ZEFRANK.COM - message board

ZEFRANK.COM - message board (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/index.php)
-   FICTION PROJECT (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The Dictionary Game (http://www.zefrank.com/bulletin_new/showthread.php?t=7884)

Coffee 03-23-2007 11:22 AM

Lovely so far...except for You Know Who's submission. :(
But a regular or 12 have not submitted defs yet...so I'll hold off judging for just a bit longer. Judging will be later at some unspecified day in the not so distant future, or not.

Marcus Bales 03-23-2007 12:02 PM

scud - With his usual straight-faced sangfroid, Funky has gotten the definition wrong, again. As everyone knows, a scud is the person who, made to sit in front of the class wearing nothing but a brassiere and jockstrap the sadistic bastard teacher keeps in his bottom drawer for just such an occasion, enjoys it.

12"razormix 03-23-2007 01:58 PM

scud - irony for the poor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia (excerpt)

... There are different kinds of irony. For example:

Tragic (or dramatic) irony occurs when a character onstage is ignorant, but the audience watching knows his or her eventual fate, as in Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet.
Socratic irony takes place when someone (classically a teacher) pretends to be foolish or ignorant, in order to expose the ignorance of another (and the teaching-audience, but not the student-victim, realizes the teacher's ploy).
Cosmic irony is a sharp incongruity between our expectation of an outcome and what actually occurs.

Ironically, the majority of people will not notice this irony on a day to day basis ...

... but now there's "SCUD!" a concise, easily digestible to the "i don't know it so am goanna hate it redneck" magazine, featuring nothing but rubbish, mother-in-law jokes and scathing criticism of celebrity weddings, including a high-carb, low-calorie recipe in each issue.

Marcus Bales 03-24-2007 11:57 AM

scud - The technical term for that stuff that drips off a McDonald's double cheeseburger.

Grinning widely at the opportunity, showing his mouth already full of whitish-yellow dough, grey meat, and yellow cheese-product, Mumbles eagerly licked the paper wrapping to get the scud.

lostsadie 03-24-2007 02:53 PM

Scud quick shuffling movement; usually in an attempt to vacate an area with out drawing attention to one's self.

Jimmy after having used his mothers favorite plastic Barbie-like-doll with the elaborate crochet dress for his chosen project of seeing what the actual effects a bottle rocket; tied to some thing and let go, will do...cringed when his Mother looked on top of her china cabinet and noticed it missing. As he scudded out of he room he prayed that she would think his four year old sister Lily was the culprit.

Brynn 03-25-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee (Post 337987)
Lovely so far...except for You Know Who's submission. :(

Ahoy there! Here are the smiley's I neglected to add :) :) :) didn't mean to muddy the waters, Captain! I spotted a winner and couldn't compete, that's all:D

Marcus Bales 03-25-2007 08:54 AM

scud - the uncompeting entries after a spotted winner.

The spotted winner appeared suddenly, leaving a cloud of scud settling behind it.

Odbe 03-27-2007 02:20 AM

scud, spotted The spotted scud lives in the deep in uncharted threads where its spots are used as camoflauge. Its main predator is the spotted winner.

Coffee 03-27-2007 11:20 AM

Judging will commence soon...soon as I get some time to do a proper judging that is.

Apologetics for the delay...work has been creeping into my evenings and weekends lately.

Or...i could Dinz style judge if y'all wish to move on to a new word. Let me know.

Marcus Bales 03-27-2007 11:43 AM

scud -- Dinz-style judging

Coffee 03-29-2007 12:41 AM

Finally, the judging!!!

Thanks to all who posted entries for scud:
The real definition according to the "At Sea Glossary"
scud
To run before the wind in a storm.

I am arbitrarilly disqualifying anything that is related to "cud" cuz it was just too obvious a link to make...sorries to Madmack:

Scud: A dyslexic colloquialism for multiple regurgitated, partially digested foods generally found in ruminants, and some circus performers.

So 'thar we was just quiet like, chawing on our scuds, when outta nowheres, In come the bearded lady and the lion tamer

and Hyakujo's fox:
Hyakujo's Fox:
scud - a delicacy in some parts consisting of the dried semi-chewed cud of a camel, dipped in honey.

