ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Marcus Bales 10-15-2009 12:20 PM

abarthrosis - the view that any pronoun will do for any gender. C2 arthrosis, the view that every gender deserves its own pronoun.

YsaPur, exercising his gender sensitivity while pushing her own arthrostic agenda, shook its head while castigating Marcus for abarthrosis.

Brynn 10-15-2009 04:00 PM

This is getting too entertaining, so I must put a stop to it with the real definition....where did I put it?

Brynn 10-15-2009 04:55 PM

One dictionary told me to see "diarthrosis"

Anatomy - any freely movable joint, such as the shoulder and hip joints
[New Latin, from di-2 + Greek arthrōsis, from arthroun to fasten by a joint, from arthron joint]

However another defines "abarticulation" as being a joint that's been dislocated, also known as a synovial joint, so we're going to go with that...

I very much liked the definitions that described dangerous maladies and mishaps found in bars (Coffee, Hyakujo's Fox). In a perfect world, you both would win a bottle of Laphroaig 30 in spite of the hazards that drinking it in one sitting might bring on.

trisherina and YsaPur thank you for the wonderful references to the various odiferous delights of the world. Here's the most sensitive nose in the world to help you both through those moments when it's all too much to do your own sniffing. I believe he answers to the name "Smelly."

Marcus Bales, you were right on the money with your delightful examination of the finer points of art criticism, a subject near and dear to the Judge's heart. For that you win the Coveted Second Place Award. As the person with the most entries, you also win these lovely lamb triplets. They'll be shipped sans mere after weaning, of course.

Which leaves us with Madmack's definition:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madmack (Post 416408)
abarthrosis (n) The swelling of small joints, usually the metatarsals, due extreme gripping force over an extended period of time.

Billy was unable to type his essay as his abarthrosis was acting up after a weekend of way too many 'white knuckle' roller-coasters rides.

I was torn, because this is so very close to the actual definition. Still, I found it quite picturesque and clever - well before I saw the real definition, and a careful reading of the original rules reveals that Madmack is within the parameters, so I'm going to say BRAVO! Well done, Madmack, you are the
WINNA !

Madmack 10-16-2009 12:10 AM

Hmm.. I disappear for way too many moons (had nothing to do with silly passwords or anything like that at all.. honest..) and suddenly am forced to pick the new word..?
Me thinks there be some funny business going on in the back rooms here..
But without any further adieu..
Our new word to play with and ponder is..

paradiddle

Now play nicely..

Hyakujo's Fox 10-16-2009 12:56 AM

oh there's always some funny business going on the backrooms, but it has nothing to do with the dictionary game.

paradiddle (v) to urinate from the back of moving speedboat.

The highlight of the weekend's events was the performance of Dwayne and Linda Johansen in the mixed pairs paradiddling.

Marcus Bales 10-16-2009 09:07 AM

Oh YsaPur
why can't you be true?
Oh YsaPur
why can't you be true true true?
You done started back doin'
those things you used to do...

paradiddle - unsuccessful parody

The parodist, we all agree,
avoids the boring middle --
or else instead of parody
he gives us paradiddle.

YsaPur EsChomuw 10-16-2009 09:45 AM

paradiddle - n. the chief cheater

The winner of this year's ParaLimpic Games is none other than our beloved Marquis de Bales, the grandiose paradiddle in the category of incriminating the innocent.

Marcus Bales 10-16-2009 01:47 PM

paradiddle - a report that doesn't quite get the facts right.

Ysapur's paradiddle, though perfectly correct about my glorious victory in the Incriminating The Innocent category, unaccountably neglected to mention my equally glorious victory in the Condescending Correction category!

YsaPur EsChomuw 10-16-2009 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus Bales (Post 416462)
paradiddle - a report that doesn't quite get the facts right.

Ysapur's paradiddle, though perfectly correct about my glorious victory in the Incriminating The Innocent category, unaccountably neglected to mention my equally glorious victory in the Condescending Correction category!

Mea culpa! Due to some inexplicable bout of commiseration* I also forgot to mention your Limp Whimp Award.

*Fortunately it has already passed. :p

Brynn 10-16-2009 06:39 PM

paradiddle - n. (pronounced pa-RAD-di-dull) the menacing trill of a snare drum that mysteriously sounds at each and every depiction of an execution in film.

"Dammit, Emmett, this execution sequence is boring as dishwater," yelled the producer in the editing bay. "What the hell was Radnachuck thinking when he shot this?"
"All we can do is add a paraddidle and see what happens," sighed the sound editor.

Brynn 10-16-2009 06:45 PM

Oh, and a warm welcome back, Madmack :)

If you'd care to declare your gender for me (Marcus and I joined the board well after you and I'm willing to bet he doesn't know either) I at least will do my best to address you appropriately.

Madmack 10-16-2009 06:55 PM

Hey Brynn.. It's nice to be back...
As my daddy said when I was born.. "It's a boy.!"

YsaPur EsChomuw 10-17-2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brynn (Post 416467)
... will do my best to address you appropriately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brynn (Post 416440)
Which leaves us with Madmack's definition: ... ...a careful reading of the original rules reveals that Madmack is within the parameters, so I'm going to say BRAVO! Well done, Madmack, you are theWINNA !

Ooooh, Brynnie, that was smooth! :) I noticed only now that you'd left out the pronouns meticulously.

xfox 10-18-2009 01:53 PM

paradiddle a failing attempt to compose an outstanding paragraph in the shadow of clever and talented writers.

If you keep your paradiddle to yourself, nobody will be the wiser.

Madmack 10-21-2009 12:03 AM

Last call.. I'll hand out the hardware tomorrow....