ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Being little
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2002, 09:51 PM   #1
amanda
old s'cool

Turkey Day Memories

Anyone want to share? Traditions, stories, ancedotes, stuffing....
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 10:39 PM   #2
masterofNone
________

One Thanksgiving, when I was 24, my uncle, who was in his 40s, asked me if I felt any different than I did when I was 18. I said "no." He smiled and said "you never will." Now I'm in my 40s and I've got nieces and nephews in their 20s... I figure to pass that one along next thursday.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:03 AM   #3
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

My mother's father is severly allergic to turkey, and his son (my mother's brother) is allergic to beef. Her brother's good friend eats no meat other than fish, and I'm a vegetarian (except not so much in Hong Kong, because I'd starve if I didn't just stay quiet and eat meat now and then.) Last year, we were all together for Thanksgiving. My sisters really wanted a turkey, and my grandfather really likes beef. My mom thought it would be nice to cook fish for my uncle's friend. So we ended up having it all, plus a tofu dish. We even had three kinds of stuffing: a big portion cooked in the turkey, some cooked with chicked broth (for my grandfather) and some cooked with vegetable broth.

My grandfather's new wife (he got married last winter when he was 82 and she was 87) is a vegetarian as well and has children with lots of different food requirements and habits, so all our family gatherings have become like that. It's getting easier just to go to restaurants.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:20 AM   #4
amanda
old s'cool

Canberry

When I was younger, my family didn't have much money. So Thansgiving was always sort of half-baked, half-dished out affair.

I remember one Thanskgiving, my mother was getting the cranberry out of the can (you know, the ocean spray cranberry jell-o-like stuff). She taught me how to get it out so it would keep it's shape- open the can and on the other side, poke a hole with an ice pick. Then blow through the hole and the cranberry will come out in one perfectly molded plop. It would look great, if wasn't in the molded shape of the can it was in.

We were all sitting around the table when I made a slip, "Please pass me the canberry."

Thanksgiving doesn't happen without "canberry" now, even after my mother learned how to make a beautiful cranberry sauce.

That, the "Turkey dance" and "Alice's Restaurant."
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 02:36 AM   #5
Arif-ul Haq
Lurker

d

Last edited by Arif-ul Haq : 02-06-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Arif-ul Haq is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: