ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   DEBATE HALL (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   the best/worst grocery store pizza (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=3070)

fodder 10-20-2003 09:11 PM

the best/worst grocery store pizza

best: tombstone or red baron

worst: totinos

go!!!!!!!!1

fodder 10-20-2003 10:08 PM

i guess you're thinking very hard

catbelly 10-20-2003 10:09 PM

Actually I don't eat grocery store pizza :( sorry, no help from me.

fodder 10-20-2003 10:13 PM

you're just mad cause i wont contribute to more pressing issues :(

moel 10-20-2003 10:20 PM

NOW I WANT PIZZA

catbelly 10-20-2003 10:29 PM

Hee!! It's not delivery, it's Delicio! I am the obnoxious one that won't believe that it's not delivery.

The only grocery store pizza I have had recently is pizza pops - does that count? I was going to school in Windsor (Ontario, Canada) and the food svcs went on strike so I had to eat tons of fast food all year. I love pizza pops to this day but they sure made my arse bigger.

lapietra 10-21-2003 02:09 AM

Can't do grocery store pizza once I discovered Trader Joe's fresh dough... Store-bought always either turns out burnt or gummy (or both)... I just make my own. :D Super-easy and sooooogooood.....

SuperCaliFragil 10-21-2003 04:30 PM

I discovered that some take and bake chains will sell u just the crust and a bit of pizza sauce. (very low cal pizza)

It is soooo easy to grate cheese and chop your own veggies...why pay to have someone else do it.

A place near me sells me a medium crust for only $2.50 with sauce. I give it a flip or two to streatch it out so that it becomes a large pizza. Add $2 worth of cheese and veggies and i'm in heaven for $4.50...FOR A LARGE PIZZA. That's cheaper than grocery pizza and waaaaay better.

:cool:

catbelly 10-21-2003 04:46 PM

Huh! Smaht, I say. I don't think I have seen take & bake chains, though (I'm in Vancouver, Canada). Is that a common thing?

priceyfatprude 10-21-2003 05:04 PM

Home Run Inn, out of Chicago. Also, UNO'S Spinoccoli.

No hydrogenated oil. :D

Worst: Anything w/hydrogenated oil, for I am allergic. Although I used to love's Tony's w/the Italian pastry crust & DiGiorno's Spinach Mushroom Garlic.

TinaBina 10-22-2003 11:23 AM

I love this little place near me: Gaetano's in Springfield PA. They put the sauce on top of the cheese. The crust is amazing.

When I get pizza from the store, I go with the store's generic brand of Ellio's pizza. The sauce is better and more cheese. I also like Stouffer's French Bread pizza.

Another way to make pizza when you have no dough is to use a tortilla and broil it with the cheese and sauce on top. Less calories than dough.

catbelly 10-22-2003 03:45 PM

Sometimes I put pizza toppings on naan bread or pita bread.

Usually, though, if I have a pizza craving I want a specific type of pizza ... like the spinach pesto pizza from Flying Wedge in Vancouver. Holy smack I love their pizza!!

SuperCaliFragil 10-22-2003 10:17 PM

Man...I realllly love pizza. It is like a complete balanced meal

Heres my latest Pizza ingredients favs. (mind you I am in California where anything can legitimately reside on top of a pizza).

Good crust of course...i like thicker rather than thin.
Brush olive oil all over crust.
Just a very light brush of standard red sauce, brush some over "handle" part of crust too.
lightly sprinkle with Cheddar to just cover sauce.
Arrange lightly sauteed mushrooms over cheddar.
place thin tomato slices between and over the mushrooms.

(heres the freeky good part)
Thin slices of figs
lightly fried thick sliced bacon (about 1.5 sq inch pieces)
and a bit of Gorganzola Cheese scattered around.

put small dabs of red sauce around pie.
sprinkle mozzarella and parmissian cheese on top

mmmmmmmmm.

catbelly 10-23-2003 02:07 PM

Holy smack, SuperCaliFragi ... you can come over and cook me pizza anytime!

Vancouver is sort of like that too - that many and varied things are found on pizza. I worked at a place once (I was actually in charge of making the dough!) that had a "peking duck" pizza - hoisin sauce, green onions, duck, and smoked mozza. I didn't really like it a lot to be honest, cheese and chinese don't mix that well IMO :)

Yah NYC - Flying Wedge is one of my favourite things about Vancouver!

SuperCaliFragil 10-24-2003 02:56 PM

Whole wheat...yes...def. more pizza joints should use whole wheat for the crusts. They should put fresh chopped herbs in the crust too IMHO. I do when I make my own dough, whole wheat with herbs, mmmmyyy.

I'd love to cook you a pizza catbelly...but not driving to Vancuver to do it..sooorrrryy.
:(