ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2004, 05:28 AM   #1
Zaftig
monkey

Angry Feeling Unsafe.

How is it that I have lived all over the U.S. in cities, in the country, walked alone late at night. . left my doors to my house and car unlocked and now I live in a small town of about roughly 45,000 and I feel so unsafe. The crime rate is low. We don't live in a bad area here. I'm not even sure there is a bad area to live here per se. Our apartment complex feels so unsafe. When I first visited here with recommendation from a realtor I didn't think it was great but anything was better than our previous apartment. The carpets were new, new windows, freshly painted. The hallways were yuckie but the apartment pretty polished up. In this past month we have had vagrants in the hallways and a fire alarm pulled at 3am. I sleep in the buff so I jump out of bed, throw on clothes. . grab the cat carrier and a normally compliant cat decides she wants to fight with me. . I grab the document binder we have and Sim is barely moving. I open the door and not a soul is even leaving. OK, so the place isn't burning down but I still want to figure out what was going on so I go to leave the apartment and there is this nasty drunk stinky man is outside my freaking door blocking the stairwell. He refused to move and would have made an easy target to beat the shit out of seeing as how this old, stinky man could barely stand but he pissed me off bigtime. So I go marching back into the apartment and call the apartment manager. No answer. Sim is dead to the world not caring about anything as he was tired as hell from the previous day. So I call the police department, I'm pissed, fire alarms are going off and there are drunk men in the hallway, so the police are like "I'm sorry but all of our police are busy, call the fire department to check on the situation." I asked what the number was and she said in a pissy tone, "I don't know" and hung up. I was like WHAT THE HELL!?!?!? Am I the only one who finds it alarming that there are old fashioned bell fire alarms sounding in the hallways and not a soul is stirring??? Obviously I'm over-reacting so I spend the rest of the night cleaning and reading.

Second unsafe incident. There is a solid flat covering over the outside door. A bunch of idiot kids decided that they wanted to make it their hangout on top of this covering. We're on the third floor but with people standing on that covering they are just over a foot under our kitchen window. They loved doing this around 3am and the cops didn't care. They never care out here.

Third big thing that made me feel unsafe. You need a key to get in the doors to the building. Friday it was time for Sim to come home from lunch. I hear the door buzz meaning there is a visitor. I was about to get in the shower but it kept freaking buzzing. . I answer, it's Sim. WTF?? He comes upstairs and we look at this letter from the realtors stating that a sub trade vehicle was stolen with all the master keys to the building. They changed the outside door locks and won't get to our personal apartment locks until next week. Even more major WTF!?!?! There's only 27 apartments in the building and the people inhabiting the apartment across the hall happened to go in and out all freaking night. Not even the same person that lives there. All majorly shadey, nasty, no shower, druggie looking people. This happens all the time since the person moved in. I couldn't sleep last night and counted 8 in and out door slams between 5-5:30am. Come on now people??? Not only does their door slam but the one that goes downstairs and then the outside door. All next to our apartment. All from that apartment. The only way I could finally fall asleep was to freaking put a bag of our cans in front of the front door to know if someone was trying to enter.

I have lived in places of much more crime and always felt safe. I've lived alone in much more unsafe places but this place just leaves me unsettled. Does this make sense. . has anyone ever felt like this where they lived??? I can't wait until Sim finds a job in Calgary cause then we are out of this craphole.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:43 AM   #2
Zaftig
monkey

Speaking of the devil. . Just had some MAJOR chaos come out of that apartment. . slam around the hall for a while and leave the building. I'm sure they'll be right back with just as much force. GGRRRRR!
Old 09-05-2004, 06:34 AM   #3
ally
cunning stunt

i had a simelar (although no where near as bad) situation when i lived in a flat near uni. i suggest you carry on calling the police until they actually do something about it. can you also try & get the other tennants (not the junkies) to complain to the building manager (if there is one) & get hold of the fire dpt to inform them htat the fire alarm is going of in the night & had it been a real alert most of the residents would have been frazzled.

oh & if you have anyway of filming the incident do it & make sure you turn on the tv to get preoof of the time it is.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Frieda
in limbo

keep calling the police until they do come by! every 2 hours, if you have to. what also helps is to stand close to the noise when calling, so they can hear it over the phone.

if you're really that scared that someone might open the door install an alarm system, or just an extra lock on the door, preferably a safety lock.

last year i lived in an area in amsterdam with a pretty high crime rate, 2 people were shot and killed in the coffee shop right outside my door (remember, guns are illegal here) and another was stabbed causing riots all over the square, making us barricade the door downstairs and everything.

i used to come home and find the stairwell downstairs crowded with young maroccans smoking pot. i've always stayed polite, asking them to move aside, clean up their mess, anything. after a while they greet you back.

last nice trick: when you call the police, say that it's so much noise and you couldn't sleep, and now that you are listening more closely, it sounds like someone's fighting or something! they'll come for a fight!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #5
Aphrodite
Myth Demeanour

That is terrible!
Do you have one of those personal alarms? They cost next to nothing and you can carry them on you. You pull the wrist strap off and it emits a really high pitched and really loud piercing alarm sound. Those can also be used on doors. There is a tweezer like part that slips between the door and jamb. If the door opens and the contact is broken, the thing goes off.
Also, I agree with calling the police and the landlord often. If that doesn't work, you can call the news. They love to do 'fight back' kinds of segments and it usually forces the landlord to clean up the building.
Are you in a lease? I'd also suggest moving.
Sorry that you are in such a frightening situation.
Old 09-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #6
red
elite rabble

I wouldn't feel safe if my dwelling was as unsettled as yours is.
If the calling the landlord and the police doesn't work is there any way to break your lease and get out of there?

I lived in a little apartment complex that had a rageaholic woman living downstairs and over one from me. She would yell and scream it made our lives miserable. One of the last straws was when she slammed her door so hard she shook pictures on our walls. We were on a month to month lease by then and were able to get the hell outta there. Thank god too. I was all jumpy from her making my home shake all the time.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 03:58 PM   #7
Willow Sylph
monkey

Your story brings back old memories - it sounds just like the complex I lived in when I first moved here to LA. Except mine may have been a bit worse. My advice to you is to start looking for a new place.
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #8
melissa
monkey

Document everything. Every vagrant, every loud noice next door that wakes you up, every time you call the police, etc. Also, see if other tenants are as disturbed as you are, if so, ask them to report more to the apt. manager.

That sucks so much, Zaftig. I get freaky pissed when my home can't be the warm, welcoming place I need it to be, due to other people.

Keep us posted.
melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:32 PM   #9
rmr

i agree with melissa -- document everything.

Keep calling the police/fire department until they are so sick of hearing from you they'll do something.

Also, keep bugging the landlord/managment company and try get your fellow tenents to back you up.....you are paying rent and should not be subjected to that kind of living. If anything maybe your landlord will let you break your lease and you can look for another place to live.

I'm sorry and good luck.
rmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 05:34 PM   #10
melissa
monkey

Or if you have a lease that can't be broken, is there another apt. in that complex you could move into?
melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:23 PM   #11
zenbabe
Lollypop!

keep at the police until they make an apperance. That apt with the people coming in and out of it is probably a drug house. I would also buy one of those locks for the inside of the apartment, the kind that is like a big pole that you plant under the handle and the other end is on the ground.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:32 AM   #12
Zaftig
monkey

Thank you all for your advice! It's great to come in here and get some serious comments that are helpful to me. I really was beginning to feel like I was overreacting. It just bugs me that I have lived in places where I had to be more cautious but no other place gave me this bad feeling in my gut.

We're definately going to put in effect the advice here. I completely appreciate it. There is about 8 active cop cars total in town. Their #1 use I have learned from personal experience is to patrol traffic and they aren't even good at that. It's pretty sad.

As for the lease, we signed in for a four month lease and there after it is month to month. We're on our fifth month here. We are only staying now because we don't want to get locked into another lease when Sim and I plan on moving to Calgary within the next month or two. Either there or Edmonton.

Anyways, thank you all. I'll keep ya updated of any new events.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:53 AM   #13
zenbabe
Lollypop!

get a stun gun.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:44 PM   #14
Zaftig
monkey

So last time when I went to pay our rent at the realtor I mentioned my grief to them. That was on Sept. 1st. They told me to talk to the apartment managers. I told myself if they seriously pissed me off again I would then do that. In between then and now they have done plenty of things but last night totally pissed me off. At about 1:30am there was a girl screaming in front of the building, “LET ME IN!” Then she went into the lobby and proceeded to hit the buzzer for our apartment until she realized she wanted, you guessed it, the losers in the apartment across from us. How do I know this? I hit the listen button and heard her run up the stairs until I no longer needed the listen button with her stomp/running down the hall to the apartment across from us. Then they were running in and out of the apartment for the rest of the night. I took my allergy medicine so I knew I would be out like a light in a short time so I decided that I would go to the managers in the morning.

I went to the managers today. A nice polish couple with 4 children. I usually talk to the woman, who is so incredibly nice, but today the husband answered. A bit into the conversation he said “Oh, the people in that apartment are a young couple, no children, very nice, we’ve never had any complaints about apartment 124.” He thought I was talking about MY apartment. I said, no, the apartment across from ours. He said “OH, the ones who are new! I don’t know anything about them.” He then reassured me he was going to talk to them and the policy there is they get 3 warnings. After the 3rd warning they get kicked out! He told me to let him know ANYTIME they are creating more than your average disturbances. He was incredibly nice. He’s going to call the realtor and see if they have had any past problems that are noted in the file. So we’ll see what happens.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 PM   #15
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Good luck Zaftig and Sim.

That situation across the hall would def suck.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: