ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

trisherina 11-09-2007 12:21 AM

a straightforward, no nonsense matter-of-fact kind of day

Anna 11-09-2007 04:38 AM

can't decide

madasacutsnake 11-09-2007 06:56 AM

New question.

In which new hobby would you indulge, if you made "a bit more money"?

trisherina 11-09-2007 10:35 AM

Art collection.

auntie aubrey 11-09-2007 10:38 AM

borosililcate glasswork. i already do soft glass but you can only really create small things with soft glass. boro would allow me to work bigger with better colors. but in order to work boro you have to invest in a fairly hefty torch and a kiln to anneal the final product. that's a few grand right there. and then you have to burn an oxygen/propane mix, which means committing to buying oxygen in those large industrial sized tanks, which means you have to find a company that can supply the tanks and get on a delivery schedule, and which means you have to be able to build out the space to accommodate said tanks as well as proper ventilation to deal with the fumes given off by the oxy/propane and melted boro.

soft glass is so much cheaper. a couple of clamps, a hothead torch and a small cannister of map gas.

but oh, to work boro. my goal is to be able to make marbles and drawer pulls. i'm done with silly soft glass beads and ornaments.

brightpearl 11-09-2007 11:14 AM

Auntie and I have the same fantasy hobby. The similarities are starting to stack up. I'm starting to wonder if my existence is only an illusion and I'm really just a sock puppet of her imagination.
If I had more time as well as a little more moolah, I'd definitely do more arty crafty stuff.

It's not exactly a hobby, but I haven't traveled as much in recent years, and I really miss it.
Iceland

Japan

Everywhere..

lukkucairi 11-09-2007 11:37 AM

installation art.

zero 11-09-2007 03:44 PM

AQUASOMA 3

Brynn 11-10-2007 06:06 AM

I'd take a welding class

Coffee 11-10-2007 06:42 AM

^^^Similar to above. Metalurgy: Welding/Forging/Casting/Machining. I'd like to be able to make anything out of metal.

Frieda 11-10-2007 07:33 AM

i'd get myself a garden somewhere

or a sewing machine and someone to teach me how to use it

or take a bob ross painting course

or a telescope with camera

or a racing car

or more lego and build the eiffel tower

or a wii with some nice games

or maybe an oven so i could make some clay artwork

or a nice pencil set for drawing

or star trek space ship miniatures that i can glue together

or maybe i would just use the money to buy new boots

so many things! :)

edited to add:

i would learn to fly an airplane, or a helicopter! yes!

brightpearl 11-10-2007 07:42 AM

Question for Saturday the 10th:

I heard something like this on the radio the other day...
What one thing in your home tells a story about you/your life? Don't feel obliged to tell the story, but at least identify the object.

I'll be out all day, so I'll go ahead and answer...I have a brick from Janis Joplin's childhood house on my front porch. Telling the story would reveal more than I want to say publicly, but there is one.

Hyakujo's Fox 11-10-2007 08:21 AM

you blew it up didn't you?

lukkucairi 11-10-2007 12:45 PM

I have a granite ballast stone from a 16th century sailing ship.

yes, yes, I blew it up.

auntie aubrey 11-10-2007 04:41 PM

this was a tough question, and i ended up considering it a sort of "what would you save if there were a fire" kind of thing. it's not a single object, it's a set. but i regard the set as a single object.

my mom's complete 40 volume set of the yale shakespeare, 1925

note: not my photo. my tablecloth is prettier.

as they said on the simpsons, it won't bring much cash but its sentimental value is through the roof.