Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2004, 09:52 AM   #1
fodder

home school

how can this possibly be a good thing
Old 04-06-2004, 12:21 PM   #2
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

I feel it's rather cruel, too. It denies them the real picture - that people are nasty. And PS gives you a lot to appreciate after you graduate.
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
Willow Sylph
monkey

It seems like there just needs to be a balance. I don't know that I would home school my kids for their entire school years. That seems like it might leave to much room to create an anti-social or socially retarded kid. I know someone like that and their kids are weird. Then again, I'm sure some people have enough extra-carricular activities outside of the school realm that would make up a really busy social life.
It may also depend on how long you do home schooling and when. I was home schooled from the end of my freshman year through the end of my junior year. I personally loved it. I had brilliant teachers. One on one teaching. I learned SO MUCH in that short amount of time. As a matter of fact, I got way ahead credit-wise and and education-wise than my friends who were going to high school and I only went to see my teachers once a week. I was also able to work and make money to blow. I absolutely loved it.
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

I went to a public school my entire life, and the politics of it all got in the way of actually learning anything. More than half the teachers were coaches, and that's all the administration really cared about - getting coaches who could win games, rather than ones who were good in the classroom. And the curriculum is becoming so watered down with fears of political incorrectness or cultural insensitivity, that we can barely even teach history anymore.

I have a good friend, on the other hand, who home schooled herself the last few years of high school and learned EXPONENTIALLY more than I did.

I do think that, especially when children are young, socialization provided by public school is equally, if not more, important that what's actually being taught. But once you get to the high school level, if you're disciplined enough to do it, some may be better off teaching themselves because more likely than not you're not going to get adequate instruction at a public school.

When I got to college, I was put in honors classes because of my high GPA in high school, which in retrospect meant nothing because A's were given out like candy, and we had a "re-test" system which allows all students to take all tests in all classes numerous times, until they pass (implemented by Oklahoma public schools because kids weren't passing. Huh. Ironic.). And I had to scramble to catch up to all the privately schooled kids.

Not to bash public schools, but the situation is getting out of hand. Here teacher salaries start at $23k. You can't support a family on that. No wonder they're so jaded.

Last edited by Gatsby : 04-24-2004 at 04:05 AM.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 12:54 AM   #5
Ravn
monkey

Why I homeschool

Hi all, boy, what a choice for a first post LOL!! Anyway, this is why I plan to homeschool. I want my child to be his own person, not some government robot zombie that can fill in the bubbles on a scantron sheet. I want my child to learn to think, not to learn how to memorize someone else's opinions. I want him to learn that EVERY human being has value, and is worthy, no matter what "clique" they belong to. I want him to work to *HIS* potential and noone else's. I don't want him labeled "gifted" if he is an "easy" learner or "LD" if he learns slower. I don't want him to be exposed to the premature sexualization of children going on in the schools, ie, the incident in OH (I think) of 2 2nd graders having oral sex in a bathroom. I don't want him to celebrate state sponsered celebrations of slaughter and slavery like Columbus day and St. Patrick's Day (which, right there is a RELIGOUS holiday and has no place in a public school system where there is supposed to be a seperation of church and state.) Saying "Happy St. Patrick's Day" is akin to saying "Happy Hitler Day" because St. Patrick leading the snakes out of Ireland is a nice, clean way of saying he massacered the indiginous people. Not that I am against religion, in fact, I am quite religious in my own way, but it is *MY* job to teach my child religion and no one else's.

This is how *I* feel, I realize everyone is different and has different priorities and beliefs, but it really hurts me to see the generalization of homeschooler and their children in the above posts. MOST homeschoolers aren't like the freaks that say God tells them to kill their children. MOST homeschoolers belong to homeschooling groups wherin they have fieldtrips and socialization with other children. MOST homeschooled children belong to organizations such as the Scouts, Little League, Swim team, peewee football, etc. Do not judge all of us by the freakshow's that make the news. It makes the news because it is bad news and draws ratings. If the news showed positive things they would end up being taken off the air for lack of intrest.

Just my .02

"These woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~~ R.F.
Ravn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:31 AM   #6
Gatsby
I used to be a girl

Props go out to you, Ravn. If more people would take an intense, personal interest in their children's upbringings like you do, then ironically public schools might not be as bad as they are now.

I hope you find lots of support in your choice. I think we'll see, as the public school system continues to deteriorate, that more parents will make the same choice you are.

Where I come from in the Midwest, a surprising number of children are homeschooled, mostly for religious reasons, but increasingly for the reasons you state, also.

All kids are different! They all learn different ways. Though it works for some, we can't pinhole them all into the same method of rote learning.

And welcome to our corner of the net. I'm a bit of a newbie here, too, but I've found it to be an irresistibly addictive site.

Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:47 AM   #7
catbelly
monkey

I think that homeschooing can be amazing. Ravn, I really liked your post and the sentiments behind it! But - and it's a big one ... it's because I agree with you and with your politics. If I didn't your post would scare the bejebus out of me. Suppose you were an ardent believer in ... say, slavery? Or you didn't believe that the holocaust was real? Yipes.

Also ... on a less serious note, suppose the person in charge of teaching is not proficient in the subjects they are teaching to the children? Not to be all crazy nitpicky or bitchy, but I noticed spelling and grammatical errors in your post. Is there a mechanism in the homeschooling system to catch things like that?
catbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 01:56 AM   #8
catbelly
monkey

Yeeps I re-read my post, and I can see that you're replying, Ravn - I have to go, but just wanted to say that I am aware that I came off as being not so tactful. Sorry about that. Will pop in tomorrow to see what you posted. Cheers, Cat.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:58 AM   #9
Ravn
monkey

about the spelling and grammar errors

I have a terrible cold, a crabby 2 year old, a husband working double shifts, and cabin fever. I also have a BS in Social Anthropology, so I'm not Joe Non-educated.

As far as the the people who believe the holocaust never happened or who believe in slavery, I just stay far away from them. I only have so much room in my brain for worries, and they are a flyspeck to me. Not to say that there aren't people like that, I actually went to school with a few historical revisionist types, they just don't rate high on my "people to worry about" list.

I also have *great* grammar and spelling on papers, where I have to worry about grades and giving speeches and credibility and such. This is the internet. For all anyone knows I could be Margaret Cho

"These woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep." ~~ R.F.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #10
Hermione
monkey

Okay.. I just HAVE to post.. I was homeschooled

I learned so much more than all of my peers. I had more time to read the things that I wanted to read (i.e. Russian literature, Shakespeare, and greek plays).

I had the complete attention of my instructor. I did not have to wait for everyone else in the class to understand a subject before proceeding onto new material.

If I did not understand something, my instructor would work with me until I understood everything.

I will admit that while being homeschooled I was a bit lonely, but I spent *sooo* much time with my mum. I can say that having that time to spend/bond with her really made my relationship with her concrete.

And fodder.. as to your question "how can this possibly be a good thing" .. the answer is that some kids learn at an accelerated level (myself), some people have disabilities, or some just learn better in an enviornment that they are comfortable with. Homeschooling helps kids understand the material completely. Kids do not have to wait around for everyone else to understand things. I understand that not attending a school does make a child a bit antisocial, but the education that the child will receive is better than that of a public school education.

A homeschooled student can still interact with children their age by attending dance classes, sports, and music lessons. I went to dance class and tennis lessons. I had the interaction that I needed and the education that I craved.

Homeschooling is not a bad thing.. the teachers actually care about their students. I'm not saying that regualr teachers don't care.. i'm saying that homeschool teachers devote their time and energy to one student whom they get to know and understand their learning habits. Having someone truly care about your education really changes your life. I appreciate the things that I learn. When I don't understand something, I question things immediately. Being homeschooled has made me a better student and a "lifelong learner."

Overall, I believe that homeschooling is amazing.
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:27 AM   #11
topcat
monkey

i hope you are not margaret cho
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 02:41 AM   #12
topcat
monkey

i was never a very good student. but all three of my children are.i always talk to my children about what is going on in school.i was talking to my 14 year son today about it. he goes to a technical high school so he only has the education part for half the year. he said to me it is not parakeet teaching. they teach it once. if more than 10 students dont pass the test. they will go over it again. under 10 and they will work with the students who need help after school. what i teach my children at home is to be responseable caring people. and i teach them my values and morals. i also teach my sons how to take care of them selves, how to iron their clothes, how to cook. so they wont need anyone
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #13
catbelly
monkey

I think homeschooling *can be* amazing, depending on the situation.

I think there are awesome stories and examples of great experiences, but I think there are also awesomely bad stories to tell too. I don't think they are irrelevant in the big picture, I think we [as a culture] have to take ownership for ourselves. Although, I can see that in the small picture, for an awesome-story person, these issues can be brushed under the carpet for others to worry about.

For a general discussussion on home schooling, can we address the questions I had? I am NOT meaning to make personal comments about anyone here, and I admit it was wrong of me (rather rude, in retrospect) to use Ravn's grammar and spelling as an example. I didn't in any way mean to imply that you were uneducated, Ravn, sorry if you got that impression - IME education level is absolutely *no* guarantee of ability to spell!

To make my question clearer, I was thinking of the example where a parent decides to homeschool their child. Are there checks and balances in place to ensure that the child is learning certain standard subjects properly - i.e. how is the parent's ability as a teacher evaluated, if at all? I referring to objective standards here, like spelling, math, reading, grammar, all that stuff - not subjects that could be considered subjective or up to interpretation by the teacher (e.g. what really happened in the War of 1812?). Is there leeway re: curriculum? Suppose a parent decides not to teach a subject altogether?

I would really consider home schooling if I had a child, at least for part of the process. I learned to read at home and I remember school being tortuously slow.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #14
Ravn
monkey

I can't really answer for everyone. Every state has different homeschooling laws. It is a different choic and lifestyle within each family. Here are a few websites.

http://www.geoblox.com/geoblox_links.htm

http://members.aol.com/stretrat/homeschool/states.html

http://tophomeschoolsites.mytopsitel...omeschoolsites

I realize a lot of these are links that have links to Christian Homeschooling websites, and since I am a Neo-Druid I am proof that not only Xtians homeschool, but I also won't totally discount their methods, I glean what I like from their methods and leave the rest, at the moment my son (who is only 27 months old) and I are doing a very relaxed, very eclectic curriculum.

I would also like to comment on a comment I saw in another post about the Mom stoning her children to death because they quit homeschool. I guess then Columbine is a good arguement to shut down public schools, because of course, the worst examples we are given are the best examples of the majority ((sarcasm))

Old 04-25-2004, 10:25 PM   #15
catbelly
monkey

Quote:
of course, the worst examples we are given are the best examples of the majority ((sarcasm))
I hope you didn't write this because I asked to talk about some of the downsides aka things that could work better in the homeschooling system.

I don't understand why you're not addressing my questions with your own views - if I wanted to read other people's articles I could do a google search on my own.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: