masterofNone
________

weird news

this is bizarre.
add your weird news of the day...
Old 02-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Coffee
Cheeses Save

holy fark...that would scare the crap outa me if that happened while I was on a flight.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:15 AM   #3
chuckie egg
a peach

Those wacky Christians
Old 02-11-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
lapietra
half baked

man... it's bad enough to be stuck on a bus with a guy like that...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
rapscalious rob

teacher resigns after taping student to desk

Old 03-03-2004, 08:35 PM   #6
zenbabe
Lollypop!

A Nation of Wimps

Donald Johnson sued a West Palm Beach, Fla., Shoney's restaurant for $55,000 because he thought its clam chowder was potato soup, and the chowder left him with nightmares; in January, he won $407 in damages.

And in January, Tanisha Torres of Wyandanch, N.J., filed a lawsuit against Radio Shack because she was offended that a clerk had listed her hometown in the store's records by a local joke name, "Crimedanch," which she said makes her feel like a criminal.

And William Tremmel filed a lawsuit in September against a company repairing the boardwalk at Virginia Beach, Va., after he used its portable toilet without permission; some of the workers, fed up with strangers using their facility, blocked Tremmel inside for 25 minutes before letting him out, for which "mental suffering" he now wants $100,000. [Palm Beach Post, 1-28-04] [Newsday, 2-4-04] [Virginian-Pilot, 9-27-03]

-Dr. Seuss
Old 03-09-2004, 12:49 AM   #7
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Perhaps he's trying to Shorten his life

Handyman Nailed with His Own Nail Gun

SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian handyman admitted he was stupid to shoot himself in the head with a nail gun in a misguided prank that left him with a nail lodged in his brain.

Brad Shorten, a father of three from Victoria state, was enjoying a few beers with friends after working on his house when they began joking about industrial accidents.

Shorten, 33, picked up a nail gun that he thought was empty, pointed it at his head and pulled the trigger.

He later said he had turned off the gun's compressor and taken out its nail cartridge but did not realize there was still enough pressure in the gun to fire a nail.

"My mates and I were talking about construction site accidents and taking your eye out with a nail gun, and I foolishly put the gun to my head and pulled the trigger," Shorten told the Sunday Herald Sun newspaper.

"I did a very stupid thing," he said.

The bizarre mishap left him with a 1.25-inch nail counter-sunk through his skull just behind his temple.

Royal Melbourne Hospital neurosurgeons removed the nail in a delicate four-hour operation even though Shorten, who was expected to make a full recovery, had offered to take the nail out with a pair of pliers.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #8
daverbee
Key Lime Pie rocks!!!

When I first got into construction work, we were painting houses near a trim carpentry crew who would have "wars" at lunch every day and shoot nails at each other.
considering I've seen people do some *seriously* stupid things at construction sites, this doesn't seem all that weird to me, sorry.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Darwin Contender

-Dr. Seuss
Old 04-07-2004, 07:55 PM   #10
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Unhappy Ummm .....

Body piercing is so 1990s. From Holland comes the newest thing, pierced eyeballs.

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - Body piercing and tattoos make way. The latest fashion trend to hit the Netherlands is eyeball jewellery.

Dutch eye surgeons have implanted tiny pieces of jewellery called "JewelEye" in the mucous membrane of the eyes of six women and one man in cosmetic surgery pioneered by an ophthalmic surgery research and development institute in Rotterdam.

The procedure involves inserting a 3.5 mm (0.13 inch) wide piece of specially developed jewellery -- the range includes a glittering half-moon or heart -- into the eye's mucous membrane under local anaesthetic at a cost of 500 to 1,000 euros ($1,232).

"In my view it is a little more subtle than (body) piercing. It is a bit of a fun thing and a very personal thing for people," said Gerrit Melles, director of the Netherlands Institute for Innovative Ocular Surgery (www.NIIOC.nl).

The piece of jewellery is inserted in the conjunctiva -- the mucous membrane lining the inner surface of the eyelids and front of the eyeball -- in sterile conditions using an operating microscope in a procedure taking about 15 minutes.

"Without doing any harm to the eye we can implant a jewel in the conjunctiva," Melles said. "So far we have not seen any side effects or complications and we don't expect any in the future."

The Rotterdam-based institute, which develops new ocular surgical techniques in corneal, cataract and retinal surgery, developed and patented the jewellery made with special materials and the surgical procedure.

The institute, which carries out the procedure in cooperation with an eye clinic near the city of Utrecht, said it has a waiting list for people who wanted the implant.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
Frieda
in limbo

that's the weirdest thing i've ever seen!!

oh yeah
Old 04-07-2004, 11:56 PM   #12
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Woman gives herself a Caesarean

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3606845.stm

Woman gives herself a Caesarean

Baby was born healthy

A woman gave birth to a healthy baby boy after performing a Caesarean on herself with a kitchen knife.
It is thought to be the first known case of a self-inflicted Caesarean in which both the mother and baby survived.

The unidentified 40-year-old, lived in a rural area of Mexico without electricity or running water, and eight hours from the nearest hospital.

The International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics reported the case.

The woman performed the operation when she could not deliver the baby naturally, having lost a previous baby due to labour complications.

Hard liquor

Dr R Valle, of the Dr Manuel Velasco Suarez Hospital in San Pablo, Mexico, said: "She took three small glasses of hard liquor and, using a kitchen knife, sliced her abdomen in three attempts and delivered a male infant that breathed immediately and cried."

Before losing consciousness, the woman told one of her children to call a local nurse for help.

After the nurse stitched the wound with a sewing needle and cotton thread, the mother and baby were transferred and treated by Dr Valle and his colleagues at the nearest hospital.

"This case represents an unusual and extraordinary decision by a woman in labour who, unable to deliver herself spontaneously, and with no medical help or resources, decided to perform a caesarean section upon herself," he said.

He added that a mother's instinct to save her child can move a woman to perform extraordinary acts but said it would not have been necessary if adequate medical care had been available.

Professor James Walker, professor of obstetrics and gynaecology at St James's University Hospital, Leeds, said he had heard of cases in the past where farmers had performed Caesareans on their wives after having previously carried out the operation on animals.

But he said it would not happen now. "In this country, there is virtually never a situation when an individual is totally isolated from medical care even in the most outlying areas."
Old 04-08-2004, 02:19 AM   #13
zenbabe
Lollypop!

ouch and ouch...

both bad ideas........

-Dr. Seuss
Old 04-08-2004, 10:04 AM   #14
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Yeah, I know.. but.. what a noble thing! Go mums!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:09 AM   #15
chuckie egg
a peach

Wow, brave lady!

That eye thing is just wrong, piercings are fine, but you shouldn't mess with your eyes! nooooooo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: