Old 10-20-2005, 05:12 PM   #1
JesusTitties

Humans vs Animals

JesusTitties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
TinaBina
Mooooooooo

point taken

but that is absolutely awful, just awful.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #3
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

I love it.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:51 AM   #4
JesusTitties

people see this and wince, but when its an animal somehow there is some sort of supportive arguement. i think sometimes in a culture that is full of shock and awe - the only way to really get a point across is to cross the line like these ads did, and get it to stick
Old 10-23-2005, 02:10 AM   #5
TinaBina
Mooooooooo

I don't like seeing any creature suffer. Heck, I don't even kill bugs in my own house. I actually set them free.

I appreciate the twist on perspective that the posters offer, but I am just especially sensitive to the baby one, being that I am a new mom who's battled postpartum depression. I used to suffer from awful anxiety about the possibility of my baby getting hurt. So the clubbing scene is just too much for me to bear.

It's a bit over the top for me.

It does not make me any more sensitive to the atrocities suffered by baby seals. I am already very aware of that issue and very sensitive about it. So it does not elevate my knowledge or sensitivity in that way.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:52 AM   #6
JesusTitties

you dont speak on behalf of most
Old 10-23-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I can appreciate both sides.

Tits, you have quite the trenchant point, and I appreciate that. I'm with the Pricey One on this; I love it.

TinaBina, I can appreciate your viewpoint as well. I suffered horribly with postpartum depression and the second image posted here would have totally given me the squeams. I'm over it now but can't say I enjoy looking at that one.

Still, the point IS to discomfit the comfortable. JT is right, TinaBina -- you DON'T speak for most, because you are kind to a fault, sensitive and caring about ALL living things. Unfortunately, that is not a hallmark of our rootin', tootin' culture of ignorance, violence and conspicuous consumption. You are the blessed exception to the unfortunate rule.

-- trisherina
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I like it.

It is wrong, but right at the same time.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #9
JesusTitties

i still think this website is powerful ..................

Last edited by JesusTitties : 10-23-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Horny much?

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #11
lapietra
half baked

Unfortunately, sometimes you have to really shock people to shake them out of their complacency and think differently.

Equally unfortunately - sometimes people use the mode through which a message is delivered to "make it wrong"... I wonder how effective this will be with people who will only latch onto the way the image makes them feel and disregard the message it intends to deliver.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who previously thought it was okay to club baby seals or do invasive animal testing, who, after seeing this kind of advertising, now realize how barbaric these practices are. It seems to me it would be more effective to somehow show what they lose by engaging in these practices, since they probably rationalize the practices by what they gain. I tend to doubt that the people these messages are intended to reach have the kind of sensitivity required to receive them. They are the kind of people who will say, "How can you put the life of an animal at the same level as the life of a human being?"

Having said all that - I'm in the TinaBina court and appreciate the message.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #12
TinaBina
Mooooooooo

Hmmm. Lots to think about here.
More to add.
I think shock value is needed to reach some people. But what people? People that have not been paying attention?
I would like to know the intended audience for the posters...
I am not one of the intended targets.

People who are unaware of these horrible acts?
People who are aware, but do nothing about it?
People who are committing these acts?

I am a graphic designer. Technically the posters are very well done and the concept is well-thought of and well-executed (for lack of a better word.)
It is a powerful concept here - turning the tables. It does turn the stomach. But then again, I was never comfortable with eating monkey brains, or clubbing baby seals.

I can't read the small type on the posters, but I assume the call to action is somewhere in there... I wonder what it is exactly. Perhaps it is to go to their site and become an activist.
http://www.humansforanimals.com/howtohelp.html

Do I want animals to suffer? No.
Do I believe in a food chain? Yes.
But am I a hypocrite if I want to eat a lobster or fish?
(Do I enjoy fishing - yes. Do I like to see the fish die - no. Do I enjoy eating it - yes.)
Do I like chicken? Eggs? Sure.
Could I kill a chicken - no.
I can't kill a bug, but I can eat veal parmesan?

Maybe I am the intended audience.

PS: I read somewhere a long time ago that there were urban kids who did not realize that the prepackaged hamburger on styrofoam plates sold in grocery stores actually came from a living breathing animal called a cow.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:29 PM   #13
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

I don't believe in animal testing, it's why I do the clinical trials myself.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:26 AM   #14
Brynn
constantly amazed

The baby looks fake, so I'm sorry to admit that I'm somewhat unmoved. I find the monkey picture slightly more disturbing, but only because it raises questions in my mind as to why people would go out of their way to eat monkey brains.

This is how far gone I am - if I were starving in the Arctic, and I came across a seal with a club in its mouth, I would grab the club out of its mouth and club its baby to death. It would be much harder to club the adult seal to death.

But if I found - against all odds - a baby cow in the Arctic, I'd much rather club that because it would probably taste better. Although, come to think of it, I probably wouldn't have to club it to death - I could just wait for a couple of hours until it froze from exposure. Then I could have guilt-free carpaccio. This is assuming, of course that I'm warmly dressed and I don't starve before the calf freezes.
Actually, it looks like it would have to be carpaccio no matter what because I am after all starving to death and have to assume that if I have no food out there, there's a good chance there's no fuel to cook the calf either.
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:36 AM   #15
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Mmmmmmmmm, carpaccio!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: