ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

madasacutsnake 01-22-2009 05:00 PM

It's when you listen to the people who know you best and because you did, you get to rock.

brightpearl 01-22-2009 09:40 PM

Magic is a huge disappointment.

MoJoRiSin 01-22-2009 11:26 PM

magic is how the first mother got here
the one with hands for working ; )

Brynn 01-23-2009 06:28 AM

I'll tell you what's magic:

you are the only person awake for miles, watching the sun rise just for you.

you've stared at the throbbing red of a Rothko painting, and then suddenly you fall into it.

an itinerant preacher puts his hands over yours to pray but you fall backwards, seeing a million dancing diamonds of light radiating pure love, and you never hit the floor

you look around the room at some of the beautiful things you have made with your own hands and find nothing there but satisfaction and delight

an icy martini with the perfect balance of vodka, vermouth, and olives

Patty Griffin singing a song about her mom called "Burgundy Shoes"

YsaPur EsChomuw 01-23-2009 11:56 AM

there's no magic, only wishful thinking :(

brightpearl 01-23-2009 12:19 PM

After thinking about it, I have to admit that although nearly every time I have felt something was magic, it has turned out to be my imagination, there was this one time that I can't explain.

I guess to be entirely accurate I have to say I am still collecting data.

Anna 01-23-2009 02:58 PM

it's a secret

β cyg 01-24-2009 03:14 PM

how would you describe your handwriting and how do you feel towards your handwriting ?

MoJoRiSin 01-24-2009 03:21 PM

mo's handqriting is big and curly

how do i feel about it?
"the three stooges"
pops into my head
for some reason ~"~

β cyg 01-24-2009 03:30 PM

haha you're funny aunt mo! i could have guessed you'd do big & curly stuff and i bet you dot your i's with little circles

i wonder what the three stooges are and if anyone else will feel that way about their handwriting

Stephi_B 01-24-2009 03:55 PM

curvy, slightly chaotic, ever a-changing

fine (since 1990 when I stopped getting grades for it in school, bad grades, C- like) for it fits me ;)

YsaPur EsChomuw 01-24-2009 03:57 PM

unreadable
I feel unhappy about it

In my country people use cursive characters, and so did I, until it became unreadable. Then I switched to print characters and the same thing happened. Now I use block capital letters when I want somebody to decipher my messages.

Coffee 01-24-2009 04:19 PM

^^^same...but i never could write in cursive, nor could i fluently read it...esp. the curly loopy kind, or, god forbid, the "writes in cursive cuz it is fast, and you should be able to read it regardless" kind :( .
I "print" when i write, and I'm afraid i mix cases at times, and my semi-dyslexia causes lots of scratched out characters and/or multi lined letters to cover over the "wrong letter".

I hate writing by hand. :(

Oh, and i should add: I nearly flunked high school english because of my dislike of writing by hand, and my disdain for knowing what the parts of a sentance were. When I got to college level english classes (which coincided with the availablity of home computers) I was placed into English 1A and I got all As for grades...it wasn't me, it was the ****ing pencil.

Brynn 01-25-2009 02:32 AM

Mine is a combination of sharp angularities, points, and waves. It's legible, and I like it very much. I like writing by hand, but the pen - the ink, the way it flows out of the pen and whether or not it has a pleasing ratio of "scratch" to "flow" on the sheet of the paper, has to be perfect.
I like getting hand-written letters.

Jack Flanders 01-25-2009 02:50 AM

all upper-case architectural: fun, fast and professional. my cursive for check writing is almost a flat line: boring, fast and legal.

Odbe 01-25-2009 03:42 AM

I have a handwriting for when people have to read it that isn't extremely tidy but it's okay. I feel okay about it; it's not specially distinctive but it's mine.
Then I have an unreadable scrawl for my personal notes. It's like a secret code.

lukkucairi 01-26-2009 04:19 PM

it is highly indicative of my mood and mind-state at the time

I don't mind it.

12"razormix 01-26-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by β cyg (Post 405337)

how would you describe your handwriting and how do you feel towards your handwriting ?

what are you doing up at this ungodly hour??? :mad: :mad:

β cyg 01-26-2009 05:27 PM

haha momma you look funny when you're angry and upside down!!

zero 01-26-2009 05:31 PM

watch your language there, wee rascal! :mad: :mad: can't you see how upset yo momma is?! :reallyangryface:

madasacutsnake 01-26-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12"razormix (Post 405467)

I'm going to explain the audit process in words of one syllable to some-one who thinks quantative scores don't mean anything. Then, I'll come home and think about drinking lots of wine.

12"razormix 01-26-2009 05:32 PM

^^ i wish i had your way with words! :o

12"razormix 01-26-2009 05:34 PM

^ THAT was for the old bampot on the previous page ( just to avoid awkward ness and misunderstandings )

( and a broken nose maybe )

( you never know )

madasacutsnake 01-26-2009 05:38 PM

No broken noses for those who can trend.

zero 01-26-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

i'm having a "disturbing" dream. so SHUT UP

(it's a great one, all full of munchkins etc., and it'll be at least about a thousand words long when i make write it up later you'll think me highly complex & interesting when you read it, so you will.

treekisser 01-26-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

What makes an hour "ungodly"?

Anna 01-26-2009 06:57 PM

THE GHOULS

The gruesome ghoul, the grisly ghoul, without the slightest noise
waits patiently beside the school to feast on girls and boys.

He lunges fiercely through the air as they come out to play,
then grabs a couple by the hair and drags them far away.

He cracks their bones and snaps their backs and squeezes out their lungs,
he chews their thumbs like candy snacks and pulls apart their tongues.

He slices their stomachs and bites their hearts and tears their flesh to shreds,
he swallows their toes like toasted tarts and gobbles down their heads.

Fingers, elbows, hands and knees and arms and legs and feet -
he eats them with delight and ease, for every part's a treat.

And when the gruesome, grisly ghoul has nothing left to chew,
he hurries to another school and waits...perhaps for you.

Brynn 01-27-2009 10:03 PM

an ungodly hour is any hour that you must wake upon when you have had less than your full measure of sleep.

lukkucairi 01-28-2009 08:23 AM

this is a goddamn ungodly hour :(

(at least it is in MST - 04:23?!)

xfox 01-28-2009 12:03 PM

Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

treekisser 01-28-2009 12:28 PM

What is a godly hour?

zero 01-28-2009 12:35 PM

TEATIME

Stephi_B 01-28-2009 01:04 PM

^yes!!

& the blue hour,
particularly the one in the morning and on a Sunday

& the time in the evening
(which can vary objectively, but is a constant for me),
on the train back to civilisation,
when I can see my Fernsehturm for the first again since I left for work

Coffee 01-28-2009 01:18 PM

An hour wasted.

12"razormix 01-28-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brynn (Post 405545)
an ungodly hour is any hour that you must wake upon when you have had less than your full measure of seep

^ exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by treekisser (Post 405586)
What is a godly hour?

every minute spent with your best friend

zero 01-28-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by treekisser (Post 405586)
What is a godly hour?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12"razormix (Post 405598)
every minute spent with your best friend

lukkucairi 01-29-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zero (Post 405587)
TEATIME

oh jesus christ on a melting rubber crutch, yes.

especially with Trevor and PG Tips.

very godly

wouldn't do without.

Jack Flanders 01-29-2009 02:40 AM

... on your knees - weeding with nobody nearby to bother you.

zero 01-29-2009 06:07 AM

QOTD

Do You Talk Too Much?
by Marty Nemko

Blah-blah, blah-blah, blah-blah, blah.

Ever listen to someone who, long after you’ve spaced out, continued to blab on? What did you think of that person? Probably self-absorbed and interpersonally clueless. Being long-winded is a sure route to career failure, indeed life failure.

Of course, no one thinks they’re perceived as talking too much, otherwise they wouldn’t do it. But without realizing it, could you be one of those irritating people?

True Or False:

1. You think of yourself as a talker rather than a listener.

2. In conversation, your utterances frequently exceed one minute in length. (This is the most important indicator that you talk too much.)

3. You are able to come up with many ideas on the fly, so you want to express them all in one fell swoop.

4. You’re detail-oriented. People who are detail-oriented often include details that seem important to them but bore the pants off the typical listener.

5. People at their workspaces tend to look away from you when you walk by. (They’re afraid you’ll come over and bend their ear for 10 minutes.)

6. The people who know you best have called you self-absorbed, narcissistic, oblivious, selfish, or egocentric. A conversation is about sharing and paying attention to your conversation partner’s needs.

7. You don’t stay alert for a sign that your listener wishes you’d shut up: eyes wandering more than 1/3 of the time (or the opposite, staring frozen at you), finger or toe tapping, frequently interrupting you, a body position that suggests the person is trying to get away from you, frequently saying “uh-huh” as if urging you to get on with it. Yes, some listeners are impatient by nature, but if you observe such reactions from more than one-fourth of the people you converse with, the problem is more likely you.

The more times you answered “true” to those six questions, the more you need to follow The Traffic Light rule of thumb: During the first 30 seconds of an utterance, your light is green: your listener is probably paying attention. During the second 30 seconds, your light is yellow—your listener may be starting to wish you’d finish. After the one-minute mark, your light is red: Yes, there are rare times you should “run a red light:” when your listener is obviously fully engaged in your missive. But usually, when an utterance exceeds one minute, with each passing second, you increase the risk of boring your listener and having them think of you as a chatterbox, windbag, or blowhard.

How do you ensure you’re seen as interesting not annoying? Try these:

1. As you’re talking, keep asking yourself, “Does this detail risk boring my listener, risk your being thought of as the King or Queen of Hot Air?

2. Unless you’re saying something you know deserves more than a minute, at the 30-second mark, look for a place to stop. If your listener wants more, he or she can ask a question. She rarely will. Try it and see.

What if you’re saying something that requires more than a minute? Break it up into segments, and after each segment, ask something like, “What do you think of that?” or “Am I being clear? Really?” The “really” is important because it lets the listener know that your request is not gratuitous: you really want that question or comment

3. Be alert to your listener’s non-verbal cues, especially as your utterance passes the 30-second mark. Does your listener seem fully engaged?

Remember, anyone who cares about other people must make them part of a conversation. And if you tend to be selfish, know that you’ll get more of what you want if you trade in your talk-talk-talk self for someone who truly listens as much as he or she talks.
Lest I be accused of not practicing what I preach, I’m going to stop this column right here. Anyone wish I prattled on?

DO YOU TALK TOO MUCH?

Anna 01-29-2009 06:18 AM

do I?