ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Coffee 12-01-2008 01:03 PM

Yep, but the ability to do so on a boat is a problem...when i moved I pruned the pack rat cellar down to the essential stuff that could fit in a trunk stored on my folk's property...and kept a couple of semi-usefull bits for the boat.
Tossing out all that stuff felt risky at the time...wonder if im gonna regret dumping the memory hard copies someday.

lukkucairi 12-01-2008 01:14 PM

I have a friend who *was* a pack rat - she just lost all her belongings plus her house to black mold...

she says it was awful, but she's also appreciating the freedom from the weight of her past, if that makes any sense

Brynn 12-01-2008 06:44 PM

I just do it all here. I'm in the process of eliminating any written evidence (diaries, journals) around the house because I shudder to think of anyone reading it. I'm past the point of being candid in print, and incapable of feeling that anything is truly private anymore - more so after seeing diaries being subpoenaed in lawsuits while owners of them watched helplessly.

12"razormix 12-01-2008 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Odbe (Post 402386)
Do you think it's important to keep records of your

history - yes
journals, diaries - no
newspaper cuttings - no
photos - yes
awards - no
etc. - yes

Jack Flanders 12-02-2008 01:41 AM

^ ditto on her

zero 12-02-2008 08:18 AM

i'm a compulsive note taker of ideas and thinkings and jottings and forever. notebooks? i've got drawers full of 'em.
more recently i've taken to cameraphonesnapping wee pictures of all manner of stuff i come across and storing it all here - a NEW! FREE! service i cannot recommend highly enough

and then, coincidentally with odbe's qotd i saw this good advice yesterday (full article here)
"and the work is: only collect; that is to say, collect everything, indiscriminately. you’re five years old. don’t presume too much to know what’s important and what isn’t. photocopy journal articles, photograph archives; create bibliographies, buy books; make notes on every article or book you read, even if it’s just one line saying “never read this again”; collect newspaper clippings and email them to yourself; collect quotes; save your ideas for future papers, future projects, future conferences, even if they seem wildly implausible now. hoarding must become instinctual, it must be an uncontrollable, primal urge. and the higher, civilizing impulse that kicks in after the fact is organization, or librarianship. you must keep tabs on everything you collect, somehow; a system must be had, and the system must be idiot-proof. that is to say, you should be able to look back on it six months for now and not be completely stymied as to why you’ve organized things that way. (the present versions of ourselves are invariably the biggest idiots, and six months will make that clear).

Hyakujo's Fox 12-02-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 402500)
more recently i've taken to cameraphonesnapping wee pictures of all manner of stuff i come across and storing it all here - a NEW! FREE! service i cannot recommend highly enough

I knew the internet would come in handy eventually!

Frieda 12-02-2008 08:14 PM

i can't turn my bakc on this bulletin broad for 2 days or Mr. zero starts talking about whatever it is he's keeping in his drawers :mad:

12"razormix 12-03-2008 03:37 PM

i KNOW! but it makes him so happy......... :rolleyes:

zero 12-03-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frieda
i can't turn my bakc on this bulletin broad for 2 days or Mr. zero starts talking about whatever it is he's keeping in his drawers :mad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zormix
i KNOW! but it makes him so happy......... :rolleyes:

:mad: keep going - i'm writing it all down in my little black notebook

Hyakujo's Fox 12-04-2008 09:38 AM

QOTD/20081204

Do you have a strong expectation of what your life will be like 5 years from now?

If yes, do you expect it will be much the same?

If no, do you expect it will be much the same?

Coffee 12-04-2008 12:36 PM

Yes!!

No.

btw...that was two-three questions.

YsaPur EsChomuw 12-04-2008 12:39 PM

I expect to be five years older. :(
I suspect it won't be the same as now. :(

lukkucairi 12-04-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox (Post 402662)

Do you have a strong expectation of what your life will be like 5 years from now?

If yes, do you expect it will be much the same?

If no, do you expect it will be much the same?

erm...I have no idea what shape it'll be in 5 years' time, except 5 years further along...

it won't be much the same, whatever happens

zero 12-04-2008 02:19 PM

i should very much like to have a FLYING CAR :)