ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2004, 01:00 PM   #1
Avalon

Locks of Love (read only)

I posted this in the "very important help me with my hair dilemma" thread as well.

The person who posted this is very misinformed. We are a 501 (c) 3. We sell unusable hair which is too short, grey or chemically damaged for $5/lb. These proceeds go toward the cost of making the hairpieces. Even though we use donated hair, each piece costs us $1,000.

We save our long hair for the children. Two inches of the length is lost in the manufacturing process so that long hair is very sought after. We are constantly looking through our inventory for 20 + inches of hair in particular requested colors. Please see http://www.locksoflove.org/manufacturing_process.php for more information on how are hairpieces are made.

I have never heard of a ponytail being sold on Ebay or any where else for that amount. Perhaps if it was Brooke Shields or some other celebrity.

Hope that answers your questions and dispels any rumors about our organization. I appreciate you asking the question so that you know the facts. I don't understand why some people portray themselves as authorities on things which they know nothing about.
Sincerely,
Susan
Susan Stone
Executive Director
Locks of Love
2925 10th Avenue North, Ste 102
Lake Worth, FL 33461
PH: 561-963-1677
FX: 561-963-9914
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Avalon : 04-15-2004 at 01:12 PM.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
fodder

oh.
Old 04-15-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
Willow Sylph
monkey

I have a friend here at work who just cut her butt-length red hair and donated it to Locks of Love. So did her daugther. Now she's trying to get me to cut my hair off and donate it. I'll have to think about that...
Knight 1: We are now the Knights who say.... "Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG! Zoom-Boing! Z'nourrwringmm!"
Willow Sylph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #4
Hermione
monkey

I'm growing my hair so i can donate =)
Hermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:14 PM   #5
Ilona
monkey

As if they would replay with: yeah we sell it illegally and make huge profit. Anyway lets hope I am misinformed

Well lot of the hair used for extensions is in fact from russian prisoners and poor girls in india that are forced to shave and sell, this besides LoL.
Ilona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:49 PM   #6
funkytuba
Spone to Proonerisms

Thanks for the interesting link, Ilona! There's a lot of great info about hair there.

For the specific reasons people seem to disapprove of LoL: see http://www.tlhs.org/faq.html and go down to the bottom.

Some legitimate concerns there, but not a lot of backed-up facts... mostly opinions.

The claim about the majority of the donated hair being resold could be of issue if you wanted to be sure that your hair made it onto some kid's head. Donate it to the cancer society if that's your concern.

Seems odd that the website complains about LoL not switching to soliciting cash donations, but then doesn't want them to sell the donated hair. I guess if you really care about your hair, as these people obviously do, then you'd want to be sure it became a charity-provided wig per the stated goal of LoL.

One of the links is to the Better Business Bureau's website which describes how LoL doesn't have an independently-audited financial statement available. If they continued to be out-of-compliance for a long period of time, it would concern me too.
The BBB's guidelines say that if you're a charity and you're under $100,000 your own internal statement is good enough; up to $250k, you've got to have an external accountant provide the statement, and above $250k, it has to be independently audited. LoL made $374,543 in 2002, so they fall into the third category.

So... make your own decision...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: