ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ¿ question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Avalon 10-24-2007 04:29 PM

Born a leftie, forced to become right handed by militant teachers in 1st grade. I still do most everything, except write, with my left hand. My dad was a leftie and bemoaned the fact that the world is, indeed ,set up for the right handers; he didn't squawk about the insisted upon change. I am left eye dominant and chew on the left side. Hsb. lost his thumb on his right hand, forcing him become left handed. I supposed that balances things out somehow.....

lukkucairi 10-24-2007 06:10 PM

wow, I thought they gave up that militant-right-handedness crap in the 19th century :(

dang first grade teachers. I hated mine too.

auntie aubrey 10-24-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avalon (Post 366059)
Born a leftie, forced to become right handed by militant teachers in 1st grade.

OFFENSIVE! OUTRAGEOUS! UNACCEPTABLE!

my dad found out recently that he was forced to be a righty. he never knew why he was so ambidextrous until that news hit him.

one of my teachers tried to convince my parents that they should let her strap my left arm down. my mother had a holy fit and rampaged her way through the school administration until they swore no teacher would ever be allowed to hint at such a preposterous suggestion again. unfortunately that meant most teachers wouldn't work with me during writing classes. it usually was "angle your paper like this and draw your letters like this..... oh.... lefties angle it the other way and use your other hand."

thus the infamous lefty wrist curl.

Frieda 10-24-2007 06:39 PM

hmm.. i'm kind of ambidextrous.. with everything i do with two hands, my left hand is dominant (swabbing floor, sweeping leaves, swinging a baseball bat, etc).. other stuff like writing, stirring, using scissors, mousing, i do with my right hand.

sounds like lukku's story, except for the carpal tunnel :)

Tunesmith 10-24-2007 06:41 PM

I'm a rightie in everything...writing, chewing, taking stairs, tennis, etc.

But strangely enough, I am a kickass left-handed ping-pong player. :rolleyes:

Jack Flanders 10-24-2007 07:20 PM

mostly right-handed but have a strong left hand from all the drafting and landscaping. i open jar lids for the hubby with my left hand and can paint and cut in trim using either hand.

Hyakujo's Fox 10-25-2007 09:58 AM

I use a knife and fork in the "left-hand" manner, but I think that way makes more sense for right handers anyway.

xfox 10-25-2007 10:25 AM

My right hand never takes my left hand for granted.

lukkucairi 10-25-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Flanders (Post 366077)
mostly right-handed but have a strong left hand from all the drafting and landscaping. i open jar lids for the hubby with my left hand and can paint and cut in trim using either hand.

I'm a left-handed jar-opener as well, and I will use my left hand to do detail painting if I can't fit my right hand into the space.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox (Post 366114)
I use a knife and fork in the "left-hand" manner, but I think that way makes more sense for right handers anyway.

I was taught to eat with a knife and fork in the "British" manner - fork in left hand, knife in right, not putting down utensils to switch hands like they do in the US. Is this "left-hand" manner?

auntie aubrey 10-25-2007 11:53 AM

new question of the day.

how does this make you feel and do you think this should be an option for all commercially manufactured automobiles?

T.I.P. 10-25-2007 12:16 PM

yes, it seems like a worthy option

i kinda wish i also had that option as a pedestrian, to deal with drivers who honk their stupid horns at traffic lights :cool:

Angry Kid Hoyt 10-25-2007 03:21 PM

Yes.
But to smack people on bikes that don't think that they have to follow traffic rules, but get pissy if you don't.

Disclaimer:
I love and admire bicyclists.

madasacutsnake 10-25-2007 06:09 PM

It makes me feel happy. I need one for my desk at work.

auntie aubrey 10-25-2007 06:12 PM

you know how it makes me feel? it makes me feel baffled by the way the pedestrians have spaced themselves along the road so that the device has adequate time to reload and redeploy. MOVE 3 INCHES TO THE RIGHT, EVERYONE!

i think it should be an option. but i don't think it should be standard. it should be a rather pricey upgrade. there should be an alternate option where instead of a boxing glove, the device has a fistful of pretty posies.

Frieda 10-25-2007 06:36 PM

i think it'd take some time to learn how to aim properly with that thing

lukkucairi 10-25-2007 07:48 PM

^^ needs to be computer-controlled and laser guided :)

I want one. Actually, I want the superpower to magically confiscate people's vehicles if they're driving like jackasses. *POOF* you have no car! I'd end up confiscating my own much of the time, though, so maybe that's not such a great idea...