================================================== =====

Also disqualified yet again for multiple unrelated entries M. Bales yet again unsuccessfully shotguns a Coffee round with 6 entries...regrettable since his first "mallwalker" entry would have won the round had it not been for "all the others". Perhaps one day when I am judging a round M. Bales will remember that I have ALWAYS disqualified him for massively multiple entries. But thanks anyhoo for entering the following bird-shot round of posts:

scud -- a mallwalker turned browser who never buys anything but who asks interminable questions of the staffs of the stores; a timewaster.

"The important thing in retail sales is to learn to tell the difference between the real prospects and the scuds ..." -- Retail Sales for the Professional, Robert Closer, 1977, Bantam Books

scud - a donut that's been on the ground fewer than five seconds -- whoever shouts "Scud!" first gets it.

"Scud!" shouted Dinz at the Zefrank party, and grabbed the donut and took an enormous bite. Trish looked away, muttering "That donut wasn't chocolate-covered when it left the table...."

scud - With his usual straight-faced sangfroid, Funky has gotten the definition wrong, again. As everyone knows, a scud is the person who, made to sit in front of the class wearing nothing but a brassiere and jockstrap the sadistic bastard teacher keeps in his bottom drawer for just such an occasion, enjoys it.

scud - The technical term for that stuff that drips off a McDonald's double cheeseburger.

Grinning widely at the opportunity, showing his mouth already full of whitish-yellow dough, grey meat, and yellow cheese-product, Mumbles eagerly licked the paper wrapping to get the scud.

scud - the uncompeting entries after a spotted winner.

The spotted winner appeared suddenly, leaving a cloud of scud settling behind it.

scud -- Dinz-style judging

Daverbee wins a Betty-Jo Crocker cookbook and a Coleman camp stove for:
Scud

Refried potatoes. Usually served in hobo camps by hobos who are too drunk to fry them right the first time.

xfox receives high marks for a plausible and knowlegable (or well researched) definition appealing to known nautical preferences of the judge, but loses for the suggestion that anyone in their right mind would consider owning and repairing and repairing and repairing and repairing a wooden sailboat..omg...are you crazy?! :eek

scud: heavy duty frim, often seen in flatfish class sloops, which never need caulking with a mallet and tar from the outside, since scud impacts through the planks from the inside. Very cool stuff, if you can get it.

trisherina wins the optimus ritus latin decertatio award for:

scud:From sancerre conversiad uxortium diacrit, A conversational pattern wherein two people interacting with a third speak so loudly over one another that the meaning of neither's joke can be discerned; always followed by awkward laughter and tennis-match head-swiveling as everyone looks around for cues.

Bman wins a Footnote blue star by failing to provide a definition and instead submiting a "reference" and thus loses with:
scud: see scum and/or crud

Brynn is sadly struck down for obvious and affectionate pandering to the judge, while at the same time confusing him and flattering him all the while attempting to discredit by overly crediting a fine entry by xfox...and futher disqualifies herself due to the arbitrary afore mentioned Cud Rule with a second entry with a reference to Cud/bovine vomitus: (but thanks for refering to me as "sweet"...*smooches* and better luck next time with a definition which hopefully stands on it's own two feet instead of stepping on another entrant's toes :p )

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfox

scud heavy duty frim, often seen in flatfish class sloops, which never need caulking with a mallet and tar from the outside, since scud impacts through the planks from the inside. Very cool stuff, if you can get it.
scud - (slang) 1. obvious and affectionate pandering to the judge. 2. the act of pointing out obvious and affectionate pandering to judges and contestants in a bald attempt to skew results. 3. causing the judge enough mild existential angst to hesitate momentarily over a definition that he had no intention of choosing as winner before awarding the prize to another more deserving (and perhaps pandering) definition (after fighting off the impulse either to appear impervious to suggestion or to ignore it altogether in an attempt to appear impartial to himself).

Xfox scudded her way to a Dictionary Game victory, in spite of Brynn's obvious attempts to scud her entry in the eyes of a sweetly scuddable judge.

"scud" - a phrase uttered laconically by cowboys upon encountering vomitus from bovines.

Tragically, I didn't get the irony here, but suspect that you all know my eventual fate for awarding 12"razormix the Wikipedia TMI award for:

scud - irony for the poor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia (excerpt)

... There are different kinds of irony. For example:

Tragic (or dramatic) irony occurs when a character onstage is ignorant, but the audience watching knows his or her eventual fate, as in Shakespeare’s play Romeo and Juliet.
Socratic irony takes place when someone (classically a teacher) pretends to be foolish or ignorant, in order to expose the ignorance of another (and the teaching-audience, but not the student-victim, realizes the teacher's ploy).
Cosmic irony is a sharp incongruity between our expectation of an outcome and what actually occurs.
Ironically, the majority of people will not notice this irony on a day to day basis ...

... but now there's "SCUD!" a concise, easily digestible to the "i don't know it so am goanna hate it redneck" magazine, featuring nothing but rubbish, mother-in-law jokes and scathing criticism of celebrity weddings, including a high-carb, low-calorie recipe in each issue.

Winning the R. Ballard and J. Cousteou deep diving trophy is Odbe for this fine nautical-esque entry:

scud, spotted The spotted scud lives in the deep in uncharted threads where its spots are used as camoflauge. Its main predator is the spotted winner.

Funkytuba is awarded the Take That Dinzdale You Crappy Judge conical hat of dubious honor and 3rd place for:

scud - a term describing the realization that happens when you think you know what a term means but in fact you have no clue and that fact is proven to you in as humiliating way possible.

While studying the Tufted Titmouse, Schoolboy Dinzdale walked up to the schoolmaster teaching avian taxonomy and said "nice tits", whereupon said schoolmaster gave him a scud by making him spend the rest of class sitting up front on the dunce stool wearing nothing but a brassiere and jockstrap the sadistic teacher bastard kept in his bottom drawer for just such an occasion.

Professor and ex-schoolboy Dinzdale takes second place (but receives no award cuz he IS a crappy judge) with this graphically funny and informative entry:

scud n.

The resultant brown streak found in underpants after a singularly horrendously loud, violent and explosive flatulent emission of intestinal gas (a.k.a a ripsnorter). It differs from a skiddie, which is the birthmark left by insufficient wiping of the ringpiece, in that it is partially burnt cotton or other fabric, and as a result it irremovable by detergent cleaning. Kex that contain scuds must be disposed of by incineration or burial at sea.

If that's not left a scud, I'll eat my head - Uriah Heep (C.Dickens)

Our winner and Chooser of the next word is lostsadie with this very plausible entry (somewhat related to the running before a storm concept of the actual definition) which caused the judge to reminisce fondly about his own experiments as a child with amateur rocketry with:

Scud quick shuffling movement; usually in an attempt to vacate an area with out drawing attention to one's self.

Jimmy after having used his mothers favorite plastic Barbie-like-doll with the elaborate crochet dress for his chosen project of seeing what the actual effects a bottle rocket; tied to some thing and let go, will do...cringed when his Mother looked on top of her china cabinet and noticed it.

lostsadie 03-30-2007 10:08 AM

Ah, well claps for me...

Bow, curtsy bow, um thank ye.

the next word shall be:

Knurly

daverbee 03-30-2007 11:36 AM

Knurly

Old Scots term for something really, really cool.

Ewan! Did ye see wha' Angus hae duin? I werena catchin' aesome waff so I paidelt back inta shuir. The great bastart caught hissel a quite knurly waff the meenit me feet hit tha strand!

Marcus Bales 03-30-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffee (Post 338405)
Also disqualified yet again for multiple unrelated entries M. Bales yet again unsuccessfully shotguns a Coffee round with 6 entries...regrettable since his first "mallwalker" entry would have won the round had it not been for "all the others". Perhaps one day when I am judging a round M. Bales will remember that I have ALWAYS disqualified him for massively multiple entries.

Whew!

Knurly - the quality of being hard to pick up, as a fragment of wood in shag carpeting with a vacuum cleaner, or a Nolan sister in a bar with a Dinz.

T.I.P. 03-30-2007 12:51 PM

knurly (adj.) - tending to become rough and convoluted because of repeated exposure to the elements.

After six weeks on the island he bore a scraggly beard and knurly hair.