ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

daverbee 10-04-2005 11:34 AM

here is the definition of patavinity:

Pat`a`vin´i`ty, n.
The use of local or provincial words, as in the peculiar style or diction of Livy, the Roman historian; so called from Patavium, now Padua, the place of Livy's nativity.
Use of a dialect.

Daverbee managed to shock the judges with his definition:

and deserves special mention - the judges would love to know how he came up with this one! ;)

I already knew the definition so I cheated a bit...for that I should be punished by listening to people from the Midwest trying to sound Southern for the next month... :(

Marcus Bales 10-04-2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverbee
here is the definition of patavinity:

Pat`a`vin´i`ty, n.
The use of local or provincial words, as in the peculiar style or diction of Livy, the Roman historian; so called from Patavium, now Padua, the place of Livy's nativity.
Use of a dialect.

Daverbee managed to shock the judges with his definition:

and deserves special mention - the judges would love to know how he came up with this one! ;)

I already knew the definition so I cheated a bit...for that I should be punished by listening to people from the Midwest trying to sound Southern for the next month... :(

Hmm. I think a better punishment would be that you win the dictionary game and have to come up with and judge the next word. So right now you're ahead on points!

heh heh heh

dinzdale 10-04-2005 01:01 PM

rogitate n.

The correct term for "Helicopter Sex", whereby a small lady is rotated on a larger man's tumescence.
It was first invented by Sir Christpher Cockerell and his mistress, but scholars point out that Leonardo Da Vinci had several similar sketches many years in advance of the invention of kinky sex.

Coffee 10-04-2005 02:49 PM

Rogitate:

Inappropriately agreeable while using radio communications.

Example of eggregious Rogitation; "Roger, Roger good buddy, I Roger your 10-20, Roger that".

Brynn 10-05-2005 11:03 PM

rogitate (v.) - this is a nonsense word used in a popular, contemporary jump rope rhyme to indicate that preceding "pepper," the jumper is to turn around mid-jump while tapping one's temple, as in:

Cogitate!
Rogitate!
Cough up all the food you ate!

Cough up bacon!
Cough up beans!
Barf until you hit your teens - DOUBLE PEPPER!
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13(etc.)

glasshouse 10-06-2005 05:40 AM

AMPHIBOLY - A unique form of volleyball played in grassy, outside amphitheatres, naked, with a very low net.

xfox 10-06-2005 11:04 AM

Shall I just go on!?!

rogitate v. When Rogaine drips off the desired location on the body to other unfortunate places and has its usual effect.

Marcus Bales 10-06-2005 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xfox
Shall I just go on!?!

rogitate v. When Rogaine drips off the desired location on the body to other unfortunate places and has its usual effect.

He rogitated Gwynneth Paltrow with a Rogaine squirtgun, resulting in some hurried medical attention.

dddrum 10-06-2005 03:34 PM

rogitate (v.) - to cause a selected body part to spin completely around in a seemingly impossible manner, like Regan's head in The Exorcist, or a Tex Avery eyeball. In the case of the legs and feet, their entirety should describe a wheel-like circle, while making the sound of a buzzsaw (the slide whistly/ricochet exit, called a pi-shew, is an entirely separate maneuver). The tongue, when rogitating, should flap loudly, like a wet windowshade.

12"razormix 10-06-2005 03:42 PM

rogitate, v.

to decorate baked goods with caviar

Marcus Bales 10-07-2005 09:54 AM

The Real Definition: Rogitate - To entreat or ask often.
Are you going to judge the Dictionary Game? Are you? Huh? HUH?

THE I DON'T EVEN WANT TO THINK ABOUT IT AWARD

12"razormix
Rogitate - to revolve violently, turning around in pain

Mr. Lundstrøm had developed bedsores on his elbows from rogitating in his tatty hospital bed ever since the doctor had confined him to indefinite bedrest due to his deteriorating condition.

THE DAVINCI CODE AWARD

Dinzdale
rogitate - The correct term for "Helicopter Sex", whereby a small lady is rotated on a larger man's tumescence. It was first invented by Sir Christpher Cockerell and his mistress, but scholars point out that Leonardo Da Vinci had several similar sketches many years in advance of the invention of kinky sex.

THE YEP YEP THAT'S A GOOD ONE SURE IS YEP YEP AWARD

Coffee
Rogitate - Inappropriately agreeable while using radio communications.

Example of eggregious Rogitation; "Roger, Roger good buddy, I Roger your 10-20, Roger that".

THE I ALWAYS WONDERED WHAT THEY WERE CHANTING AWARD

Brynn
rogitate - this is a nonsense word used in a popular, contemporary jump rope rhyme to indicate that preceding "pepper," the jumper is to turn around mid-jump while tapping one's temple, as in:

Cogitate!
Rogitate!
Cough up all the food you ate!

Cough up bacon!
Cough up beans!
Barf until you hit your teens - DOUBLE PEPPER!
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13(etc.)

THE I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS AWARD

Xfox
rogitate - When Rogaine drips off the desired location on the body to other unfortunate places and has its usual effect.

THE MOST BRILLIANT DESCRIPTION WITHOUT PICTURES AWARD

dddrum
rogitate - to cause a selected body part to spin completely around in a seemingly impossible manner, like Regan's head in The Exorcist, or a Tex Avery eyeball. In the case of the legs and feet, their entirety should describe a wheel-like circle, while making the sound of a buzzsaw (the slide whistly/ricochet exit, called a pi-shew, is an entirely separate maneuver). The tongue, when rogitating, should flap loudly, like a wet windowshade.

THE EW! AWARD

12"razormix
rogitate - to decorate baked goods with caviar

THE COVETED SECOND-PLACE AWARD left to almost last to give Daverbee palpitations and sweats thinking the judge might have been serious that he was ahead on points

Daverbee
rogitate - To mix any two liquid by placing them in a common container in close proximity to a bed being used for passionate sex.

Dinzdale used to mix his after dinner drinks by rogitating the shaker on the bedstand.

AND THE WINNER, for challenging the judge's whimsicality and capriciousness

Glasshouse
AMPHIBOLY - A unique form of volleyball played in grassy, outside amphitheatres, naked, with a very low net.

Welcome to the game, Glasshouse, and take it away!

glasshouse 10-07-2005 07:05 PM

Hi. Kudos to all authors of past definitions. I have laughed out loud more than once while perusing the thread.

Here's the new word:

PLEIOTROPY - The process of plaiting together several different types of thread or cord into a rope of intermediate strength.

Brynn 10-07-2005 08:05 PM

demarche (French) n. decisive step or action, especially diplomatic and initiating new policy.

Hey, glasshouse, what will you give yourself if you win? ;)

funkytuba 10-07-2005 10:33 PM

PLEIOTROPY - a moldable congratulative statue

Marcus Bales 10-08-2005 01:21 AM

pleiotropy - In the ballet, the tendency for all ballerinas to perform the same movement as the lead ballerina.

The pleiotropy of the flock of ballerinas was as astonishing as the synchrony of a school of fish. When Sonja did a plie, there was a wave of bobbing small female bodies around her.