View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 04:21 PM   #16
Frieda
in limbo

Quote:
Originally posted by catbelly
LOL zen I am sending out a telepathic signal to all my "oriental" relatives to follow you around on the highway

Seriously, though. I really hate that statements like that can just pass by without comment here at this board. I know not everyone feels like that, and I do recognize the people here who stand up to racist bullshit ... it just grosses me out to see comments like that and no reaction whatsoever. It makes me feel like racism is supported here, and that makes me uncomfortable even being here. I would really like to know what Ze thinks about this, actually.

FWIW I think MoN's post about stereotyping older drivers as being shitty was right on. Of course if someone's physical capabilities prevent them from driving properly / well, they should not be able to have a license. Of course people's capabilities deteriorate with age. It's not a given, though, that people's capabilities deteriorate at the same rate, some people's capabilities that affect driving may not deteriorate at all.
ze only jumps in if things go too far, he usually just lets us be us and sort it out ourselves.

personally, i don't think the comment on oriental drivers was meant literally. if it was, then so be it, it's an opinion that i don't share and it tells me more about the owner of that opinion than about oriental driving styles.

yeah, racism sucks. but still, i think that this comment was made to make fun of stereotypes and because MoN "defended" older drivers.

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote