosquito Coast, he was on a strict four week umquhile regimen. Sadly he discovered that 5 Gin and Tonic's a day had the same anti-malarial properties.. at a fraction of the cost.

Hyakujo's Fox 01-25-2011 07:05 PM

righto some kind of judging is on its way

ish.

lukkucairi 01-26-2011 03:34 PM

umquhile: n. A person who has abruptly stopped having disturbing dreams, after a years-long stretch of nightly adventures.

Marcus Bales 01-27-2011 10:49 AM

umquhile - a honey and yoghurt mixture, usually used for breakfast, but occasionally for dessert.

Her jaw hurt so badly she couldn't chew, and had to subsist on a diet of umquhile.

Hyakujo's Fox 01-28-2011 08:47 AM

okay i'm sure Trish would have told me to keep it brief if I had bothered to ask her, so thank you to everyone who participate please feel free to award yourself a certificate, ribbon or a book on behalf of the judge, as you see fit.

The runnering up went to razormix, despite the fact she and the judge have very different ideas about what constitutes elaborate toilet facilities.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12"razormix (Post 426829)

umquhile
, n.

elaborate toilet facilities of the tuareg. a wok and two truck tires are involved.

but the winner is none other than lukkucairi for the promise of a cool change encapsulated in
Quote:

Originally Posted by lukkucairi (Post 426845)
Umquhile: A Yup'ik ceremonial dance intended to bring a blizzard down upon one's enemies. Used against the Russians in 1790, 1807, and again in 1823.

And apparently
Quote:

Umquhile is an adverb meaning formerly, previously; or, former, late as in: "The Lady of the umquhile Walter de Avenel was in very weak health in the Tower of Glendearg". (From "The Fair Maid of Perth" written in 1828 by Sir Walter Scott).
so there you go.

lukkucairi 01-28-2011 03:20 PM

alrighty then, the new word is

gambroon

lukkucairi 02-01-2011 10:20 PM

*ahem*

GAMBROON

*tap tap tap*

is this thing on?

Bman 02-01-2011 11:48 PM

A Gambroon is a Javanese drinking song. Featuring complicated shifting rhythmic values, "gambroon!" is shouted once the singers can no longer keep count of the syllables in each line.

The worlds foremost expert on the Gambroon is the ethnomusicologist Marcus "Soorjo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant Chuckerbutty" Bales.

funkytuba 02-02-2011 03:50 AM

gambroon - a gullible person of Italian descent

Marcus Bales 02-02-2011 07:25 PM

gambroon - One of four kinds of poems that take something of the form or style or manner of someone else's original piece: 1) Imitations, where the new writer is trying to write in the same style of an admired other writer, and no mockery is intended; 2) Response poems reply, more or less directly, to the writer/narrator of the original poems, without attempting to mock the original's form, style, or manner; 3) Parody poems that reply, more generally, to the sensibility that admires the original, in order to satirize the original and its admirers' views of it; 4) Gambroons, poems or lyrics that don't really reply to the original at all, but rather take the salient characteristics of that original for the writer's own ends. The term "gambroon" originated as a term of opprobrium at sci-fi conventions, but was embraced by practitioners so thoroughly that now a secondary meaning of "gambroon" is a word whose formerly derogatory meaning has been turned around into a term of approval.

The Brazilian

... A 2006 study called "Did the Brazilian Kill the Pubic Louse?", written by NR Armstrong and JD Wilson, of Leeds General Infirmary, wonders at the sudden rarity of pubic lice in the UK and elsewhere. Published in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections, the study suggests a possible cause ... Dutch naturalist Kees Moeliker ... started a campaign to collect and preserve some specimens [of Phthiris pubis, the pubic louse] for the Rotterdam Natural History Museum, of which he is a curator. "When the bamboo forests that the giant panda lives in were cut down, the bear became threatened with extinction," ... -- Marc Abrahams, in The Guardian, Tuesday March 4, 2008

Girls, though you are tough or tender,
Fat, or medium, or slender,
Clean and sober, on a bender,
Drink it straight, or from a blender,
Free, or trussed in a suspender,
In firm control, or fond surrender,
Smooth the groove of your pudenda.
Burma Shave.

xfox 02-03-2011 01:06 AM

Gambroon n. the crew member of a pirate ship charged with guarding the booty.

Marcus Bales 02-04-2011 02:09 PM

gambroon - a lateen-rigged boat with out-riggers, used primarily in the Caribbean.

Hemingway and his pals used to rent a gambroon, and, after attracting sharks with chum, used Tommy-guns to shoot the fish.

Brynn 02-05-2011 01:23 AM

gambroon - a polite social obligation that, even when phoned in, always turns out to be far more trouble than it's worth.

"Did you talk to your sister today?"
"Yes."
"I could tell. Gambroon?"
"Yes. A completely ridiculous gambroon - I think I hurt myself trying not to react when she recounted an entire Glenn Beck show."