dinzdale
King of the špatnύs

Punishment ?
dinzdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:57 PM   #17
bentoboo
monkey

Lots and Lots and Lots and lots of well labeled boxes

also don't forget your attic. We moved out of out last house and forgot to pack up our attic.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:33 PM   #18
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Leave books (except your favorite ones) at home. Books are a PITA to move, anything you feel you need you can pick up @ Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays.

Make a traveling bag of everything you use to get ready in the morning. Pack absolutely everything except this bag + 1 complete outfit.

Since you are you, do not wear platforms when moving.

Do not pack dishes, you are in college now. That is what paper plates & solo 16oz cups are for. You WILL need the pots & pans though.

Most everything you can get after you are already there, and can see what you need. Rummage sales are your best friend for this.

Pay friends in pizza.

Write on boxes which room & what is in the box.

Make sure you have a vacuum cleaner.

On the way to Ohio, pick up some orange cleaner or cleaner w/bleach, Windex (do not cheap out!!! blue glass cleaner @ the dollar store is not the same thing!!!) new sponges, baking soda, paper towels (again, do not cheap out, get Viva or Bounty), and scissors. They will "clean" the apt before you move in, but it will seldom be to your standards. Clean the bathroom, kitchen, baseboards, windows, counters, then sprinkle the baking soda over the carpet, leave it for 5 min & then vacuum. Voila! Clean new apt!

Make a list of kitchen staples you will need (milk, bread, eggs, etc), then try & find an Aldi's--go get this stuff while the boys unpack the truck. (Yes, I am a sexist pig. Oink oink, baby)

Check out rummage sales & Salvation Army & Goodwill for furniture once you get there.

Good luck Clytiebaby!
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #19
quiltpattern
All drivel all the time

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapietra
If you have really big things (like a fridge) that you absolutely must take with you, PAY SOMEONE ELSE TO MOVE IT FOR YOU. I can't stress this enough.
Better yet, get someone else to move it for you and then never pay them for it!!! When they try to find you, you can always claim they're stalking you. But I'd look up the definition of fraud first. It's interesting too.

Employers routinely check prospective employees credit ratings these days. If you move to a new city without paying your old bills (car payments, utilities, Sallie Mae), you may find yourself unemployable. I wonder how many people know that -- or are learning it the hard way?
quiltpattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:06 AM   #20
lapietra
half baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiltpattern
Better yet, get someone else to move it for you and then never pay them for it!!! When they try to find you, you can always claim they're stalking you. But I'd look up the definition of fraud first. It's interesting too.

Employers routinely check prospective employees credit ratings these days. If you move to a new city without paying your old bills (car payments, utilities, Sallie Mae), you may find yourself unemployable. I wonder how many people know that -- or are learning it the hard way?
Hi everyone!

I'm sure you'll be happy to note that "quiltpattern" is my stepmother, who is also "pogo". Let's give her a warm welcome, shall we? She's not stalking me, or anything.

Last edited by lapietra : 08-03-2005 at 12:09 AM.
lapietra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:17 AM   #21
lapietra
half baked

Oh - and - by the way - she knows *everything* about me, because she can read my mind. In fact, she knows me better than I know myself! Isn't that amazing! It's because she has a PhD in psychology, which means she knows EVERYTHING.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:25 AM   #22
xfox
slightly effective

Hi Quiltpattern. Welcome.

Ok Clytie - My Mom was a Navy wife and she moved 28 times between 1945-60. Get a directors chair and a clip board. Place the chair near the back of the moving truck when everything is boxed and then mark off the boxes and furniture as it is loaded by the movers on the truck.

All the other suggestions about marking the boxes is very good.

Good luck. I think you're a nurse, right? So you can work anywhere you want. Supply and demand, you know.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:26 AM   #23
lapietra
half baked

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfox
Hi Quiltpattern. Welcome.
My sarcasm was too subtle, I see.

Last edited by lapietra : 08-03-2005 at 01:25 AM.
lapietra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:34 AM   #24
xfox
slightly effective

Right, sorry. PhD = Piled higher and deeper, I think.
xfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:53 AM   #25
Hermione
monkey

Rude.

Quote:

Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #26
zefrank
-------------

listen...i don't know you...but i'm getting the feeling that you are using this board just to take pot shots at one of me lovely monkeys and are not actually interested in this place for any other reason.

please let me know.

i'm having a hard time thinking a grown up person is posting this drivel.

Quote:

zefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:00 AM   #27
Clytie
thundering is my favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeismyhero
I live in Ohio...

Why are you moving here if not for work, hmmm?
school!!! i need to finish
bound by the rich red that runs coarsing
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Clytie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 AM   #28
Clytie

have u been stalking me pfp love??? lol

i have everything boxed up...my whole life is in 7 rubber tubs (sorted and labeled!)

i left all the books i wont read in the attic at the parents house

i still have 2 loads of laundry to do before i leave (the clothes im wearing fort he next 2 weeks)

ive been packing barefoot

i have silverware, 4 plastic cups, 1 plate, 4 bowls and my entire pampered chef collection... i have almost $2000 in kitchen stuffs

I HAVE NO VACCUM CLEANER!!!!!!!!

i made a list of cleaning supplies...im going to get mom to buy me stuff from sams...BUY IN BULK BABY!

Im going to Aldis on friday with my best married friend.

----------------

the best thing about moving...i have friends that have given me what i need. bed frame, couch, dresser, table, side table.

i still want some shelves, a full length mirror and a vaccum!
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Old 08-03-2005, 06:09 AM   #29
Clytie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
You will be about: Driving distance: 135.8 mile(s) Driving time: 2 hour(s) 34 minute(s) from me. Akron is south-east from me...Welcome to Ohio! Feel lucky you aren't moving to my town..we have the hightest utilities in the state..and one of the highest in the country!
oooo! i wanna see you sometime!!!
united we stand
stronger than before
able to face the dark
with hands entwined
Old 08-03-2005, 06:18 AM   #30
Frieda
in limbo

find an ikea for cheap plates cups and other stuff..

you can also look at cups & plates & glasses made for restaurants & hotels, those will last forever and don't break or crack.

- get fire/theft/flooding insurance as soon as you move in if that's possible in the usa, idunno!
- change the locks
- check the windows for security
- check the fire exits & how to get out in an emergency and write down the emergency numbers (family, friends) in a place where others can find them
- find out how to turn off all electricity at once in your house
- if you have a gas stove check and if necessary, replace the hose, find out how to turn it off completely
- get a good first-aid box
- make friends with the neighbors
- bring a CD player & CDs
- invite friends
- party!

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: