ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ┐ question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Jack Flanders 05-01-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie aubrey (Post 385671)
you can't take it as a generalization for all schools. what's absolutely absurd is that gym classes focus on building none of the strength or endurance required to do these exercises, like you will never ever ever ever do a pull-up until the day they introduce you to the fitness test.

and of course gym teachers are frustrated jocks so they belittle and embarrass kids who can't pass the minimum level of achievement. their concern is that the overall fitness of their school's kids is their responsibility so they treat kids who don't pass like failures.

as you may have already guessed, i always always always failed the pull-up test.

me fvcking, too. i ran my ass off and beat most of the boys but the gd pull-up test almost almost spouted blood from my ears.

trisherina 05-01-2008 01:01 AM

Economics. Cosmology. Humility.

Coffee 05-01-2008 02:45 PM

Add: Life skills (economic, cooking, health, relationships), critical thinking, emphasize science education far more than currently, more art, more music, more vocational ed, more money for teachers.

Remove: Team sports (let the fans and parents of the participants in these non-educational games pay for sports and the expensive ball fields and equipment and coaches associated with them, not taxpayers...get sports the hell outa "school" lest Americans continue to think "sports" are a vital part of "education".), 1/2-2/3 of the administrators.

auntie aubrey 05-01-2008 03:22 PM

all right, we're into day 2 on this ┐ question ?

new ┐ question of the day ?

actually in the spirit of jeopardy this will be the ¡ answer of the day ! please answer the following in the form of a ┐ question ?

¡ this is the first song you heard today !

Stephi_B 05-01-2008 04:06 PM

┐ Do I look as if I had no breakfast yet ?

lukkucairi 05-01-2008 10:55 PM

┐what is OH!?

T.I.P. 05-02-2008 03:11 AM

some old rock n roll in brooklyn

zero 05-02-2008 03:25 AM

i know nothing of this jeopardy

.......................................................?.......
┐ question of the friday may 2nd ?

if a lion could talk, we could not understand him

i was wondering, what is your interpretetation of this famous saying of philososososopher ludwig wittgenstein?

......................................................?.......

YsaPur EsChomuw 05-02-2008 03:47 AM

Mmm... because if a lion was talking to me and it said 'food' it would mean... me?

Ok, ok, because being a lion is a totally different experience than being human. And, btw, I often cannot understand a fellow human being, let alone an animal...

Anna 05-02-2008 06:02 AM

silly, lions never talk to monkeys

Marcus Bales 05-02-2008 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda (Post 385684)
oh of course-- just, the fact that schools are serving food is already different from the NLs! here at "lagere school" ...

Now, see -- there's one of those cultural differences people are always talking about. A lager school! You'd never see kids going to a beer school in the US.

YsaPur EsChomuw 05-02-2008 07:54 AM

Maybe 'lager' here stands for a forced-labour camp.

madasacutsnake 05-02-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 385837)
i

if a lion could talk, we could not understand him

i was wondering, what is your interpretetation of this famous saying of philososososopher ludwig wittgenstein?

It involves islanders being unable to see tall ships because it was outside of their experience.

Stephi_B 05-02-2008 08:48 AM

Because we wouldn't really listen if he could?

trisherina 05-02-2008 09:56 AM

We couldn't because we'd be far too busy interpreting and analyzing every word of what the lion was saying about us and who we appeared to be to her.

Frieda 05-02-2008 10:20 AM

it illustrates the arrogance of man thinking that there are no intelligent beings in the whole universe but man itself. as usual, man is too preoccupied looking for what he already knows, instead of understanding the sheer beauty of what has been for ages.

Marcus Bales 05-02-2008 10:28 AM

Interestingly enough, porpoises and whales do "talk to us" and we can't understand them. It's a matter of perspective similar to that illustrated, from the other side of the thing, as it were, by the old notion that if oxen had a god it would look like an ox. And it's further complicated by the lion's likely view of us as a sort of dangerous prey animal not worth talking to. Probably lions would be saying to us, "Shh -- quit struggling, relax; everything will be fine once I'm not hungry any more." And since that involves the very alien notion of us accepting our death for the lion's benefit, we wouldn't understand it.

