ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

funkytuba 05-12-2008 06:57 PM

Where's the next word, bales?

Brynn 05-12-2008 07:27 PM

yeah, come on - snap to it, buddy! :eek:

(looks at watch)

(taps foot impatiently)

here's a definition to apply to any next random word of your choosing since I've gotta go -

YOUR WORD HERE - an advertising ploy aimed at a specific target audience to induce wide-spread, unspeakable inner panic.

T.I.P. 05-12-2008 09:07 PM

he really is taking his time...i'm almost worried. Has anybody pm'd him ?

Hyakujo's Fox 05-12-2008 09:25 PM

I've PM'd him, but I don't think that should hold anyone else back. ;)

T.I.P. 05-12-2008 09:54 PM

oh definitely, i'm pm'ing him right this minute, and everyone else should too

The more pm's he receives, the greater the sense of urgency that will be conveyed to him next time he logs on, and the faster he will react !

Marcus Bales 05-13-2008 12:19 AM

eleemosynary

Stephi_B 05-13-2008 07:12 AM

eleemosynary n

gobbledegook word for lemonade stand

Had she really thought it would impress anybody when she exclaimed in a very important, slightly hysterical voice: "Oh, you have to know, MY daughter has opened her own ELEEMOSYNARY for the summer months -- the lemonade is made by me of course!"

YsaPur EsChomuw 05-13-2008 09:44 AM

eleemosynary
adj.
advocating drinking parties (eleemosium) which uplift the human spirit to the point of elation.

Captain Coffee’s eleemosynary endeavours were quelled by the rest of the crew after he revealed the only drink to be offered was fermented pulp juice of obscure origin.

funkytuba 05-13-2008 05:38 PM

eleemosynary - holey sock specifically designed such that certain toes stick out

YsaPur EsChomuw 05-13-2008 11:50 PM

eleemosynary
n.
a little-known, but very efficient kind of Roman military. The troop (aka. troupe) of eleemosynaries – traditionally armed with a tin pan – would infiltrate the enemy lines, banging their pans with a stick and crying: ‘Mercy, mercy’ expecting coins and other donations be thrown into their pans. Their fervent activities would annoy the enemy beyond belief, enabling a swift and successful attack of the legionary. Later the eleemosynary disintegrated into another, similarly altruistic formation, the mercenary.

Some politicians prefer using eleemosynaries, who - in the name of their political opponent - ask people for donating money to party activities.

treekisser 05-14-2008 12:52 PM

eleemosynary n. a commonly misspelled word

Despite his covert and illegal use of propiolic substances to enhance memory proficiency and desperate attempts to digest lengthy lists of eleemosynaries while cycling, swimming and running, Marcus failed in his attempt to capture the coveted gold medal in the Ironicman Triathlon Spelling Bee competition when he failed to correctly spell the word "eleemosynary".

xfox 05-17-2008 11:21 AM

eleemosynary person who vacations before the height of the season.

Dorothy rationalized that if there were no eleemosynaries how could anybody get to the resort??

lukkucairi 05-17-2008 03:50 PM

eleemosynary

gothified in the extreme.

brightpearl's new hairdo was exceedingly eleemosynary.

Coffee 05-18-2008 04:21 PM

eleemosynary

Originating from the eastern or lee coast of the Sinai peninsula.

Coffee's extensive research led him to sphagnum bogs of the United Kingdom and the high mountains of Peru in his attempt to find a non-eleemosynary source for his pulp juice stock

Marcus Bales 05-22-2008 11:09 AM

The Boring Old Reality Award goes to Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com) for:

eleemosynary – adjective 1. of or pertaining to alms, charity, or charitable donations; charitable.
2. derived from or provided by charity.
3. dependent on or supported by charity: an eleemosynary educational institution.

The Pretnsion Identification Award, and a brand-new Latin-Greek, Greek-Latin Dictionary, goes to Stephi_B for

eleemosynary n - gobbledegook word for lemonade stand

Had she really thought it would impress anybody when she exclaimed in a very important, slightly hysterical voice: "Oh, you have to know, MY daughter has opened her own ELEEMOSYNARY for the summer months -- the lemonade is made by me of course!"

The Cardinal Puff Award, and a bottle of aspirin, goes to YsaPur EsChomuw for

eleemosynary adj. - advocating drinking parties (eleemosium) which uplift the human spirit to the point of elation.

Captain Coffee’s eleemosynary endeavours were quelled by the rest of the crew after he revealed the only drink to be offered was fermented pulp juice of obscure origin.

The Saul of Tarsals Award, and a map to Damascus, goes to funkytuba for

eleemosynary - holey sock specifically designed such that certain toes stick out

The Chuck Barris Award, and a lifetime subscription to TV Guide, goes to YsaPur EsChomuw for

eleemosynary n.

a little-known, but very efficient kind of Roman military. The troop (aka. troupe) of eleemosynaries – traditionally armed with a tin pan – would infiltrate the enemy lines, banging their pans with a stick and crying: ‘Mercy, mercy’ expecting coins and other donations be thrown into their pans. Their fervent activities would annoy the enemy beyond belief, enabling a swift and successful attack of the legionary. Later the eleemosynary disintegrated into another, similarly altruistic formation, the mercenary.

Some politicians prefer using eleemosynaries, who - in the name of their political opponent - ask people for donating money to party activities.

The Recursion Award, and The Recursion Award, goes to treekisser for

eleemosynary n. a commonly misspelled word

Despite his covert and illegal use of propiolic substances to enhance memory proficiency and desperate attempts to digest lengthy lists of eleemosynaries while cycling, swimming and running, Marcus failed in his attempt to capture the coveted gold medal in the Ironicman Triathlon Spelling Bee competition when he failed to correctly spell the word "eleemosynary".

The Gracie Allen Award, and a big cigar, goes to xfox for

eleemosynary person who vacations before the height of the season.

Dorothy rationalized that if there were no eleemosynaries how could anybody get to the resort??

The New York City Tap Water Award, and a weekend with Brangelina in Namibia, and the Coveted Second Place goes to Coffee for

eleemosynary - Originating from the eastern or lee coast of the Sinai peninsula.

Coffee's extensive research led him to sphagnum bogs of the United Kingdom and the high mountains of Peru in his attempt to find a non-eleemosynary source for his pulp juice stock

The Aleister Crowley Award, a date with Peter Murphy, and the Dreaded First Place, goes to lukkucairi for

eleemosynary

gothified in the extreme.

brightpearl's new hairdo was exceedingly eleemosynary.

Take it Away Lukku!