Jack Flanders 10-26-2007 01:35 AM

upset. nope. not where I live.

Anna 10-26-2007 03:50 AM

...two parter...
sleep - how do you (usually) fall asleep, on your right, left, front, back?
wake - how do you (usually) wake, on your right, left, front, back?

Stephi_B 10-26-2007 05:56 AM

atm: back - back

madasacutsnake 10-26-2007 07:36 AM

Fall asleep on my right. Do not touch me. Wake up on my right.

auntie aubrey 10-26-2007 09:46 AM

falling asleep depends on why i'm sleeping. if i'm going to sleep for a full night's slumber i do so on my right. if i'm napping, i do so on my back.

if i'm napping i wake up on my back. i don't roll over when napping. if i'm doing a full night i wake up on my back or right side. i may then make a conscious decision to roll to the left and get 30 minutes more. but i can't do any kind of deep meaningful sleep on my left.

craig johnston 10-26-2007 09:50 AM

deja vu

;)

auntie aubrey 10-26-2007 09:54 AM

^ deja vu again!

lukkucairi 10-26-2007 10:11 AM

right, back.

unless it's a "rotisserie chicken" night :o

12"razormix 10-26-2007 01:40 PM

sleep - left, looking at the moon
wake - no idea!

zero 10-26-2007 02:21 PM

^arse

seep - the perfect angle of pillow and shoulder varies
wake - befuddled ness

T.I.P. 10-26-2007 02:27 PM

sleep: on my right side, dream of changing variables within integrals
wake: looking at ceiling, feeling LATE must run must run

trisherina 10-27-2007 12:41 AM

to sleep: right side, always.
waking: left side, always.

Jack Flanders 10-27-2007 01:01 AM

left to right and then wrong

zero 10-27-2007 07:12 AM

¿ question of the day ? for saturday 27th october - i made a poll of it using this little poll thing i found

when was the last time you danced in public?

yeh and you can tell us about it too if you want to

T.I.P. 10-27-2007 08:36 AM

cannie remembre, but i think the last time i went all out and danced in public was at least 3 months ago :confused: .

i'm planning on making a fool out myself on a few dancefloors soon though ;)

brightpearl 10-27-2007 11:49 AM

9-14-2007

auntie aubrey 10-27-2007 12:03 PM

it's been donks.

trisherina 10-27-2007 12:42 PM

Pressing the button on the little poll thingy was fun. Do I have to do that in public too?

auntie aubrey 10-27-2007 06:29 PM

^ 1 question per day, please, lest you incur the wrath of z.

or zwrath, as i like to call it.

T.I.P. 10-27-2007 06:46 PM

^ :D

Anna 10-27-2007 07:06 PM

it remembered me

lukkucairi 10-27-2007 11:08 PM

I think it was last month, but I'm not too sure...

brightpearl 10-28-2007 08:52 AM

for sun oct. 28

How do you take your coffee (or tea)? Then make some sort of amusing-if-questionable correlation between that and some other aspect of your life.

Stephi_B 10-28-2007 09:57 AM

"amusing-if-questionable correlation", oi that's hard intellectual work for a Sunday, but okey-dokey let's try it... ;)

Drink coffee either with milk (if normal milk is available, concentrated milk is bäh!) or with sugar (2 pieces/teaspoons usually, but 3 if Vanya or another "coffee is only good when a spoon can stand in it" person has made the coffee) depending on mood and/or availability of needed substances - anything else (both milk and sugar) I consider extremely decadent and do so only after sex (of course normal milk and sugar have to be available somehow and I need not have additionally an acute hangover, see below) or in a nobel cafe (where waiters wear bow ties or such), in latter case I even like to be very, very decadent and take the brown sugar. In extreme cases (acute hangover, acute migraine, out in the wilderness, chaotic situations like in the middle of moving from A to B) I drink coffee black, preferably thick so a spoon can stand in it.

Correlates to my life in general being some sort of nested code (could be written by a Japanese theoretically physicist, most probably in unintelligable FORTRAN 66, after he attended a karaoke party involving too much sake - no I don't think about anyone in particular :D) with lots of IF X THEN conditions and randomly thus unpredictable scattered, coding-technically very sleazy GO TO Y clauses, but me nevertheless yearning for simple either / or's, either milk or sugar so to say.