A Parable
Arthur Conan Doyle

The cheese-mites asked how the cheese got there,
And warmly debated the matter;
The Orthodox said that it came from the air,
And the Heretics said from the platter.
They argued it long and they argued it strong,
And I hear they are arguing now;
But of all the choice spirits who lived in the cheese,
Not one of them thought of a cow.

auntie aubrey 05-02-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 385837)
i know nothing of this jeopardy

it pains me to know you've been deprived of the wonder of jeopardy.

Coffee 05-02-2008 02:08 PM

Wittgenstein believed, incorrectly, that lions have a really thick Scottish accent...and Wittgenstein had trouble understanding Scots...like who doesn't.

zero 05-02-2008 04:28 PM

let us not forget that as well as being a great philosopher, wittgenstein was also a great fan of popmusic. his remark about not being able to understand a lion, i feel, was made in annoyance and frustration because he couldnie understand the jibberish words of the song ♪the lion speaks tonight♪:
♪♪♪in the jungle the mighty jungle the lion speaks tonight
we-de-de-de
de-de-de-de-de
de-we-um-um-a-way
we-de-de-de
de-de-de-de-de
we-um-um-a-way

a-wimoweh, a-wimoweh
a-wimoweh, a-wimoweh
a-wimoweh, a-wimoweh.....♪♪♪

Brynn 05-02-2008 08:41 PM

In other words, wittgenstein didn't think we should worry too much about it, and felt we should focus instead on more important things like yodeling in falsetto.

T.I.P. 05-03-2008 05:47 AM

Dans la jungle
terrible jungle
le lion est mort ce soir

oooooooouiiiiiiii
oh oui oh oui
oh ouimbowÚ

ooooooooouiiii
oh oui oh oui
oh ouimbowÚ

T.I.P. 05-03-2008 05:48 AM

ta ta ta

tatatata

ta ta ta

poopoom *psshh*

Hyakujo's Fox 05-03-2008 07:23 AM

maybe he was suggesting that lions are philosophers.

lukkucairi 05-03-2008 11:16 AM

Mother Lion went out to buy Johnny a new book.
She looked and looked.
At last she found a book about a baby lion.
The book was called The Little Lion.

trisherina 05-03-2008 12:03 PM

┐ question of the day ? for May 3rd ish.

Aside from the fiction project, what's your favourite thing on zefrank.com?

YsaPur EsChomuw 05-03-2008 12:44 PM

the scribbler
(That's how I learned about Ze's other stuff. Someone sent me a link to the scribbler a couple of months ago and when I was done playing with it I checked out other projects, too. Amazing things...)

Frieda 05-03-2008 01:32 PM

the naughty bird clips

http://www.zefrank.com/naughtybird/

brightpearl 05-03-2008 01:43 PM

love song for Condi

zero 05-03-2008 03:32 PM

hard to choose a favourite but ze's edgy ness in small world draws me back again and again. (there's also an irony that wasn't there before, given the subsequent rise of the current plethora of social-network sites.. including his latest playground, twitter.

as a side note, browsing through the site again to answer this qotd, and seeing at a single-sitting the sheer breadth, depth and kaleidoscopic brilliance of what he's created there and given to us, it occurs to me that zefrank.com is a body of work that someday should become a permanent exhibit in the MOMA.

auntie aubrey 05-03-2008 05:43 PM

i haven't spent substantial time on the regular zefrank.com server in quite a while. so i'd have to say this board, fast chat.

trisherina 05-04-2008 12:15 AM

I always loved the resolutions. Much sweet ness in them.

Stephi_B 05-04-2008 09:50 AM

Here: Fast Chat, Frieda's forum, Et Cetera.

lukkucairi 05-04-2008 01:16 PM

zeblog.

first time I ever got rickrolled :p

brightpearl 05-04-2008 04:21 PM

for the next 24 hours or so...

What might be good glued on a mailbox?

auntie aubrey 05-04-2008 04:35 PM

a rusty pike with a head mounted upon it, to strike fear in the hearts of your enemies and keep the mongrels of hell at bay.

T.I.P. 05-04-2008 11:56 PM

a dried cucumber

Anna 05-05-2008 12:17 AM

seebe 05-05-2008 12:18 AM

Dirty socks

lukkucairi 05-05-2008 12:27 AM

DEJA VU all over again

glitter. our mailbox needs glitter. too bad it's just a slot in our door...