Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2004, 03:13 PM   #1
zenbabe
Lollypop!

Cops

What are your feelings?

Sex aid saleswoman charged with obscenity

BEN MCCONVILLE IN NEW YORK

ACROSS the world they have become as routine as a Tupperware party, but now a seller of sex aids has fallen foul of obscenity laws in Texas.

Joanne Webb, a former fifth-grade teacher, executive board member of the local Chamber of Commerce and mother of three, was called to Johnson County Court, 50 miles south-west of Dallas, and charged with a misdemeanour under the state’s obscenity law. After an anonymous complaint, undercover drugs officers posing as a dysfunctional married couple in search of a sex aid entrapped the saleswoman for Passion Parties. If convicted, she faces a year in prison and a $4,000 (£2,290) fine.

Mrs Webb said: "What I did was not obscene. What’s obscene is that the government is taking action about what we do in our bedrooms."

Pat Davis, the president of Passion Parties, said the incident was the first time in ten years of trading that one of the company’s 3,000 sales consultants had been arrested. She said the "company was outraged by the charges and stood behind Mrs Webb".

Ms Davis added: "It makes you wonder what they’re thinking out there in Texas. They sound like prudes, with antiquated laws. They must have all their street crime under control in Texas if they’re going to spend tax money arresting us."

For the past 12 months, Mrs Webb has sold the company’s line of vibrators, gels, lubricants and creams.

The merchandise is offered for sale in private, Tupperware-style parties to women who may be reluctant to visit a sex shop. Sex shops get around the laws by posting signs that say sex toys are "sold only as novelties", but Ms Webb did not do that.

Ms Davis said: "Our products are not obscene. All we’re trying to do is help people build loving relationships. We’re doing a wonderful service, and we’re not doing anything wrong." Mrs Webb believes she got in trouble because she ruffled feathers in town by daring to join the local Chamber of Commerce with her sex toy business. She said her arrest had caused her husband of 20 years to suffer a nervous breakdown.

Mrs Webb said she was amazed the narcotics squad was put on the case. "We have a real problem with drugs in our schools, and they’re using our narcotics officers to entrap me for selling a vibrator," she said.

-Dr. Seuss
zenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Re: Cops

Quote:
Originally posted by zenbabe
Mrs Webb believes she got in trouble because she ruffled feathers in town by daring to join the local Chamber of Commerce with her sex toy business. She said her arrest had caused her husband of 20 years to suffer a nervous breakdown.
And that's exactly why she got busted. How dare she? They only want what they consider to be 'legitimate' businesses joining up. Too worried about appearances. Blah.

My feelings? It's not right. Let the woman sell dildos. Go out & catch rapists, robbers, murderers, etc.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
masterofNone
________

dildos for all.
masterofNone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:18 PM   #4
special K
askldjnasd fde

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU
special K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I can't believe it was a sting operation!

sucks to be a chick in Texas......

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-03-2004, 06:40 PM   #6
rapscalious rob

OMG do the have the farking Taliban working there or what? That is unbefrigginlievable. Maybe people who consider sexual pleasure a crime shouldn’t procreate-- that would take care of the problem.

I wonder why guns shows are okay but vibraters get people’s knickers all in a twist. This really tells something about people’s priorities.

I wonder what fodder thinks of this matter.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #7
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

Quote:
Originally posted by rapscalious rob
vibraters get people’s knickers all in a twist.
That made me giggle. Thanks.
Quote:
I wonder what fodder thinks of this matter.
Who do you think is behind this legislation?
Old 01-04-2004, 02:32 AM   #8
fodder

does the average person, under contemporary standards, find that - taken as a whole - this practice appeals to the prurient interest? no. bc it can be ruled off as educational

does this practice describe sexual conduct in an offensive way? fvck no, it's in the privacy of ones own home. only ppl who come are ppl who want to learn or improve sex life

when taken as a whole, does this practice lack serious literary, artistic, political or scientific value? no way.

and using this constituents is pushing it far enough, a violation of these may deem something 'obscene' but that's if it's being presented as public. this is wholly private.

there is no possible way she could get convicted. if they ignored the private thing, it's still educational
Old 01-04-2004, 02:35 AM   #9
fodder

and seriously why in the name of god do they have narcotics officers going undercover for something like this

i shouldnt have read this post. i saw a commercial for the presentation of this story on the news and got pissed off, like jesus the news just gets worse and worse. watch out for trees! your toilet paper may kill you! woman charged for holding passion parties!

people host these things in austin all the time and i don't see anyone thinking anything of it

(except that it's kind of weird)

ugh so ridiculous
Old 01-04-2004, 05:00 AM   #10
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I have a big problem with entrappment from the get go, to go after an upstanding community member that was helping out a couple that wasn't up to standards in the bedroom...

a dildo?

what the christ........

I wonder if they will make her sign up on the sex offender list....

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #11
fodder

yay for the sex offender list
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 PM   #12
zenbabe
Lollypop!

yeah, but do you really thinks she deserves to be on it?

-Dr. Seuss
Old 01-04-2004, 10:08 PM   #13
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

She is not going into schoolyards to host her parties. They are in the pirvacy of people's homes. She is not going door to door asking if they want to see the toys. Jesus H Titties. So wrong on so many levels. Lighten up already!
Old 01-05-2004, 12:13 AM   #14
fodder

if you read my previous posts regarding my opinion of this situation, you'd know that of course she doesnt deserve to be on it

just, you know
saying.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:44 AM   #15
zenbabe
Lollypop!

I think I am still just pissed about that ticket that I got....being a cop is a thankless job....I know they come in handy.......I just hate reading about shyte like this......

-Dr. Seuss

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: