ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > DEBATE HALL
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
Brynn
constantly amazed

Best Actor: Daffy or Bugs?

Some would say Bugs Bunny because he was a more versatile character actor, while others could argue for Mr. Duck's spontaneity and passion.

One relied on style, costuming, actor's "tricks," and sheer attitude.

The other was a pure Method actor - powerful, but self-indulgent and often out-of-control.

Who was the greater artist?
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

Bugs of course. Duck was cute but spit.
Jack Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Smartypants
MR. Smartypants to you.

Location: Oh, YOU PEOPLE go ahead and call it "Frisco." See if I care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
Some would say Bugs Bunny because he was a more versatile character actor, while others could argue for Mr. Duck's spontaneity and passion.

One relied on style, costuming, actor's "tricks," and sheer attitude.

The other was a pure Method actor - powerful, but self-indulgent and often out-of-control.

Who was the greater artist?
I just want to state here and now that I am NOT the type of guy who goes around gossiping about Brynn when she goes a little overboard with the cocktails, if you catch my drift.

"I don't think God wants us to believe in him. If he wanted us to believe in him he'd do something about it -- like exist perhaps!" --Linda Smith
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

So, Smarty, Bugs or Daffy? UHM?
Old 12-29-2005, 02:10 AM   #5
topcat
monkey

i think barney rubble got them both beat.

This is an internet bulletin board.

Nothing more. Nothing less
topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:05 AM   #6
Hyakujo's Fox
left hanging

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants
I just want to state here and now that I am NOT the type of guy who goes around gossiping about Brynn when she goes a little overboard with the cocktails, if you catch my drift.
__
Hyakujo's Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:57 AM   #7
Brynn
constantly amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Flanders
Bugs of course. Duck was cute but spit.
So are you saying that Bugs is the superior actor because he didn't spit?

One could argue that Daffy gets so emotionally involved in all the scenes he's in that he forgets himself in the role and truly becomes the character. Or, perhaps the spitting is a conscious acting choice he's made for comedic effect.

In contrast, Bugs is all polish, yes. But I'm sure he's been seen to spit on an occasion or two. I can't cite any particular episodes, but it happens when he gets flustered and drops out of whatever character he's parading around as.

One thing I'll give you for the moment - he does great in drag. Can't be beat. But you really should try arguing your case in more detail, please!

Topcat:
As for Barney Rubble - he's a wonderful, understated - and perhaps underappreciated - character actor, yes, but I'd hardly put him in the same league as any Looney Tunes actor. If you want to talk about talented character actors, let's compare him to the great Foghorn Leghorn and consider who would naturally fall into shadow if the two did a scene together! IMHO, of course, Barney wouldn't have had a career at all without Fred Flintstone. This is not to denigrate his naturalistic style - it's just a comment on an entertainment genre that requires so much more than just being a best buddy's foil to be considered a superstar.

Smarty:
Grey Goose Martini or do you prefer something else? I'm out of cocktail olives, but I suggest you go smoke something - crack, yes, smoke some crack of course. Then come back, and we'll get you fixed right up (thanks Hfox, for the brilliant sound bite).

Last edited by Brynn : 12-30-2005 at 05:05 AM. Reason: I've forgotten already
Old 05-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #8
Neal

Daffy is like Kevin Spacey, Bugs is like Jack Nicholson

Daffy is a better at the ensemble. He is a generous performer, working to make the entire cast shine. He keeps his head down, and he keeps it real.

Bugs is more raw. He steals every scene he's in. He's a star, a diva, a crowd pleaser, and an entertainer. He's great in a one-man show.

Two great talents, like apples and oranges.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #9
jasmina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynn
Bugs is all polish
I thought he was all American?

Bugs wins hands down for his brilliantly executed comic timing
jasmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:42 AM   #10
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

I'm going to have to go with Daffy. The Robin Hood episode had me in stitches the first few times I saw it. His dry sarcasm and egotistic foibles were freaking hilarious to me. And now, I get to work with people just... like... him. ;-)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #11
Coffee
Cheeses Save

Sure, Bugs and Daffy...everyone loves the Stars.

But I think the most poignent scenes, the most tear jerking emotional, pathos filled scenes are those with Elmer Fudd. Fudd IMHO is the best actor of the lot. Bugs was a showman; the spit and polish Fred Astair type versatile, yet too slick, and Daffy was the Dean Martin, a character, a type...Gauranteed that Daffy would "lose it"/spit at some point. Elmer however rose to whatever challenge was put in front of him like a shakespearean trained actor. Who could forget his tragic "side kick" role in the frenzied remake of Wagner's Das Rheingold.

However for me the defining moment in Fudd's acting career was the simple lament; "I once had wery wovewy goylfwiend, but she turned ouwt to be a wabbbit"...I'm welling up wight now...sniff.
Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 12:38 AM   #12
Jack Flanders
landscaping is fun

And wasn't the wabbit Bugs? Or maybe thats when I was on dwugs?
Old 05-23-2006, 07:54 PM   #13
Sunnybunny
Dizzy Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee
Sure, Bugs and Daffy...everyone loves the Stars.

But I think the most poignent scenes, the most tear jerking emotional, pathos filled scenes are those with Elmer Fudd. Fudd IMHO is the best actor of the lot. Bugs was a showman; the spit and polish Fred Astair type versatile, yet too slick, and Daffy was the Dean Martin, a character, a type...Gauranteed that Daffy would "lose it"/spit at some point. Elmer however rose to whatever challenge was put in front of him like a shakespearean trained actor. Who could forget his tragic "side kick" role in the frenzied remake of Wagner's Das Rheingold.

However for me the defining moment in Fudd's acting career was the simple lament; "I once had wery wovewy goylfwiend, but she turned ouwt to be a wabbbit"...I'm welling up wight now...sniff.
Good point about Elmer. They really did toss him into a wide variety of roles that extended beyond the befuddled hunter.

Now, if the question had been "who's your favorite Warner character" I'd not have chosen Bugs or Daffy.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #14
jasmina

Bugs was a method actor, pure and simple. I will have nothing bad said about Bugs. Full stop.
jasmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:07 PM   #15
Brynn
constantly amazed

Wow. Bugs a Method actor???? We may just have to agree to disagree on that one. I would put him more in the Laurence Olivier "Why don't you just try acting my dear boy - it's so much easier!" school. Perhaps he could be considered Method in the strict, classic Stanislavski (as opposed to the Lee Strasberg/Stella Adler) sense, but's that's as far as I go. Daffy is definitely the Method actor - his lunacy seems so frighteningly real at times, whereas with Bugs, one just can't get past the veneer and star power of it all.

I am so intrigued by Coffee's post about Elmer Fudd. You know, there's a case of a brilliant actor making his disabilities work for him in spite of all "rules" and dictates that would ordinarily ban someone from the entertainment field. Would he have been as effective without his speech impediment? Absolutely not. What if he'd been tall and handsome, with a full head of hair? He was always a sort of maverick that way - a testament to his skill that made us forget the trappings of movie-star prettiness as he mesmerized us with his hapless humanity. In terms of range as an actor, I think there's a reason he was so often paired with Bugs, who was, perhaps, his only true rival in talent.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: