ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FAST CHAT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ¿ question of the day ? (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=12191)

Marcus Bales 05-14-2009 09:27 AM

Fred, Wilma, Barney, Betty, Pebbles, Dino, and Bam-Bam

Marcus Bales 05-14-2009 09:32 AM

Sleazy, Creepy, Sappy, Gropey, Dumpy, Rashful, and Jock

Marcus Bales 05-14-2009 09:36 AM

Jonny, Scooby, Barney, Stimpy, Beavis, Pinky, and Brain

trisherina 05-14-2009 09:41 AM

Dickweed!

12"razormix 05-14-2009 02:08 PM

marie augustine

Coffee 05-14-2009 03:44 PM

Hoss

12"razormix 05-14-2009 04:44 PM

^ :) i like that!

zero 05-14-2009 05:20 PM

what about my one?

Marcus Bales 05-14-2009 08:25 PM

[zefrank board member name redacted], [zefrank board member name redacted], [zefrank board member name redacted], [zefrank board member name redacted], [zefrank board member name redacted], [zefrank board member name redacted], and [zefrank board member name redacted].

Stephi_B 05-15-2009 03:47 PM

>>new>> Q:

Do you know about this? Will you watch it tomorrow? Why?! And what do you think how much the Germanies will suck at it this year?

Me:
Yes. I fear so, yes. Nostalgia (it was THE television event for me as a kid, OK I figure also it was a lot better then in the 80s and we only had 5 channels back then), to see the cool-sweet host country clips, to see+hear the few good ones, to see+hear the Germanies suck with my own eyes+ears, to see+hear others suck more (haha :p), to fall aseep somewhen in the middle of the show, to call for Turkey and the few good ones, to get pissed about the point distribution (and no the new old rules won't help, the point distribution ALWAYS sucked, even in the 80s), to love Turkey for their friendship points, to feel big Europeas love and less embarrassment for the Germanies' contribution in the end ;). Very (only very because of the burlesque lady they engaged and not veryveryvery like last year).

zero 05-15-2009 04:28 PM

no - cannie be doing with that pantomime and always go outside to the woods when it comes on saying "tell me when it's finished"

YsaPur EsChomuw 05-15-2009 04:59 PM

Unfortunately when I switch on the telly I fall asleep within 5 minutes. The reason remains a mystery to me; since I drift off even when I'm interested in what I'm um... not-watching.

madasacutsnake 05-15-2009 07:54 PM

There can only be one answer to this.

"Take you from behind" with hands on butt.

Frieda 05-15-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephi_B (Post 411002)
>>new>> Q:

Do you know about this? Will you watch it tomorrow? Why?! And what do you think how much the Germanies will suck at it this year?

yes
no
because it SUCKS :D
not as bad as we sucked at it anyway, we didn't make it to the final.

Hyakujo's Fox 05-16-2009 06:32 AM

the tension is very building, but no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madasacutsnake (Post 411049)

"Take you from behind" with hands on butt.

I don't think I ever really listened to those lyrics before.

Stephi_B 05-16-2009 04:32 PM

I'd like to change my prediction to veryvery as already Lithuania and Israel were good, France wow :), Sweden.... well Swedish and Croatia full of heart etc ;)

And with respect to lyrics I'd only like to say: Lady Kiss Kiss Bang (oi....)

Stephi_B 05-16-2009 04:45 PM

& my Annika does not need to feel embarrassed in her Portugals & Greece SUCKS & Armenia makes me dance :D

After I successfully had fallen aseep: our song+performance successfully SUCKED :o:D; my SMS goes to France and that was it.

Dammit, also Armenia, Estonia, Russia, Turkey and UK got one.

Brynn 05-16-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madasacutsnake (Post 411049)

The answer is that the costume design choices won't make any sense at all until the skirts come off.

madasacutsnake 05-16-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyakujo's Fox (Post 411072)

I don't think I ever really listened to those lyrics before.

