ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Brynn 05-18-2009 04:45 PM

I know how to artfully knot my scarves.

And I can crochet, which is really just knotting things with a hook.

But if you asked me to tie up that rowboat to the dock, or hang the tire swing from a tree, you'd better double-and-triple-check it.

I was just discussing the art of tying knots last night with my sons. Apparently they are scarred from their Boy Scouting experiences because that's all they ever did - no camping, no base jumping, no playing with fire or tracking animals through the woods in order to eat them. They just sat around and tied knots all evening while volunteer dads smoked crack, criticized them and beat the tar out of them.

MoJoRiSin 05-18-2009 08:44 PM

my husband loves learning and tying knots
he knots lots and lots ;)

well i meant knows lots and lots :D

i have learned a slew of knots over the years but that sort of stuff doesn't stick in my mind at all

I know how to tie a double fisherman's knot
or something like it used for a boot lace bracelet sort of thing
and a square knot that's about it

oh i forgot to answer part of the question
my father taught me the square knot and fisherman's knot then my husband taught me the bracelet knot when my daughter was 5 or 6 for obvious
beading reasons

trisherina 05-19-2009 01:46 AM

I like knots but like tech instructions they evaporate like sizzlings on hot pavement. I can do a square knot and otherwise, we use chocks. :)

Hyakujo's Fox 05-19-2009 02:04 AM

Well there's the double windsor, whatever knot it is I use to tie my shoes, and various mental knots.

I can still remember the first time I got the shoelace knot. It was done on some cardboard with holes in it, featuring a picture of a shoe so the holes were where they should be and a bright red lace. After numerous attempts I finally managed to get a very loose and precarious arrangement that looked right, so with great trepidation I slowly pulled to see if would tighten or dissolve like my previous attempts. Like a miracle it held. No one else seemed to grasp the magnitude of what had just occurred. People are like that.

Brynn 05-19-2009 03:39 AM

After all these years, I think you deserve a very hearty - and grossly belated - pat on the back for that, dear Hfox. Well done!

Hyakujo's Fox 05-19-2009 05:15 AM

Thank You Mrs Brynn. :)

Odbe 05-19-2009 06:44 AM

When I was a kid I used to find lists of knots and how to tie them in encyclopedias and copy them with a bit of string, but I've only ever remembered a few useful ones. Whenever I tie them I make up an impressive technical-sounding name, unless I'm with someone who did Scouts as a kid.

I know this one that ties onto something and doesn't come loose or tighten no matter how hard you pull on it, but with two hands you can adjust the size of the loop, and hence the length of the line bit. If your arm happens to be the thing it's attached to you'll probably only have one hand to pull at it with so you'll be in a bit of a pickle. I haven't found much of a use for it, but it looks clever.

I can also tie a sheet bend which ties two ropes/scarves/dog leads together even if they're different widths, and looks like it should come straight undone but hasn't so far. I remember it because I always end up needing it if I don't.

Lukku - the bowline one always eludes me. I remember how to tie it but always manage to put one bit under when it should have gone over and make a bung job of it. Every diagram seems to have a different opinion and it's made me think it's more trouble than it's worth.

All of those knots I got out of books. The only ones I remember being taught are my shoelaces knot and a bloodknot.

The bloodknot is a fishing knot and probably isn't spelled like that. I learned it in grade 6 when I elected to go fishing for weekly sport time. The teacher first made it clear that he would not stoop to tying anyone's hooks on their lines for them, then made the class learn and practice the knot over and over so they'd never forget it. So far this has turned out to be true, like some of the other things that teacher said. I haven't tied any hooks onto fishing lines since, but I have remembered the knot.

zero 05-19-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by li'l be
... the bowline one always eludes me ...

the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes round the tree and goes back down the hole

(i had a highly-decorated and glittering boyscout career)

Coffee 05-19-2009 11:07 AM

^^^ I could never remember that rabbit and tree thingy...someone showed me a way to tie a bowlin that involves twisting your wrist to create the initial loop, then flip the free end around the long end and pulling it back thru the loop. I do it with my eyes closed cuz it always looks wrong when my eyes are open...but works.

Oh...also...trucker's hitch...a wonderful knot to secure a load. Lets u double your pulling force to tighten a load down.

lukkucairi 05-19-2009 11:20 AM

^ ya, the rabbit thing never makes any sense to me :p

if I still lived where I had to tie up a boat fairly often I'd remember it though

QOTD20090519

how do you remember number strings, like phone numbers or addresses?

zero 05-19-2009 11:31 AM

who can be arsed with that palaver? when i need one i just make it up.

Frieda 05-19-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukkucairi (Post 411206)

QOTD20090519

how do you remember number strings, like phone numbers or addresses?

my phone remembers them for me
for pincodes, i memorize the movement of my hand

so complicated

brightpearl 05-19-2009 02:37 PM

I look for patterns...like if the number is

364-1573

I remember 3,4,5 are in sequence, alternating with 6+1=7, and the first and last numbers are bookends. It's silly and cumbersome, but I guess that's how my brain is. :D

Stephi_B 05-19-2009 05:08 PM

pin codes, phone numbers and such mostly manual (the more often I've really typed in a number the better I can memorise it, independent how long it is); house numbers, postal codes, birthdays I remember associative somehow (in connection with a feeling, a name, or as a kind of melody - just like I memorised nature constants and the periodic system of elements btw)

madasacutsnake 05-19-2009 07:11 PM

3456 7891 = 34 56 78 91

Addresses and such like by association. Halifax, Yorkshire by thinking of Titanic victims buried in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I find it difficult to remember people's names, even if I've known them for years. I avoid calling people by name.