ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Coffee 11-09-2009 02:27 PM

Afaka:: ah-Fake-ah

Product trademark of OPEC Foods Inc.

An Arabian food product under development in the anticipation of a global shift to alternative fuels, Afaka, derived from petroleum, is used as a substitute for grains, a commodity that experts predict will be in short supply in the middle east once demand for petroleum drops.

Marcus Bales 11-09-2009 06:46 PM

Hatherhew -- William Hatherhew, English poet and Arabist, b.1939, best known for his importation of afaka into English. Afaka are poems in an Arabic satiric poetic style that takes the rhythm and rhyme scheme of an existing poem or song and substitutes a new subject matter, usually for comic effect, without the implicit criticism of the original that characterizes parody. While the effect is often mocking or satirical, the intent of afaka is not to mock or satirize the original work, but rather to mock or satirize the subject of the new work instead.

Hamlet's Cook's Soliloquy

To soak, or not to soak: that is the question:
Whether 'tis browner in the pan to float on
The slips and slidings of a medium burner
or to fry hard amid a sea of butter,
and carmelize but yet stay soft in the middle,
all hot and crunchy-chewy; to fry, sautee,
no, more -- and by sauteeing say we end
the gooeyness and the thousand natural oozes
French toast is heir to, 'tis a consummation
devoutly to be wish'd. To fry, sautee,
sautee: perchance to burn: ay, there's the rub;
for in that heated pan what burns may come
when we have turned too high the electric coil
or gaseous flame that makes calamity;
For who would bear the sears and chars and scorches
before the late fork's proud turning prong,
the practiced flipping wrist, the spatula's delay,
who would fingers bare and say ow! ow!
and grunt and suck their heated digits
but that the hope of something left
the undiscovered middle from which burned
black flakes are rasped, and looks all right
and makes us rather eat these ones we have
than mix another batch and start again?
Thus laziness makes scrapers of us all;
And thus the naive view of excellence
is sicklied o'er with oh it's good enough,
and meals of great taste and fond enjoyment
with this regard their currents turn awry
and lose the name of breakfast.

xfox 11-09-2009 10:13 PM

hatherhew n. bush that, like the mulberry, is ideal for hiding in or around.

afaka v. ploy to partake in activities more to ones liking. Considered nefarious by some.

lukkucairi 11-10-2009 01:20 PM

I will judge the dictionary game by midnight tonight, Utah time.

The Trash Heap has spoken!

lukkucairi 11-11-2009 11:33 AM

...the Trash Heap lied (and got distracted by blinky lights) - so here's a judging before breakfast.

the Dendronic Stealth award goes to xfox, for hatherhew n. bush that, like the mulberry, is ideal for hiding in or around.
and
afaka v. ploy to partake in activities more to ones liking. Considered nefarious by some.
...when you're ready to come out, I've got some lovely ripe mulberries to share.

the True in Another Dimension award goes to Marcus Bales for Hatherhew -- William Hatherhew, English poet and Arabist, b.1939, best known for his importation of afaka into English. - Marcus will receive a sidelit lucite panel etched with his Hamlet and Eggs afaka and a titanium spatula that doubles as a ray gun.

Coffee weighs in with this Most Indigestible definition: Afaka:: ah-Fake-ah
Product trademark of OPEC Foods Inc.
...for which he receives one imperial pint of high fructose corn syrup in a lovely cut-glass collectible flask. Don't drink it all in one go, OK?

...but the overall winner is Brynn, for the nicely interassociated hatherhew - adj. (colloq.) askew, disheveled, particularly in regards to hair.
afaka - a "new" exotic plant extract that seems to appear solely for shampoo marketing purposes, but in fact comes from the humble crabgrass plant.
her prize is described below the afaka:

...and as to the "real" meanings of these words? Afaka: The Afaka script (afaka sikifi) is a syllabary of 56 letters devised in 1910 for the Ndyuka language, an English-based creole of Surinam. The script is named after its inventor, Afáka Atumisi.

Hatherhew: there is no prior known meaning for this word. As the Grand Prize for winning this round of the dictionary game, hatherhew will henceforth carry the meaning that Brynn so deftly created for it. Congratulations! Don't get too hatherhew over it - though you do carry off the "windswept look" so nicely :)

Brynn 11-12-2009 12:13 AM

I am humbled and surprised. Thank you, Lukku!

Okayyyy....time for another Lightning Round....unless I don't get to it in a timely manner.

whigmaleerie

Marcus Bales 11-12-2009 08:46 PM

whigmaleerie - to remain silent or still in the face of apparently certain discomfort or harm.

With the announcement of another lightning round, the previous of which had resulted in the first entry being summarily chosen as the winner, the Dictionary Game players formulated their definitions, but refrained from posting them, in order not to be caugh ... chosen as the winner of this round.

funkytuba 11-13-2009 02:33 PM

Whigmaleerie Song used to teach kids about how markets work

Whigmaleerie-low
Whigmaleerie-lie
Buy your stocks when low
Sell then when they're high

Brynn 11-14-2009 07:08 AM

My goodness, this is better than I thought. I was worried that there would be dozens of entries. It really is a real word, btw. Unfortunately, I have a vey sore throat and am not feeling good, so I need to extend this for as long as possible until I feel like judging it. Or i could just end this now an declare a winner..
Naw.
I'm going to sleep.

Marcus Bales 11-14-2009 12:14 PM

whigmaleerie - Scots. an odd or fanciful excuse.

Instead of saying she had broken fingers, she said she had a sore throat -- and couldn't type.

Brynn 11-15-2009 08:13 PM

that's right. I have a sore throat and cannot type.

Marcus Bales 11-16-2009 12:39 AM

whigmaleerie - grumpy sarcasm

Oh right "V" is a great show -- why don't you watch two episodes in a row while I'm trying to write this poem?

Hyakujo's Fox 11-16-2009 02:16 AM

whigmaleerie (n) a large false beard worn by lonely young scotsmen from beneath which they can comfortably ogle passing girls without creating concern due to their appearance of being too old to do anything about whatever they might be thinking anyway.

Brynn 11-20-2009 04:46 PM

Okay, this is fantastic!

Thank you everyone who entered a new definition for a word that really needed updating:
whigmaleerie
Pronunciation: \ˌhwig-mə-ˈlir-ē, ˌwig-\
Function: noun
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1730

1 chiefly Scottish : whim
2 chiefly Scottish : an odd or fanciful contrivance : gimcrack

You all deserve prizes. And you shall get them someday. Brownie points for everybody.

Marcus - you win "Social Commentator of the Year" for multiple clever entries.
I'm so vain, I probably think those def's are about me, I'm so vain...especially the comment about "V" which I agree is a truly crappy show but watching decent actors struggle with a terrible script is a guilty pleasure of mine, so suck it - and go be brilliant as usual.

Funkytuba wins the "Think of the Children Foundation's Golden Goblet of Fiscal Wisdom, Responsibility and Song" for:
Quote:

Whigmaleerie Song used to teach kids about how markets work

Whigmaleerie-low
Whigmaleerie-lie
Buy your stocks when low
Sell then when they're high

However, Hyakujo's Fox wins both Coveted Second Place as is the WINNER OF THIS ROUND, for this definition:
Quote:

whigmaleerie (n) a large false beard worn by lonely young scotsmen from beneath which they can comfortably ogle passing girls without creating concern due to their appearance of being too old to do anything about whatever they might be thinking anyway.
You also win a Starbuck's gift card from
this gentleman:

Hyakujo's Fox 11-21-2009 07:39 AM

First and second??? This is highly, HIGHLY irregular. However the rules don't seem to expressly forbid it.

So the new word is...
schtroumpfed