"If you believe that our love can hit the top, you have to play around"

MoJoRiSin 05-16-2009 11:54 PM

and the winner is

also should be posting this under
"post something that made you laugh today"
well, a chuckle or two anyway ....:)

for real this time
mañana

Stephi_B 05-17-2009 07:05 AM

I knew it, ALL of you watched it :p;)

^same procedure as every year (except when Lordi won), I don't get the first place (OK that boy's a cutie, if I were <= 12 y/o I would've voted Norway, ah oh now I get it.... for this time, at least), neither do I get the second or third this time.... ach *feels big love* for all Europeas - who, in majority, have either no music taste whatever (and thus even gave us some points) or were out in the woods yesternight :)

zero 05-18-2009 08:10 AM

NEW!Q
knots - know how to tie any/many by heart? which ones? when/why did you learn them?

Stephi_B 05-18-2009 08:58 AM

Although knots fascinate me veryvery I did not learn any new ones since the shoe tying instructions back then (I still apply the double knot for reasons of safety against looseness).
Stepfather #1 (a hunter, fisher and traveler of 5 continents and thus knowing not only about knots) unfruitfully tried to teach me more knots, but I forgot them, even their names and uses ere I knew. Then our vice-boss (who might know about most things which one can know about but does not behave such and although having no time likes to sail) tried to teach me the perfect knot (it had a name which I forgot ere I knew it) to fix a hammock on a tree stem - same result. I'd need a knot book and be on my own and have all the time of the world, and then only maybe I might learn....

Coffee 05-18-2009 01:59 PM

Bowlin, Cleat, Half hitch, Anchor Hitch, Reef/Square, Figure 8 Stopper, a quick release knot that will hold under huge loads that I invented myself (i call it a [myname]knot), and the Hangman's noose.

first seven cuz i live on a sail boat and they get used all over it...last one just for fun as i've never had an actual use for it.

lukkucairi 05-18-2009 02:03 PM

I know how to tie a self-tightening knot that's proof against high winds...that's the fanciest one.

I can tie a bow and a granny knot and a half hitch, and a variety of knots whose names I don't know.

I have been shown multiple times how to tie a bowline but I still can't retain the how :o

Brynn 05-18-2009 04:45 PM

I know how to artfully knot my scarves.

And I can crochet, which is really just knotting things with a hook.

But if you asked me to tie up that rowboat to the dock, or hang the tire swing from a tree, you'd better double-and-triple-check it.

I was just discussing the art of tying knots last night with my sons. Apparently they are scarred from their Boy Scouting experiences because that's all they ever did - no camping, no base jumping, no playing with fire or tracking animals through the woods in order to eat them. They just sat around and tied knots all evening while volunteer dads smoked crack, criticized them and beat the tar out of them.

MoJoRiSin 05-18-2009 08:44 PM

my husband loves learning and tying knots
he knots lots and lots ;)

well i meant knows lots and lots :D

i have learned a slew of knots over the years but that sort of stuff doesn't stick in my mind at all

I know how to tie a double fisherman's knot
or something like it used for a boot lace bracelet sort of thing
and a square knot that's about it

oh i forgot to answer part of the question
my father taught me the square knot and fisherman's knot then my husband taught me the bracelet knot when my daughter was 5 or 6 for obvious
beading reasons

trisherina 05-19-2009 01:46 AM

I like knots but like tech instructions they evaporate like sizzlings on hot pavement. I can do a square knot and otherwise, we use chocks. :)

Hyakujo's Fox 05-19-2009 02:04 AM

Well there's the double windsor, whatever knot it is I use to tie my shoes, and various mental knots.

I can still remember the first time I got the shoelace knot. It was done on some cardboard with holes in it, featuring a picture of a shoe so the holes were where they should be and a bright red lace. After numerous attempts I finally managed to get a very loose and precarious arrangement that looked right, so with great trepidation I slowly pulled to see if would tighten or dissolve like my previous attempts. Like a miracle it held. No one else seemed to grasp the magnitude of what had just occurred. People are like that.

Brynn 05-19-2009 03:39 AM

After all these years, I think you deserve a very hearty - and grossly belated - pat on the back for that, dear Hfox. Well done!

Hyakujo's Fox 05-19-2009 05:15 AM

Thank You Mrs Brynn. :)

Odbe 05-19-2009 06:44 AM

When I was a kid I used to find lists of knots and how to tie them in encyclopedias and copy them with a bit of string, but I've only ever remembered a few useful ones. Whenever I tie them I make up an impressive technical-sounding name, unless I'm with someone who did Scouts as a kid.

I know this one that ties onto something and doesn't come loose or tighten no matter how hard you pull on it, but with two hands you can adjust the size of the loop, and hence the length of the line bit. If your arm happens to be the thing it's attached to you'll probably only have one hand to pull at it with so you'll be in a bit of a pickle. I haven't found much of a use for it, but it looks clever.

I can also tie a sheet bend which ties two ropes/scarves/dog leads together even if they're different widths, and looks like it should come straight undone but hasn't so far. I remember it because I always end up needing it if I don't.

Lukku - the bowline one always eludes me. I remember how to tie it but always manage to put one bit under when it should have gone over and make a bung job of it. Every diagram seems to have a different opinion and it's made me think it's more trouble than it's worth.

All of those knots I got out of books. The only ones I remember being taught are my shoelaces knot and a bloodknot.

The bloodknot is a fishing knot and probably isn't spelled like that. I learned it in grade 6 when I elected to go fishing for weekly sport time. The teacher first made it clear that he would not stoop to tying anyone's hooks on their lines for them, then made the class learn and practice the knot over and over so they'd never forget it. So far this has turned out to be true, like some of the other things that teacher said. I haven't tied any hooks onto fishing lines since, but I have remembered the knot.

zero 05-19-2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by li'l be
... the bowline one always eludes me ...

the rabbit comes out of the hole, goes round the tree and goes back down the hole

(i had a highly-decorated and glittering boyscout career)

Coffee 05-19-2009 11:07 AM

^^^ I could never remember that rabbit and tree thingy...someone showed me a way to tie a bowlin that involves twisting your wrist to create the initial loop, then flip the free end around the long end and pulling it back thru the loop. I do it with my eyes closed cuz it always looks wrong when my eyes are open...but works.

Oh...also...trucker's hitch...a wonderful knot to secure a load. Lets u double your pulling force to tighten a load down.

lukkucairi 05-19-2009 11:20 AM

^ ya, the rabbit thing never makes any sense to me :p

if I still lived where I had to tie up a boat fairly often I'd remember it though

QOTD20090519

how do you remember number strings, like phone numbers or addresses?

zero 05-19-2009 11:31 AM

who can be arsed with that palaver? when i need one i just make it up.

Frieda 05-19-2009 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukkucairi (Post 411206)

QOTD20090519

how do you remember number strings, like phone numbers or addresses?

my phone remembers them for me
for pincodes, i memorize the movement of my hand

so complicated

brightpearl 05-19-2009 02:37 PM

I look for patterns...like if the number is

364-1573

I remember 3,4,5 are in sequence, alternating with 6+1=7, and the first and last numbers are bookends. It's silly and cumbersome, but I guess that's how my brain is. :D

Stephi_B 05-19-2009 05:08 PM

pin codes, phone numbers and such mostly manual (the more often I've really typed in a number the better I can memorise it, independent how long it is); house numbers, postal codes, birthdays I remember associative somehow (in connection with a feeling, a name, or as a kind of melody - just like I memorised nature constants and the periodic system of elements btw)

madasacutsnake 05-19-2009 07:11 PM

3456 7891 = 34 56 78 91

Addresses and such like by association. Halifax, Yorkshire by thinking of Titanic victims buried in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I find it difficult to remember people's names, even if I've known them for years. I avoid calling people by name.