ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > GOOD READING
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-2003, 03:18 PM   #31
moel

"he knew that instead of waking her he should lull her back to sleep, so he tried to come up with an answer that would plant the image of a new dream in her mind.

'i'm looking at the stars,' he siad.

'don't say you're looking at the stars. that's a lie. you're looking down.'

'that's because we're in an airplane. the stars are below us.'

'oh, in an airplane,' said tereza, squeezing his hand even tighter and falling asleep again. and tomas knew that tereza was looking out of the round window of an airplane flying high above the stars."
moel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:32 AM   #32
moel

"she'd probably give me a piece of her mind. what the hell have you ever chosen? she'd say. and she'd be right. i'd never decided to do a single thing of my own free will. the only things id chosen to do were to forgive the professor and not sleep with his grandaughter. and what was that to me? did my existence offer anything against its own exstinction?

there was almost nothing left in the frame at this point. wide shot: pigeons, fountain, mother and child. i didn't want to leave this scene. i didnt care witch world was coming next. i don't know why i felt this, but how could i just walk out on life? it didnt seeem like the responsible thing to do.

even if no one would miss me. even if i left no blank space on anyones's life, even if no one noticed, i couldnt leave willingly. loss was not a skill, not a measure of life. and yet i still felt i had something to lose.

i closed my eyes, i felt a ripple run through my mind."
Old 01-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #33
fodder

"There's too much good manners," he said on the way back to gstaad in the smooth sleigh.

"Well, i think that's nice," said Baby.

"No, it isn't," he insisted to the anonymous bundle of fur. "Good manners are an admission that everybody is so tender that they have to be handled with gloves. no, human respect-- you don't call a man a coward or a liar lightly, but if you spend your life sparing people's feelings and feeding their vanity, you get so you can't distinguish what should be respected in them."

OH. FRAGILE
IS
THE MIND
Old 01-09-2004, 11:28 PM   #34
moel

"'you're a rotten driver,' i protested. 'either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn't to drive at all.'

'i am careful.'

'no, you're not.'

'well, other people are,'she said lightly.

'what's that got to do with it?'

'they'll keep out of my way,' she insisted. 'it takes two to make an accident.'

'Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself.'

'i hope i never will,' she answered. "i hate careless people.' "
Old 01-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #35
moel

"in a morbid condition of the brain, dreams often have a singular actuality, vividness, and extraordinary semblance of reality. at times monstrous images are created, but the setting and the whole picture are so truth like and filled with details so delicate, so unexpectedly, but so artistically consistent, that the dreamer, were he an artist like pushkin or turgenev even, could never have invented them in the waking state. such sick dreams always remain long in the memory and make a powerful impression on the overwrought and dranged nervous system."
Old 01-12-2004, 01:46 AM   #36
Hermione
monkey

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:12 AM   #37
moel

"at home, to begin with, i mainly used to read. i wished to stifle with external sensations all that was ceaselessly boiling up inside me. and among external sensations the only one possible for me was reading. reading was, of course, a great help- it stirred, delighted, and tormented me. but at times it bored me terribly. i still wanted to move about, and so i'd suddenly sink into some murky, subterranean, vile debauch- not a great, but a measly little debauch. there were measly little passions in me, sharp, burning, because of my permanent, morbid irritability. i was given to hysterical outbursts, with tears and convulsions. apart from reading i had nowhere to turn- that is, there was nothing i could then respect in my surroundings, nothing i would be drawn to. what's more, anguish kept boiling up; a hysterical thrist for contradictions, contrasts, would appear, and so i'd set out on debauchery. it is not at all to justify myself that i've been doing all this talking...but no! that's a lie! i precisely wanted to justify myself. i make this little note for myself, gentlemen. i don't want to lie. i've given my word."
Old 02-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #38
moel

"among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behaviour. you're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. youll laern from them - if you want to. just as some day, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. it's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. and it isn't education.its history."
Old 03-28-2004, 10:11 AM   #39
soren

There was a soft murmuring, which might have been the wireless or might have been Mrs. Tinckham casting a spell in order to make me talk to her – a sound like the gentle winding of a delicate line on which some rare fish precariously hangs. But I gritted my teeth against speech. I wanted to wait until I could present my story in a more dramatic way. The thing had possibilities, but as yet it lacked form. If I spoke now there was always the danger of my telling the truth; when caught unawares I usually tell the truth, and what’s duller than that? I met Mrs. Tinckham’s gaze, and although her eyes told nothing I was sure that she knew my thoughts.

(Iris Murdoch: ”Under the Net” 1954)
Old 03-29-2004, 12:07 AM   #40
moel

"just as he started to turn off the lamp, he thought he saw something in the hall. He kept staring and thought he saw it again, a pair of small eyes. his heart turned. he blinked and kept staring. he leand over to look for something to throw. he picked up one of his shoes. he sat up straight and held the shoe with both hands. he heard her snoring and set his teeth. he waited. he waited for it to move once more, to make the slightest noise."
Old 04-04-2004, 01:31 AM   #41
special K
askldjnasd fde

"There is no reality except the one contained within us. That is why so many people live such an unreal life. They take the images outside them for reality and never let the world within assert itself. You can be happy that way. But once you know the other interpretation you no longer have the choice of following the crowd."
special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 01:42 AM   #42
special K
askldjnasd fde

"Please do not get annoyed with me, Bessie, however, here is my
absolutely last word on the subject of retirement from the stage at an
uncommonly early age. I quite beg you again not to do anything out of
season. At least wait, quite patiently, till October and then keep your
eyes very peeled for retirement opportunities; October could be very
clean sailing! Also, lest I forget, Buddy requests that you be sure to
send him some of those very big tablets, quite without lines, for his
haunting stories. Absolutely do not send him the kind with lines, such
as I am using up for this day of pleasant communication, as he despises
them. Also, though I have not dared to discuss the matter with him in a
frank matter, I think he would enjoy it very much if you sent him
middle bunny, having lost big bunny when the porter on the train made
the bed in the morning; please, however, do not refer to this matter in
your future correspondence, merely placing middle bunny silently in a
convenient package, perhaps an empty shoe box or container, and
dispatching it in the mail."
special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 10:48 PM   #43
moel

"We walked through a high hallway into a bright rosy-colored space, fragilely bound into the house by French windows at either end. The windows were ajar and gleaming white against the fresh grass outside that seemed to grow a little way into the house. A breeze blew through the room, blew curtains in at one end and out the other like pale flags, twisting them up toward the frosted wedding-cake of the ceiling, and then rippled over the wine-colored rug, making a shadow on it as wind does on the sea.
The only completely stationary object in the room was an enormous couch on which two young women were buoyed up as though upon an anchored balloon. They were both in white, and their dresses were rippling and fluttering as if they had just been blown back in after a short flight around the house. I must have stood for a few moments listening to the whip and snap of the curtains and the groan of a picture on the wall. Then there was a boom as Tom Buchanan shut the rear windows and the caught wind died out about the room, and the curtains and the rugs and the two young women ballooned slowly to the floor. "
Old 04-14-2004, 08:09 PM   #44
moel

"ive only just noticed for the first time that i loathe evil. until today i really didn't know how much. my dear agathe, you have no idea what it's like," he complained moodily. "take science, for instance! for a mathematician, to put it very simply, minus five is no worse than plus five. a scientist resaerching a problem musn't recoil in horror from anything, and under certain conditions he might get more excited by a lovely cancer than a lovely woman. a man of knowledge knows that nothing is true and that the whole truth will be revealed only at the end of time. science is amoral. all our glorious thrusting of ourselves into the unknown gets us out of the habit of being personally concerned with our conscience; in fact, it doesn't even give us the satisfaction of taking our conscience entirely seriously. and art? doesn't it amount to a creation of images that don't correspond to the realities of life? i'm not talking about bogus idealism, or the paintings of voluptuous nudes in a period when everyone goes around covered up to the eyeballs," he joked again. "but think of a real work of art: have you never had the feeling that something about it is reminiscent of the smell of burning metal you get from a knife you're whetting on a grindstone? it's a cosmic, meteoric, lightning-and-thunder smell, something divinely uncanny!"
Old 04-15-2004, 12:43 AM   #45
rapscalious rob

Quote:
It was warm inside the bakery. Howard stood up from the table and took off his coat. He helped Ann from her coat. The baker looked at them for a minute and then nodded and got up from the table. He went to the oven and turned off some switches. He found cups and poured coffee from an electric coffee-maker. He put a carton of cream on the table, and a bowl of sugar.

“you probably need to eat something,” the baker said. “I hope you’ll eat some of my hot rolls. You have to eat and keep going. Eating is a small, good thing at a time like this,” he said.

He served them warm cinnamon rolls just out of the oven, the icing still runny. He put butter on the table and knives to spread the butter. Then the baker sat down at the table with them. He waited. He waited until they each took a roll from the platter and began to eat. “It’s good to eat something,” he said, watching them. “There’s more. Eat up. Eat all you want. There’s all the rolls in the world in here.”

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: