ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2003, 08:24 AM   #1
xerocs
Lurk

where did your screen name come from?

my screen name was actually adapted from the following story... I took it when i was mushing on the college computers in 1993 and it has been with me ever since... how about yours? is there any specific meaning?

Back in the mid-1970s, several of the system support staff at Motorola discovered a relatively simple way to crack system security on the Xerox CP-V timesharing system. Through a simple programming strategy, it was possible for a user program to trick the system into running a portion of the program in `master mode' (supervisor state), in which memory protection does not apply. The program could then poke a large value into its `privilege level' byte (normally write-protected) and could then proceed to bypass all levels of security within the file-management system, patch the system monitor, and do numerous other interesting things. In short, the barn door was wide open.
Motorola quite properly reported this problem to Xerox via an official `level 1 SIDR' (a bug report with an intended urgency of `needs to be fixed yesterday'). Because the text of each SIDR was entered into a database that could be viewed by quite a number of people, Motorola followed the approved procedure: they simply reported the problem as `Security SIDR', and attached all of the necessary documentation, ways-to-reproduce, etc.

The CP-V people at Xerox sat on their thumbs; they either didn't realize the severity of the problem, or didn't assign the necessary operating-system-staff resources to develop and distribute an official patch.

Months passed. The Motorola guys pestered their Xerox field-support rep, to no avail. Finally they decided to take direct action, to demonstrate to Xerox management just how easily the system could be cracked and just how thoroughly the security safeguards could be subverted.

They dug around in the operating-system listings and devised a thoroughly devilish set of patches. These patches were then incorporated into a pair of programs called `Robin Hood' and `Friar Tuck'. Robin Hood and Friar Tuck were designed to run as `ghost jobs' (daemons, in Unix terminology); they would use the existing loophole to subvert system security, install the necessary patches, and then keep an eye on one another's statuses in order to keep the system operator (in effect, the superuser) from aborting them.

One fine day, the system operator on the main CP-V software development system in El Segundo was surprised by a number of unusual phenomena. These included the following:

Tape drives would rewind and dismount their tapes in the middle of a job.
Disk drives would seek back and forth so rapidly that they would attempt to walk across the floor (see walking drives).
The card-punch output device would occasionally start up of itself and punch a lace card. These would usually jam in the punch.
The console would print snide and insulting messages from Robin Hood to Friar Tuck, or vice versa.
The Xerox card reader had two output stackers; it could be instructed to stack into A, stack into B, or stack into A (unless a card was unreadable, in which case the bad card was placed into stacker B). One of the patches installed by the ghosts added some code to the card-reader driver... after reading a card, it would flip over to the opposite stacker. As a result, card decks would divide themselves in half when they were read, leaving the operator to recollate them manually.
Naturally, the operator called in the operating-system developers. They found the bandit ghost jobs running, and gunned them... and were once again surprised. When Robin Hood was gunned, the following sequence of events took place:

!X id1

id1: Friar Tuck... I am under attack! Pray save me!
id1: Off (aborted)

id2: Fear not, friend Robin! I shall rout the Sheriff
of Nottingham's men!

id1: Thank you, my good fellow!

Each ghost-job would detect the fact that the other had been killed, and would start a new copy of the recently slain program within a few milliseconds. The only way to kill both ghosts was to kill them simultaneously (very difficult) or to deliberately crash the system.

Finally, the system programmers did the latter -- only to find that the bandits appeared once again when the system rebooted! It turned out that these two programs had patched the boot-time OS image (the kernel file, in Unix terms) and had added themselves to the list of programs that were to be started at boot time (this is similar to the way MS-DOS viruses propagate).

The Robin Hood and Friar Tuck ghosts were finally eradicated when the system staff rebooted the system from a clean boot-tape and reinstalled the monitor. Not long thereafter, Xerox released a patch for this problem.

It is alleged that Xerox filed a complaint with Motorola's management about the merry-prankster actions of the two employees in question. It is not recorded that any serious disciplinary action was taken against either of them
xerocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:27 AM   #2
chuckie egg
a peach

Mines from the old computer game... Chuckie Egg (surprisingly)

Theres been a thread on this subject previously, but a lot of new members have joined since then.....

chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:30 AM   #3
bealeblues
where's my salt?

mine is from beale street in memphis, and the blues is simple enough-- the blues played on beale street....
Old 07-31-2003, 08:33 AM   #4
Frieda
in limbo

mine's just stupid, no story whatsoever! not even my real name.. isn't that weird?

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:36 AM   #5
chuckie egg
a peach

Haha!!
chuckie egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Frieda
in limbo

seriously, i'm probably the only one that has no story behind a screen name.. lol

oh yeah
Frieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
malina
leaving

mine means raspberry in polish and is also the name of my goddaughter
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:20 AM   #8
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

Allegro coz it means lively and upbeat

Ng coz it's my name

And AllegroNg is my favorite in a lot of concertos
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
priceyfatprude
girthy pickles

cheapskinnywhor registered.

I thought that was the dumbest name of the century, so I had to come up w/something equally as dumb, but the opposite.
priceyfatprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:42 AM   #10
AllegroNg
What I Am Wearing.

I think your story is my fave, PFP
AllegroNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:42 AM   #11
dinzdale
King of the špatnýs

Monty Python Sketch when I was young...
The Pirranah Brothers, Doug & Dinsdale

been my nickname for 25 yrs
dinzdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:43 AM   #12
malina
leaving

Quote:
Originally posted by priceyfatprude
cheapskinnywhor registered.

I thought that was the dumbest name of the century, so I had to come up w/something equally as dumb, but the opposite.
i've been waiting a long time to hear this
malina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:12 AM   #13
agentsmith
rap geisha

uh....mine's a little on the obvious side.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:21 AM   #14
trisherina
meretricious dilettante

Something someone used to call me. Someone I knew professionally who apparently had more impact on me than I thought.
Old 07-31-2003, 11:26 AM   #15
Yes
Barbie Mädchen

No was taken, and I didn't think they'd let me register Bitchbert.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: