Thread: LOOK AT ME
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #20
Peregrine
Bird of Prey

About a half a klick from here, there's a pedestrian overpass spanning over a four lane highway. The whole thing is surrounded by fencing, to make a sort of protective cage. A couple years ago, on election day as it happens, the highway was blocked off, and the police set up detours off the highway because some guy decided to climb up on top of the cage. When I saw him, I thought it was a jumper.

But it turns out that it was a guy who was denied custody of his children by the provincial court. He picketed outside the provincial building years back, for months at a time. But I guess he lost his appeal or something, and decided one day to climb up on top of the overpass with his little picket sign as a way of protest.

That's what I thought of when I saw the picture. A woman standing on top of a phone booth without any pants on for some unknown reason. Maybe she was protesting something. I don't go to protests myself very often, but when I do, I usually keep my pants on, but still, that could be the case here. I certainly didn't think that she was on drugs, or mentally disturbed. Although that could be the case.

It is what it is. And so is whatever reaction we happen to have towards it. Amusement, confusion, compassion, pity... whatever. It is what it is, and that's really all I can think of to say about it.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote