monkey

TM

Do you have PM capability?
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #47
Tennessee Man
monkey

NWM

Yes, but problem there also. Check your gmail email acct, you've got mail.

Tennessee Man
Tennessee Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #48
zefrank
-------------

it seems to me that above all this is not an issue of newness or of seniority, but one of political affiliation and viewpoint.

the new block of members seem to bring with them a conservative world view at a scale which has yet to be seen on this board.

discussion of current of events can mean many things, but it rarely means actual discussion - more often it means a regurgitation of shared viewpoints - something i am sure this board has been guilty of as well.

this is the challenge we face right now, not only here but in the rest of the country: the fracturing of opinion into small and clustered spin cycles.

i am willing to have a forum that has varied and strong viewpoints, but only as long as it doesn't become a pissing ground: a place where people plant extreme viewpoints only to provoke and with no willingness to listen or debate in a respectful way.

someone suggested that they didn't want to feel like they were walking on eggshells. unfortunately political debate right now, with a war on our hands, is far more like walking on landmines and should be treated with the same care and respect.

this forum is part of a larger site and gets traffic from people of all ages, beliefs, and backgrounds. to some extent this place and the content that you post here represents the site. what that means is difficult to define - but i will not devote energy, money or space on my server to a forum that consists of a stream of nazi and klan allegations against president carter, nor endless pictures of president bush wearing devil horns, nor 9/11 conspiracy theories.

i fail to see how that is a discussion of current events, and there are plenty of places to participate in that sort of thing online.

i gather from prior posts that some of you came here mainly for the features, unfortunately you are stuck with the rest of the baggage as well.
zefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM   #49
Tennessee Man
monkey

zefrank

You make the rules here. Those that can go by them can stay, the others may leave, however, whenever you have a discussion on a current event issue with opposing opinions, you'll have debate. I like what this board has to offer its users and yes staying here will take some minor adjustments on my part, that I understand. Just having the board management listen & being able to discuss things with is a bonus. Thank you for your time. You also have my personal email if you wish to discuss anything.

Tennessee Man
Tennessee Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #50
Robin
banned

ZeFrank

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefrank View Post
it seems to me that above all this is not an issue of newness or of seniority, but one of political affiliation and viewpoint.

the new block of members seem to bring with them a conservative world view at a scale which has yet to be seen on this board.

discussion of current of events can mean many things, but it rarely means actual discussion - more often it means a regurgitation of shared viewpoints - something i am sure this board has been guilty of as well.

this is the challenge we face right now, not only here but in the rest of the country: the fracturing of opinion into small and clustered spin cycles.

i am willing to have a forum that has varied and strong viewpoints, but only as long as it doesn't become a pissing ground: a place where people plant extreme viewpoints only to provoke and with no willingness to listen or debate in a respectful way.

someone suggested that they didn't want to feel like they were walking on eggshells. unfortunately political debate right now, with a war on our hands, is far more like walking on landmines and should be treated with the same care and respect.

this forum is part of a larger site and gets traffic from people of all ages, beliefs, and backgrounds. to some extent this place and the content that you post here represents the site. what that means is difficult to define - but i will not devote energy, money or space on my server to a forum that consists of a stream of nazi and klan allegations against president carter, nor endless pictures of president bush wearing devil horns, nor 9/11 conspiracy theories.

i fail to see how that is a discussion of current events, and there are plenty of places to participate in that sort of thing online.

i gather from prior posts that some of you came here mainly for the features, unfortunately you are stuck with the rest of the baggage as well.
OK, I'm Robin, Canadain, Liberal-leftwing moonbat as some have called me. I've railed against Dukes posts since the war started BUT, IMO you shouldn't have banned him. We have come from a board with no moderation to a maderated board, all willing to live by your rules (basically there aren't any other thgan "be nice"). IMO you should have spoken to Duke and told him to limit his numbers or post ALL his stuff in one thread. He has an opinion too and is allowed to have that opinion as much as I disagree with him.....
Tou locked your CE board because it was flooded by newbes however when I looked at it prior to signing up it was barely being used by the "locals" so what's the beef? All my friends have been rather generous with their "thank you for the warm welcome" posts, I haven't found the welcome that warm to be honest. Red went way out of her way to introduce herself as well as encourage all of us to do the same, these are some really great people...
You have shown your opinion of Dukes threads and condemned them, I posted in a thread about Canada that I found VERY distasteful and I voiced my opinion in my usual sarcastic way. Will I be now judged based on my reply to a thread that is every bit as distasteful as Dukes in a different way??

Regards

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #51
Veruki
hint of olive

Quote:
I've never been near ICQ, so I could be wrong, but I have to agree with Ze. If someone wants that kind of discussion, isn't that what the debate hall is for?

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, I've always enjoyed the whole site...baggage and all.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #52
phoenix
monkey

Hi everyone

I'm phoenix. I'm from "the other place" too. I rarely post there but do read it. I don't post there much because I just can't be bothered with all the BS that goes on. I agree with some posters there and disagree with others but I just keep it to myself because I know as soon as I say something, the ones that disagree will have something nasty to say. I've seen the name calling, the threats...I've had some of it thrown my way too just for agreeing with someone else. I don't need that. I have enough BS to deal with at work and in real life in general. Some of what is said by some posters is just good for a laugh. We can all use a good laugh to start off the day. We're all supposed to be adults and I think some have forgotten that as adults, we can have differing opinions...it doesn't make him right and her wrong...we should be able to agree to disagree.
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #53
auntie aubrey
excursions

i don't understand how this thread is 4 pages long. dude pays for the server space, dude gets to make the rules. period.

i was welcomed with open arms when i registered, and i've never been made to feel unwelcome since. i don't know why i would turn around and spit in the face of the community by complaining that i can't be the asshole i wish i could be. there are plenty of places on the grande olde interwebs where you can be a prick. why insist on doing it here?

i would think this concept be conveyed and comprehended within, say, a page and a half. the ongoing insistence to the contrary is baffling.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:25 PM   #54
Veruki
hint of olive

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie aubrey View Post
i don't understand how this thread is 4 pages long. dude pays for the server space, dude gets to make the rules. period.

i was welcomed with open arms when i registered, and i've never been made to feel unwelcome since. i don't know why i would turn around and spit in the face of the community by complaining that i can't be the asshole i wish i could be. there are plenty of places on the grande olde interwebs where you can be a prick. why insist on doing it here?

i would think this concept be conveyed and comprehended within, say, a page and a half. the ongoing insistence to the contrary is baffling.
Well said...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:07 PM   #55
bobnoxious
banned

Lovely

Duke already banned..He can be a heavy load but come on now..
bobnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:10 PM   #56
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

Well, you know what, i made the same mistake one time the duke did, and I got the point immediately after being chastized, and sort of got forgiven, not totally... but the asshole/funny rule has saved me more than once.

You don't talk about Nazis, ever. hahaha, i.e. you don't compare anybody to one, you are making whatever your point was moot, outrageous and stultifyingly offensive. The use of the word in an argument means you automatically lost that argument.

The board before, my memory of it, is that its generally a liberal, almost agnostic board. There are religious thread for those who relig, but because there are people posting here from other more green nations and bluer states, the conversation can go a bit left.

I wouldnt worry about treading on senior posters, whats wrong with fresh air?
I'd like to see a more intellectual approach, and OOOO fresh limericks! Stay in syntax, dammit!

I got here from Nick Jr, a link to Ze's brilliant games, then here, I found kindred spirits and friends i've had for what, I forgot, years. It's over there, written down, but i forgot what it said. I've gone WAYYYYYYY far to even meet a lot of these senior poster people, and was impressed with the diversity and quality of who I met. If you all are friends from another board, for years as well,link us in, tell us how you all met, who you are that are linked, and share. Nobody Bites, well, there's an interstick or two, a couple of black eyes from that, but we all lived.

Oh, man, ZE! If some of these people are conservative, they sure as hell haven't seen JESUSTITTIES yet, have they? hahahahhahahha omg

He ain't for the faint of heart.

eta: the reason Aubrey wasn't given that much crap is because both her oars go way far into the water. She would be welcome at any message board she deigned grace with her presence, no doubt.

and:

Duke isnt banned forever, he just needs to know how things work before a king size rant. Usually when i rant in front of strangers, say, at the grocery store, people want to see you in a straightjacket. The same rant in my living room is acceptable. Its the same thing.

Last edited by Audreyvgs : 05-04-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Audreyvgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 PM   #57
Robin
banned

Auntie A

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie aubrey View Post

Ummmmm,,,, this was a thread started so we could introduce ourselves to you folks, why should there be a limit to the number of pages? I'm happy for you that you were welcomed with open arms,, we were not. We were lectured on the non existant rules, one was banned without being told of the non existant rules....... The CE board was shut down because we came here and posted CE with enthusiasm nothing more..... You want to see a prick in action?? Go to ICQ CE and see why we were looking for a place to post and discuss CE without being spammed off the board, without having our identities stolen and used, without anons. Here we have been hit with non existant rules (none of your rules were broken by any of us) and censorship.

Robin
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #58
Audreyvgs
Blue's Clues

I saw that on that other message board, man, what a load of crap. We've had problems here before, but nothing that didn't disappear in time, and nobody that was any good at the computer or hiding anything well. General spammers get taken care of by dedicated non-staff.

Read up, i edited about Duke, and this need not be a funeral.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #59
bobnoxious
banned

Red face Ohh..

22 ounce estwing smacks the the spike dead on..Knew there was a reason I liked you Robin..Can i play now?
Old 05-04-2007, 11:36 PM   #60
bobnoxious
banned

Audrey

Funeral?..Naa..When a family member is excluded the clan is concerned..I see you decided to venture over to the nasty place..Valium may cure the ensuing nightmares..Only for awhile though..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: