ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Brynn 01-19-2007 03:48 PM

:D
hey, good luck with all that, btw!

Hyakujo's Fox 01-20-2007 08:31 AM

scissel (n) a student whose spirit has been crushed by excessive examination.

Marcus Bales 01-20-2007 06:07 PM

scissel (n) - a promise made deliberately to put off a deadline or due date.

xfox 01-21-2007 12:29 AM

scissel a validated sigh

Hyakujo's Fox 01-21-2007 03:18 AM

scissel (n) an entry submitted for no other purpose than creating more work for the judge.

Hyakujo's Fox 01-21-2007 03:20 AM

scissel (v) to submit a scissel

Hyakujo's Fox 01-21-2007 03:22 AM

scissel (v) to cause one's fingernails to sweat

Is it hot out today?

Oh man, it's scisselling!

trisherina 01-21-2007 03:23 AM

scissel: The sound made by Dictionary Gamers when judging is slow.

Marcus Bales 01-21-2007 11:04 AM

scissel: What slow judges do in Hell.

Brynn 01-22-2007 12:34 AM

scissel a particularly entertaining round of the Dictionary Game.

"He was such a promising noob, and what a fine scissel that was," they all agreed, bobbing their heads and clucking over the spit as they basted. "Watch out, the meat may have bits of eggshells..." someone warned.

Tunesmith 01-22-2007 12:37 AM

Don't hold your breath, Dictionary Gamers, but the judging will be coming within the hour! I promise loads of awards and even more sarcasm. :D

Brynn 01-22-2007 12:56 AM

Hellllloooooooo!!!!!!:D

Tunesmith 01-22-2007 12:59 AM

Holla, Brynn!

Tunesmith 01-22-2007 01:19 AM

The Actual Definition "Neverwouldaguessed" Award goes to The Free Dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Scissel) for:

Scisīsel
n. 1. The clippings of metals made in various mechanical operations.
2. The slips or plates of metal out of which circular blanks have been cut for the purpose of coinage.

Not bad, eh?

The "The Judges Get the Hint and Will Be More Prompt To Decide Next Time" Award goes to Brynn, for her oh, so subtle:

scissel - n. ambitious substitute leader or interloper who appears to the relief of all concerned to fill a leadership vacuum, awarding prizes indiscriminately and buying free drinks in a raucous manner (see scisselizer - one who nominates a scissel).

"Where's that handsome boy Jedi that just walked in?" Blanche demanded. "He'd make a wonderful scissel if only his chin could clear the bar!"

The judges were intrigued by the mention of the space-time continuum, but resisted the urge to get all technical.

The "Short Yet Sweet" Award goes to 12"razormix, for:

scissel, n.

a small dog turd

The judges haven't seen such a pithy answer in a long time.

The "Nautical" Award goes to Coffee and his great sig, for:

scissel (noun) /Skee-sell/

An very large heavy duty auxillary sail used in high winds to increase boat speed sufficiently to permit water skiing.

Arrr...hoist the scissel, I've a hankerin fer some watersports ye scurvy dogs!!!

Yargh...choppy seas be damned, Cap'n, we'll get ye in the air if it be thah last thing we do!

The "Cheesy Scifi" Award goes to xfox, for:

scissel crumpets of knowledge for sale in the genetic engineering marketplace.

Watson bristeled at the thought of losing rights to the junk DNA in his heap and thought, "Those imposters have no right to that scissel!"

Just then, a pair of RoboCops sped around the corner, entangling Watson in their one of their standard bionic SynthWebs. 'Damn', thought Watson, 'that Tertiary Green Fluorescent Protein Intron is as good as taken...'

The "Immensely Confusing" Award goes to Zatoichi, for:

scissel -n A personality type described in the upcoming DSM-XIV manual, referring to the dispassionate, logical, action-oriented type. It's used in distinction to eebret, the flowery, romantic, corpulent type.

And here I was under the notion that eebrets were notorious for their bluntness and existentialist beliefs. I guess my DSM-XIII manual was much more outdated than I'd thought...

The "Mistakenly Credited" Award goes to Master_Jedi, for:

scissel- name. Robert B. Scissel, Author/Word inventor/Philosopher/

Robert Scissel wrote the infamous text Scissellian Theory, where he proposed that we are made up of cell called Scissellulars. Also credited with the invention of the skidmark.

While everyone of importance knows Monsieur Scissel made great strides with his scientific proposal, I'm afraid Munroe Daszkjewicz validated the existence of the skidmark twelve years before any of Scissel's experiments took place. Plagiarism is highly suspected.

The "Claustrophobia" Award goes to daverbee, for:

scissel

A very, very tiny schematic drawing most often found in WWI era submarines where space was at a premium. Each scissel contained complete information on electricals, hydraulics, and plumbing in the submarine on a two by two inch sheet of paper.
As they were so small, early submarines came with one sailor who's job was to do nothing but read the scissels. He was known as the Scisseler. (Pronounced sizzler, like the restaurant only not spelled the same.)

One can only hope the living quarters were not proportionately designed. *Shivers*

The "Most Likely to Become a Catchphrase" Award goes to Hyakujo's Fox, for:

scissel (noun, verb) a small blade used for scraping meat, or the use of such a blade for that purpose.

Yo! Waiter! Get over here and scissel ma gristle!

Foh shizzle, I ain't bout to scissel yoh gristle. Yoh bes' be doin' it yohself. (Thanks for the extra entries, Fox, I can judge 'em seperately, if you want :D )

The "Phonetically Accurate" Award goes to trisherina, for:

scissel: Bavarian endearment for "sharp-tongued mother-in-law."

The judges have a few "scissels" of their own and will relish the covert use of this phrase.

The "Subliminal Message" Award goes to nycwriters, for:

scissel /Siss-sell/

Scissel scisshells by the scisshore

The judges are sure there must be a hidden advert in there somewhere...

The "Not Quite as Subtle as Brynn's Submission (but damn near close)" Award goes to Marcus_Bales, for:

scissel: What slow judges do in Hell.

On the same level reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theater, no doubt.

The "Out of Nowhere" Award goes to dinzdale, for:

scissel n.

Proper name for corduroy running shorts.

The judges were blissfully unaware of the correct term for said clothing, and will make the utmost effort to utilise this term whenever possible.

The "Runner-Up" Award goes to LeahDear, for:

scissel

left handed scissors

The judges loved the phonetic accuracy of this definition, but felt it lacked a certain...nous ne savons quoi.

Aaaannnnnd...the moment you've all be waiting for:

The "Winner" Award goes to 12"razormix, for:

scissel - vulg. sl.

yiddish term for "beautiful girl"

Believable, succint, and amusing. Razor, the judges have voted unanimously for your award, and hereby name you the winner of the longest Dictionary Game in recorded history.

Finally, I'd like to apologize for the length of time it took for me to remember to muster up the courage to judge this competition. I should've read the "3 day duration of rounds" rule before accepting my prize from Marcus, and I hereby promise to check these boards more regularly. Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe I'll go collapse from exhuastion. ;)

Edit: Oops, I seem to have given 12"Razormix two awards. Ah well, keep the first one as a bonus. :rolleyes:

Brynn 01-22-2007 01:57 AM

well done, Tunes - sweet dreams:)