ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > Dive Bars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2002, 01:53 PM   #1
dickieC
Professional ZeMonkey

Oxford, UK

On this side of the Atlantic, we don't usually combine swimming or diving with drinking. Personally, I don't like the chlorine in my beer...

But here are my favourite pubs in Oxford:

The Turf, off Holywell Street (predictable and touristy but I like it)
The Bear, Bear Lane (for the ties)
Philosopher and Firkin, Cowley Rd. (since renamed, I've not been there in a while)
Bookbinder's Arms, Jericho

Mmmmm, beer

DC
Old 09-25-2002, 10:05 PM   #2
StellaWanders
monkey

I have to admit, the Turf is quite tourisy, but I couldn't think of a better place to duck into for a pint. Or two. Or three.
StellaWanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 09:15 AM   #3
RuneT
baaaaah?

Where Morse goes

"The trout" is a great place to go, especially with a big group. Please mind the low ceiling. Touristy, yes, but I don't care since I am a tourist as well

Greeting from Bergen, Norway
RuneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:23 AM   #4
dickieC
Professional ZeMonkey

Well, the Trout *used* to be a great place to go, but apparently it has been refurbished recently. For refurbished read ruined.

Lots of Oxford pubs have been "done up" over the last eighteen months. And had their soul destroyed by evil corporate chain-pubs who just want us to drink crap lager and eat unspeakable chicken-in-a-basket.

Don't get me started.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:31 AM   #5
RuneT
baaaaah?

My Oxfordian GF completely agrees with you. Shhh, I got her started now.

She wonders if it is true that the Perch is being wrecked too?

money and no style is a horrible combo.
RuneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 01:08 PM   #6
dickieC
Professional ZeMonkey

The Perch

I walked past the Perch today, and there were lots of cars outside, so it's probable that it's not been redone, given that it's open. I didn't go in though.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:57 AM   #7
fantastic

Nicholas from Oxford

I met someone named Nicholas from Oxford in Lima, Peru in August 1999. He was a real nice guy and I was supposed to see him again but didn't show up and I always thought that was a shame.

Have tons of drinks for me and Nicholas in Oxford then, will ya? And if you are him or know him, well then, damn, ain't that amazing, send him to this board. Stranger things have happened.
(Really.)

I'm Sara from the U.S. and at that time I was traveling with my brother...

Ya ya I know I'll get hell for this but stranger things have happened. What about the guy I ran into in nowhere Nebraska who I had met in Costa Rica. 'tis true you see. So save it you bastards.
fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 11:25 AM   #8
chuckie egg
a peach

Dive bar???

Dive bar...can someone define what this means??

I'm assuming its some kind of strip club or somethin?

Where I'm from a 'dive' means a crap pub with more scruffy single old men in it than anything else.

I'm sure you wouldnt be interested in where they are so I'll tell you about some good pubs instead

The Spring Vale, near asda. Live bands at weekends.

The Church Inn, near the river and the blue rope swing.

The Rose of Lancaster, serves a good pint of guinness.
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 11:32 AM   #9
saskuoch
Somebody stole my cheese

Nope, you pretty much got the definition of dive right. When we mean strip club in the US, we just say strip club. Or something more offensive like "titty bar." There are actually a lot of "crap pubs" that aren't filled with weird old guys, but they're mostly filled with "regulars," who tend to get old and continue going. I guess you have to catch them on the upswing.
We are, of course, now living in what George W. Bush has called the "era of personal responsibility": if a child chooses to have parents who can't afford health care, that child will have to accept the consequences.
saskuoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:24 PM   #10
dickieC
Professional ZeMonkey

Wink Nicholas in Oxford

Dear Sara fantastic

I know at least seven Nicholases in Oxford, but only one or two are likely ever to been to Peru.

Send me some details and I'll let you know.

dickieC

P.S. Is it true what they say about American women and British accents?
Old 10-23-2002, 01:42 AM   #11
fantastic

Wink No.

No. It's not true.
fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:29 PM   #12
Red Princess
thread soiler

Oh yes it is true about American women and British accents!! Also those Irish accents, I know a guy from Ulster and I could listen to him talk for days (preferably naked though)
Red Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:34 PM   #13
Red Princess
thread soiler

Oh, the Dive Bars, there used to be a bar in Kent, Ohio called JB's, it's where Joe Walsh got his start. Anyway JB's was the diviest of the dives, many illegal and immoral things happening there, I used to see the bartenders snorting coke off the bar, the place usually reeked of pot smoke, ahh the good old days...probably not there anymore, too long ago, makes me sad
Red Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 08:52 PM   #14
dickieC
Professional ZeMonkey

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Princess
Oh yes it is true about American women and British accents!! Also those Irish accents, I know a guy from Ulster and I could listen to him talk for days (preferably naked though)
Yes, I love the Irish thing too. Had a big crush on an Irish lass though it came to naught a while ago. But it's VERY seductive. Gets me every time.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:27 PM   #15
amanda
old s'cool

Yes. Both my boyfriends have been British- kind of difficult for a young yank lass who has never been there. Absolutely loved a group of three Irishmen I traveled with for a bit, but not just for their accents.

Serendipty- damn that stupid recent film for ruining a good word- is great. I met an fisherman in NZ heading for Samoa- and again in Tonga. And yet again back in NZ. Once while I was hitchhiking there, a nice older gentleman picked me up- who happened to live about three streets away from where I used to live in the States.

Funny ol' world.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: