ZEFRANK.COM - message board  

Go Back   ZEFRANK.COM - message board > FAST CHAT
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #1
TheGinchiest
monkey

Do you ever frighten yourself?

Do you ever conjur up a terrifying mental image for no reason? Lying back to go to sleep, you glance at the window and hope a huge demon-dog isn't there... and sure enough... until you fall asleep, all you can think of is whatever snarling beast {1} you put out there in your head?

Or have you heard something shuffle in your apartment/home and immediately thought the worst? Break-in, crazed strangler, or previously mentioned demon-dog?

Have you ever caught yourself thinking the most hateful, ignorant, judgemental thoughts about someone... and been shaken by it? Someone you love? Someone you barely know?

Do you obsess over the miniscule chance that today could be the last day of your life?

I'm just wondering. It's 5:23 in Fargo North Dakota... sun is sort-of shining, windows are open... and I just gave myself the willies thinking about living in a basement level apartment with windows in 4 rooms... and only enough me to keep an eye on one.

I'm not the only one with irrational fears, am I?

{1} - The red-eyed creature in The Amityville Horror messed me up early.

*two lines from a song you also like*

*private joke for me and three others*
TheGinchiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
zero
ª ★ ª

what was the question again please?
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
Avalon

You mean Jodie, the pig? (Amityville)
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #4
nycwriters
Stuck in T.O.

Re: Do you ever frighten yourself?

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGinchiest
Do you ever conjur up a terrifying mental image for no reason? Lying back to go to sleep, you glance at the window and hope a huge demon-dog isn't there... and sure enough... until you fall asleep, all you can think of is whatever snarling beast {1} you put out there in your head?
Yes, but as everyone knows, as long as you keep all body parts under the thinnest bedsheet, you'll be protected.

... stick an arm or leg or even a toe out, however, and it'll grab ya!
nycwriters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
rapscalious rob

It’s true- you are the only person in the world who has irrational fears, Mr. Ginch. In fact, until now, I had never even heard the term “irrational” used with the word “fear.” Such an unusual juxtaposition. It really perplexes and troubles me. For good reason.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Re: Re: Do you ever frighten yourself?

Quote:
Originally posted by nycwriters
Yes, but as everyone knows, as long as you keep all body parts under the thinnest bedsheet, you'll be protected.

... stick an arm or leg or even a toe out, however, and it'll grab ya!
I thought I was the only one who knew that!

Oh, no!

If it's common knowledge, it's only a matter of time until THEY find out!

-- trisherina
sparticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 PM   #7
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGinchiest

Or have you heard something shuffle in your apartment/home and immediately thought the worst? Break-in, crazed strangler, or previously mentioned demon-dog?

Have you ever caught yourself thinking the most hateful, ignorant, judgemental thoughts about someone... and been shaken by it? Someone you love? Someone you barely know?

Do you obsess over the miniscule chance that today could be the last day of your life?

I'm just wondering. It's 5:23 in Fargo North Dakota... sun is sort-of shining, windows are open... and I just gave myself the willies thinking about living in a basement level apartment with windows in 4 rooms... and only enough me to keep an eye on one.

I'm not the only one with irrational fears, am I?

{1} - The red-eyed creature in The Amityville Horror messed me up early.
I have done all of the above.

I think the worst is to have an awful, nasty, mean, even cruel thought about a dearly loved one (or a total stranger). It feels ugly and shivery, like seeing something grotesque and vaguely taboo.

The spider dangling over you every time you close your eyes as you lie in bed (the huge one that disappears every time you open them) is no picnic either, though, let me tell you, mister. I hate him almost as bad as the skeleton/Reaper/Dia de la Muerta dude pacing up the middle of our street, eerily illuminated by the metallic glare of the streetlight, his leering grin seeking out those foolish enough to glance out the window too late at night....

Makes ya wonder what primal neurosynaptic junctions give rise to these little scraps of ugliness. It is simultaneously reassuring and scary to know that everybody gets 'em.

-- trisherina
Old 08-09-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
TheGinchiest
monkey

I was around... 7 or 8 when my Mom started leaving me alone when she went to work. I was pretty self-sufficient then... the only problem I ever had was getting to sleep.

I could only fall asleep if I was terrified. I'd imagine the most cliche' monsters and ooky things coming out of the darkness to watch over me, waiting for me to open my eyes to gobble me up.

I did that until I was in my late teens, when I replaced my normal routine of ooking myself out with listening to music.

I couldn't sleep last weekend, so I tried the ol' 'The Wolfman is gonna getcha if you open your eyes' bit... except... I dunno... maybe my imagination is just better now... because I ended up in my living room, back to the wall... several lights on, and tv blaring.

*currently has feet tucked firmly under blanket*

Old 08-09-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I don't know why, but adolescence and college years seemed to make the scary stuff go away for me too.

Then, when I was in my thirties, I started to get creeped out again at night.

I'd see some of the old familiar terrors and think, "You again. I thought I got rid of you!"

Now that I'm in my forties they have gone away again. Sometimes I call them up out of boredom, but they seem more controllable now.

The out-of-nowhere uncharitable thoughts seem to be going strong, though. I hate those. They're rare, but they're nasty.

-- trisherina
Old 08-09-2004, 09:42 PM   #10
Avalon

I love horror movies. Sooo, one weekend while my husband was off fishing, I decided to have a movie marathon for myself.

1. In The Mouth Of Madness

2. Event Horizon

3. The Others

4. The Exorcist (with added scenes )

By the time I got 20 minutes into the Exorcist, I was on the phone with my brother begging him to come over and sleep at my house. I had myself so freaked out I was sitting with all 4 dogs and all the lights on, when he got there. I didn't sleep right for the next 2 weeks.
I haven't been afraid to be alone since I was about 14..now, every once in a while, it just sneaks up on me again
*shudders*

(What is even worse is to be sleeping just great and wake up terrified for no reason; like something is about to happen and it wants you awake to witness it....)
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it.
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Avalon : 08-09-2004 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:48 PM   #11
sparticle
Conspiracy Theorist

I have heard that the added spiderwalking scene in "The Exorcist" is about as creepy as it gets. I have every intention of taking everybody's word for it.

-- trisherina
Old 08-09-2004, 09:51 PM   #12
Avalon

Quote:
Originally posted by sparticle
I have heard that the added spiderwalking scene in "The Exorcist" is about as creepy as it gets. I have every intention of taking everybody's word for it.
It is bad enough that Jeff slammed the dvd off and announced it made him feel unclean and that we should dispose of it. And he wasn't easily shaken.
Groucho Marx
Old 08-09-2004, 09:53 PM   #13
TheGinchiest
monkey

Re: Re: Do you ever frighten yourself?

Quote:
Originally posted by rapscalious rob
It’s true- you are the only person in the world who has irrational fears, Mr. Ginch. In fact, until now, I had never even heard the term “irrational” used with the word “fear.” Such an unusual juxtaposition. It really perplexes and troubles me. For good reason.
I'm an innovator.

Also, the urban tale that gives me the most jibblies...

*warning - disturbing... to me, anyway... I'm sure this won't inspire a 'COOL!' reaction in anyone... I'm just saying... *

Snopes

Yeah... this is one that keeps me curled up tight, eyes clenched shut.

And the dangly spider? The one that's there just long enough for me to focus on it, then it's gone?

I hate that guy.

Old 08-09-2004, 11:43 PM   #14
madasacutsnake
no more nice girl

Xanax, people, Xanax.

I like the one about the girl being followed in her car late at night until she finally runs into a police station. To have the police come out and find an axe murderer hiding in her back seat. The follower was trying to warn her.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:07 AM   #15
PenelopePitstop
monkey

Why would I ever want to do such a terrible thing? There are enough scary things in this world without me having to conjure up more.
PenelopePitstop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: