ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Marcus Bales 02-17-2011 09:24 AM

gambroon - the kernel or striking impetus for a piece of art, particularly one that doesn't make it into the final version.

"Some poems," he said, "have multiple gambroons, or, perhaps, a multitude of elements suddenly coalesce into a gambroon."

Reading Poets' Bios

Some are longer than the poem; some are sly
or arch, but most are dry
recitations
of lists of publications
or hobbies or pets,
Frequently a wife or husband gets
a mention, or nominations or other tries,
or the occasional win in a contest,
a selection in a “Best
Of” collection, or maybe a prize
or two, and sometimes travel or kids,
but some common concordance forbids
any sort of real
revelation. Yet, there’s an awkward feel
from almost every one
that quite a bit more work was done
on the bio than the poem.
By their bios you shall know ‘em.

lukkucairi 03-04-2011 10:01 PM

judging will be bukra fil mishmish

Marcus Bales 03-04-2011 10:17 PM

gambroon - nonsense words mumbled to try to persuade people agitating for an answer that they should stop asking questions and go home.

"Judging will be bukra fil mishmish", she gambrooned, turning and walking away.

lukkucairi 03-05-2011 12:47 PM

gambroon - a person who will automatically dismiss an unrecognized phrase as nonsense, rather than run a basic google search to find out for sure.

lukkucairi 03-05-2011 01:03 PM

Substituting New Zealand green apples for apricots, here is a judging. May Lawrence Durrell have mercy upon my soul.

The half-a-pound-of-macaroni-glued-to-construction-paper-and-spray-painted-gold award goes to funky, for the following.

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkytuba (Post 426979)
gambroon - a gullible person of Italian descent

Please display it prominently on your fridge. Thank you.

Bales, you get the Filk Song award for the following:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Bales (Post 426989)
gambroon - One of four kinds of poems that take something of the form or style or manner of someone else's original piece: 1) Imitations, where the new writer is trying to write in the same style of an admired other writer, and no mockery is intended; 2) Response poems reply, more or less directly, to the writer/narrator of the original poems, without attempting to mock the original's form, style, or manner; 3) Parody poems that reply, more generally, to the sensibility that admires the original, in order to satirize the original and its admirers' views of it; 4) Gambroons, poems or lyrics that don't really reply to the original at all, but rather take the salient characteristics of that original for the writer's own ends. The term "gambroon" originated as a term of opprobrium at sci-fi conventions, but was embraced by practitioners so thoroughly that now a secondary meaning of "gambroon" is a word whose formerly derogatory meaning has been turned around into a term of approval.

The Brazilian

... A 2006 study called "Did the Brazilian Kill the Pubic Louse?", written by NR Armstrong and JD Wilson, of Leeds General Infirmary, wonders at the sudden rarity of pubic lice in the UK and elsewhere. Published in the journal Sexually Transmitted Infections, the study suggests a possible cause ... Dutch naturalist Kees Moeliker ... started a campaign to collect and preserve some specimens [of Phthiris pubis, the pubic louse] for the Rotterdam Natural History Museum, of which he is a curator. "When the bamboo forests that the giant panda lives in were cut down, the bear became threatened with extinction," ... -- Marc Abrahams, in The Guardian, Tuesday March 4, 2008

Girls, though you are tough or tender,
Fat, or medium, or slender,
Clean and sober, on a bender,
Drink it straight, or from a blender,
Free, or trussed in a suspender,
In firm control, or fond surrender,
Smooth the groove of your pudenda.
Burma Shave.

your pass to ShadowCon is in the mail.

xfox gets a copy of "Licensed to Ill" and the Beastie Boys Professor award for this gem:

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfox (Post 426996)
Gambroon n. the crew member of a pirate ship charged with guarding the booty.

Bales is now awarded a share of xfox's booty for the following followup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Bales (Post 427026)
gambroon - a lateen-rigged boat with out-riggers, used primarily in the Caribbean.

Hemingway and his pals used to rent a gambroon, and, after attracting sharks with chum, used Tommy-guns to shoot the fish.

don't spend it all in one place.

I'm awarding the "And How" award to Brynn, as I'm presently sitting in bed next to my husband who is actually on the phone with his sister at this very moment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brynn (Post 427035)
gambroon - a polite social obligation that, even when phoned in, always turns out to be far more trouble than it's worth.

"Did you talk to your sister today?"
"Yes."
"I could tell. Gambroon?"
"Yes. A completely ridiculous gambroon - I think I hurt myself trying not to react when she recounted an entire Glenn Beck show."

Sister is, however, thankfully, not a Glenn Beck fan.

Grand prize in this round goes to Bman, for no other reason than I like the idea of Javanese drinking songs, especially when the drinking may involve kava. Contact me to collect your half-kilo of subtropical hallucinogenic roots and the Filipino woman I have hired to chew them for you and spit them into coconut shells.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman (Post 426976)
A Gambroon is a Javanese drinking song. Featuring complicated shifting rhythmic values, "gambroon!" is shouted once the singers can no longer keep count of the syllables in each line.

The worlds foremost expert on the Gambroon is the ethnomusicologist Marcus "Soorjo Alexander William Langobard Oliphant Chuckerbutty" Bales.

Congratulations, Bman. What's the new word?

gambroon, by the way, is n. 1. A kind of twilled linen cloth for lining.

Marcus Bales 03-08-2011 10:42 PM

gambroon - failure to award the Coveted Second Place Award in case Bman doesn't come through.

lukkucairi 03-09-2011 12:17 AM

gambroon - n. A kind of purplish-ochre, a color traditionally indicative of chagrin.

Lukku's face turned a pretty gambroon when she learned that she was still "it" over on the dictionary game thread.

Bman 03-09-2011 11:21 AM

This Dictionary Game © Word is brought to you by the ministry of Words that sound like other words but aren't (WTSLOWBA):

Gledge

lukkucairi 03-09-2011 09:49 PM

gledge n. The sigh of relief one gives after realizing that one is not on the hook for yet another round of the dictionary game.

lukkucairi 03-14-2011 01:11 PM

gledge n. The collection of goosnargh that accumulates in a quiescent Dictionary Game thread.

Marcus Bales 03-14-2011 08:56 PM

gledge - lineated prose; a style of contemporary free verse in English, characterized by intensification of the first person voice and an accessible appeal to a broad range of readers.

Challenged by a free verser to demonstrate that free verse is easier to write than poetry in meter, Marcus offered the following gledge:

Sympathy for Sharon Stone

I was cruising the internet the other day
looking for I don’t remember what
in relation to something else I don’t recall
when I found Joe Eszterhas’s blog.

He says:“I’m jealous
that Bill Goldman has won
two Oscars and I’ve won none.
But I bet Bill Goldman is jealous
that I’ve bedded Sharon Stone.”

Bedded – as if it’s just a matter of
patience and cunning:
lie in wait until a woman, however famous,
walks by a bed and wham! bam!
instant trophy.

Who’d have ever thought it before, but
poor Sharon Stone.
One night of drunken indiscretion
and she’s in everything that this guy writes,
even his blog.
Quite apart from my suspicion
he’d sell his wife at truckstops
to get an Oscar, that
is why you never sleep with writers –
because they’ll write about it.
Oh, you may not be Sharon Stone,
And the writer may not be, um, whatsisname,
but sooner or later
they’ll write about it.

Except for me.
Sleep with me.
I won’t tell.
I promise.

xfox 03-15-2011 12:42 AM

gledge a situation where things could go either way.

Realizing success was almost in his hands, yet he was still on the gledge, and making his move at the right moment was going to make all the difference.

Brynn 03-15-2011 06:11 AM

gledge - 1. n: the inner edge of an iceskater's blade, as opposed to the cray, or outer edge.
2. v: to finesse a difficult situation to one's own advantage.

"Watch out for my sister Blanche - she can gledge a figure-eight around mere mortals when it comes to negotiating a Scrabble board with just a handful of consonants and an open double word score square."

Marcus Bales 03-15-2011 08:53 AM

gledge - to pretend to be a guy from Australia instead of Brynn's sister Blanche in order to fool people into playing Scrabble with you.

After Brynn's comment Marcus suddenly saw through HFox's gledge.

MoJoRiSin 03-15-2011 10:59 AM

The actual meaning is to wean someone off of a medication or narcotic 1mg or less at a tile with no noticible cifference in the appearance of the tablet until they basically become homeopathic tablets. But during the 21 century it became a slang word amonst coffee suppliers when they realized they could sell the caffine to the sports drink industry folks.
Would someone please write the example sentence for me? I AM TOO SLEEPY AT THIS POINT TO COME UP WITH ONE ON TOP OF BEING LATE FOR WORK...