ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   Et Cetera (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   quotation debate, part II (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=13246)

YsaPur EsChomuw 04-13-2008 01:10 PM

The night sky was still light, a glow to the west, and it was warm. Many waters cannot quench love: the anthems setting remained in her ears, repeating itself; a tune so powerful that it might gird one against the disappointments of life, rather than make one aware that our attempts to subdue the pain of unrequited love of impossible love, of love that we are best to put away and not to think about tended not to work, and only made the wounds of love more painful.

Alexander McCall Smith: Friends, Lovers, Chocolate

12"razormix 04-13-2008 02:13 PM

love does not cause suffering: what causes it is the sense of ownership, which is love's opposite.

antoine de saint-exupery

zero 04-13-2008 04:56 PM

PEGGY: don't tell me you were jealous?
HANK: no! i was just mad that you were spending all your time with that guy, and i wanted you to spend it with me! jealousy had nothing to do with it!

trisherina 04-14-2008 02:14 AM

It is in the thirties that we want friends. In the forties we know they won't save us any more than love did.

-- F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephi_B 04-14-2008 11:55 AM

We do not grow absolutely, chronologically. We grow sometimes in one dimension, and not in another; unevenly. We grow partially. We are relative. We are mature in one realm, childish in another. The past, present, and future mingle and pull us backward, forward, or fix us in the present. We are made up of layers, cells, constellations.

Anas Nin

zero 04-14-2008 03:47 PM

while the leg room is constantly changing, the width of seats have not changed. only our phat arses have gotten wider. even worse than the phat arse is the upper body width of some of these guys!

- sacken@someforum

12"razormix 04-14-2008 04:22 PM

you don't expect me to fall for that, do you?

a.

zero 04-14-2008 04:52 PM

some estimates are very carefully done, others don't involve much more than wetting a finger and putting it in the air.

- marcus morton

T.I.P. 04-15-2008 12:10 AM

Golf is a game in which you yell 'fore', shoot six and write down five.

Paul Harvey

brightpearl 04-15-2008 01:45 AM

I wish I could drink like a lady;
I can take one or two at the most --
Three and I'm under the table,
Four and I'm under the host.

~Dorothy Parker

YsaPur EsChomuw 04-15-2008 06:38 AM

There is no safety in numbers, or in anything else.

James Thurber

Stephi_B 04-15-2008 01:14 PM

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Douglas Adams

12"razormix 04-15-2008 02:28 PM

a man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push.

ludwig wittgenstein

Anna 04-16-2008 12:36 PM

"I notice," said the duck, "that you only talk with one of your mouths. Can't the other head talk as well?"

"Oh, yes," said the pushmi-pullyu. "But I keep the other mouth for eating--mostly. In that way I can talk while I am eating without being rude. Our people have always been very polite."

zero 04-17-2008 01:45 PM

gilbert: ellen, could you not talk with your mouth full?

ellen: excuse me?

gilbert: you're making me sick. i'm gonna throw up.

- from what's eating gilbert grape