ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

YsaPur EsChomuw 07-13-2009 01:00 PM

Yes, exactly. In such a situation one needs to cuss, it helps to ease the pain a bit.

brightpearl 07-13-2009 01:24 PM

How bizarre. I just turned up to post this in news of the day (subfolder: things we've always suspected) and here you are already talking about it.
Apparently the word of your own choice is most effective.

Swearing Makes Pain More Tolerable
LiveScience.com
livescience.com Sun Jul 12, 10:10 am ET

That muttered curse word that reflexively comes out when you stub your toe could actually make it easier to bear the throbbing pain, a new study suggests.

Swearing is a common response to pain, but no previous research has connected the uttering of an expletive to the actual physical experience of pain.

"Swearing has been around for centuries and is an almost universal human linguistic phenomenon," said Richard Stephens of Keele University in England and one of the authors of the new study. "It taps into emotional brain centers and appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language production occurs in the left cerebral hemisphere of the brain."

Stephens and his fellow Keele researchers John Atkins and Andrew Kingston sought to test how swearing would affect an individual's tolerance to pain. Because swearing often has an exaggerating effect that can overstate the severity of pain, the team thought that swearing would lessen a person's tolerance.

As it turned out, the opposite seems to be true.

The researchers enlisted 64 undergraduate volunteers and had them submerge their hand in a tub of ice water for as long as possible while repeating a swear word of their choice. The experiment was then repeated with the volunteer repeating a more common word that they would use to describe a table.

Contrary to what the researcher expected, the volunteers kept their hands submerged longer while repeating the swear word.

The researchers think that the increase in pain tolerance occurs because swearing triggers the body's natural "fight-or-flight" response. Stephens and his colleagues suggest that swearing may increase aggression (seen in accelerated heart rates), which downplays weakness to appear stronger or more macho.

"Our research shows one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists," Stephens said.

The results of the study are detailed in the Aug. 5 issue of the journal NeuroReport.

Coffee 07-13-2009 07:46 PM

SMELL CHECH UR F*CKING BREADS WHEN U TOAST THEM.

r.x.
i feel much breader.

brightpearl 07-13-2009 07:54 PM

Ooooh....I feel better too! Placebo by proxy.

Brynn 07-14-2009 04:14 PM

Swearing is a wonderful thing. With teenage boys who are playing Halo in the rec room with their friends all afternoon, I do find it irritating to listen to them swear ALL the livelong day. It makes me feel a lot more aggressive myself, and less civil.

That's why I ask them to save their swear words for special occasions - that's what they're for. If their squadron gets wiped out by aliens, they have to think more creatively, and it's pretty funny what they come up with.

Anna 07-14-2009 06:37 PM

what do you do when stuff like this happens?

usually I

Hyakujo's Fox 07-15-2009 04:32 AM

I check off "Threaten to Leave" on my Board Troll Bingo card.

lukkucairi 07-15-2009 06:09 AM

read the fine print

Coffee 07-15-2009 02:58 PM

scan for smileys

madasacutsnake 07-15-2009 06:31 PM

QOTD

What squares are on your Board Troll Bingo card?

Brynn 07-15-2009 11:12 PM

Being even meaner and more sarcastic than I am

MoJoRiSin 07-16-2009 12:30 AM

i was thinking she meant ...........

oh well it doesn't matter........

here is someone else's list::

http://www.waste.org/10.html

scroll down a bit for the actual list :)

link courtesy of
pierre assouline's blog entry
for today

thank you pierre!

Hyakujo's Fox 07-16-2009 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madasacutsnake (Post 413256)
QOTD

What squares are on your Board Troll Bingo card?

Raising the topic of trolling.

*tick*

lukkucairi 07-16-2009 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox (Post 413274)
Raising the topic of trolling.

*tick*

recursive snark

*tick*

trisherina 07-16-2009 02:01 AM

"overweening modem geek"

*tick*